PDA

View Full Version : Short, intense head pressure. Worries of seizure.

Twisted-Melody
30-11-16, 10:08
Hi all. This is my first post on the boards. Nice to meet you.

I've had health anxiety for years now, and I was just thinking a few days ago how long it had been since my last bout of worries. Sadly, it didn't last. A few days later, I experienced tremendous fear whilst watching TV.

I have social anxiety too, and recently watching people argue or have raised voices sets me right on edge. If I can't run away and stop watching the screen, it feels as though my head absorbs all the fight or flight symptoms all at once. It feels like pressure on either side of my head, around my ears, just for 1-2 seconds. It's a really weird feeling, and I began to panic it was a seizure or something. Is this even possible? I feel conscious whilst it happens, but also like my body is not in my control.

I've had extremely tight neck and shoulder muscles in the past with my social anxiety, which often gives me odd headaches, but this feels so quick and intense I'm wondering if it really is the same thing, maybe just heightened?

I've not been too good with flashy light recently either... I haven't had a seizure or anything, but I think I'm anxious about having one. When I'm at a gig or watching a film that flashes, I always close my eyes. It feels too over-stimulating. I didn't use to feel as sensitive as this :(

KeeKee
30-11-16, 10:16
I always get head pressure. Having it right now around my temples. Sometimes it's like water running from one side of my head to the other. Doubt it's anything seizure related.

As for the flashing lights I'm similar in that I tend to turn away or close my eyes. I don't know if this is due to sensitivity or because my anxiety makes me worry I'll have an epileptic seizure, even though I've never been diagnosed with epilepsy.

Gary A
30-11-16, 10:18
Hi all. This is my first post on the boards. Nice to meet you.

I've had health anxiety for years now, and I was just thinking a few days ago how long it had been since my last bout of worries. Sadly, it didn't last. A few days later, I experienced tremendous fear whilst watching TV.

I have social anxiety too, and recently watching people argue or have raised voices sets me right on edge. If I can't run away and stop watching the screen, it feels as though my head absorbs all the fight or flight symptoms all at once. It feels like pressure on either side of my head, around my ears, just for 1-2 seconds. It's a really weird feeling, and I began to panic it was a seizure or something. Is this even possible? I feel conscious whilst it happens, but also like my body is not in my control.

I've had extremely tight neck and shoulder muscles in the past with my social anxiety, which often gives me odd headaches, but this feels so quick and intense I'm wondering if it really is the same thing, maybe just heightened?

I've not been too good with flashy light recently either... I haven't had a seizure or anything, but I think I'm anxious about having one. When I'm at a gig or watching a film that flashes, I always close my eyes. It feels too over-stimulating. I didn't use to feel as sensitive as this :(

Absolutely not a siezure, and almost certainly nothing more than anxiety manifesting itself physically.

If you're anxious about a siezure, your body will be on constant red alert. Your fight or flight is primed. This is what makes you more sensitive to things like bright lights and things of that nature.

The fight or flight triggers bodily responses, one of which is pupil dilation. This is in order to give you a better visual field in which to spot potential danger. It's a totally involuntary response to fight or flight. There are countless symptoms of anxiety and a constantly primed fight or flight response, this is merely one of them.

Twisted-Melody
30-11-16, 10:42
Thank you Gary and KeeKee. This puts my mind at rest. It just felt so quick and weird... and sadly got my health anxiety back right up again!

I'll try not to worry about it again, but I imagine that my social anxiety and fears should really get looked into if they're creating such a strong physical reaction.