PDA

View Full Version : Epilepsy fears: Should I pursue further testing?

MynameisSashaJ
30-11-16, 09:10
Hi, guys! My name is Sasha and I'm new here, although I've been lurking for years as my anxiety has been with me for over 10 years.

Here's the deal: 2.5 years ago I've had an episode or intense confusion, derealization and fragmentary memory loss. It was the scarriest experience of my life, but I tossed it off to a Paxil withdrawal and anxiety.

This September, however, the very same thing happened to me again. And to a lesser extent happened twice in the past two weeks. I've made an appointment with my therapist and he seemed positive it was just an anxiety flare-up, but referred me for an EEG just to be sure.

While I was waiting for my EEG I (as you do :blush:) googled my symptoms and found them 100% consistent with temporal love epilepsy. In fact, I've never read a more accurate description of my experience. So, I was convinced I had it and that it was due to a brain tumor :weep:

My EEG came back "normal for a person in an acute state of panic" which I was during the testing. My psychotherapist says the EEG poses no cause for concern, not even enough to schedule an appointment with an epileptologist/neurologist.

My health anxiety is taking the best of me, guys :scared10: I read that temporal lobe epilepsy is hard to diagnose outside an actual seizure. Should I trust my therapist and try to let it go, or should I pursue further testing like the MRI? An appointment with an epileptologist, perhaps?

Thank you!

MynameisSashaJ
01-12-16, 15:09
I'm really sorry for the bump, but isn't there anyone who could help me ? :unsure:

Fishmanpa
01-12-16, 15:27
Sasha,

Scientific medical testing have shown nothing to be concerned with. Just as an example, my wife was taken very seriously ill with a very rare form of encephalitis. Her EMG (and all other tests) was consistent with the illness so tests like that don't miss issues.

You Googled and diagnosed yourself. That coupled with your anxiety has you grasping at straws when the answer is clearly your anxiety.

Trust your therapist.

Positive thoughts