PDA

View Full Version : Elevated Liver Enzymes along with other symptoms

LPL1987
30-11-16, 14:46
Hello Everyone, this is my first post, so I am not sure if I am doing this properly. But I have been worried sick after getting my latest blood test results from my primary doctor. Ok, so first, some basic facts about me: I am 29, female, weigh about 132 pounds, 5'2. I am not in good shape -- I have gained about ten pounds this year and my diet is not so great. I attribute this to working from home this year and not getting out as much, as well, quitting my gym membership.

I have been feeling "not quite right" basically all of this year. I have had irregular periods (long cycles, some light, some heavy). I went to my GYN who did a PAP smear for me as well as pelvic and transvaginal ultrasound, all clear. Along with strange periods, I was having some difficulty swallowing -- felt like there was constantly a lump in my throat. Convinced myself it was esophageal cancer, so I went to a GI who did not take me seriously but he gave me an endoscopy to give me peace of mind. The tests came back fine with some mild inflammation of stomach. He did not seem concerned. But, I think where I went wrong is that I think my problems are coming from below -- I have felt extremely constipated, not a lot of pee coming out, and a few days out of the past few months, would get blood on my tissue after bowel movement (this was outside of having a period). Again, my GI seemed unconcerned and said it was just hemorrhoids. However, my entire abdominal area feels extremely tight, and pain would radiate to the back, as well I have this constant pressure on my left pelvic area. My GI keeps telling me I am too young to have anything serious and our last meeting, he dismissed every one of my symptoms, but scheduled me for a colonoscopy because "you will probably come up with new things if I don't." Needless to say, I felt very discouraged by all this. Yes, I have anxiety and sometimes my symptoms turn out to be nothing, but I have not felt well at all for about an entire year.

Last week - and I really should have done this first - I went to my primary for my annual. I received a call on Saturday to say that I needed a follow-up. I panicked as that has never happened to me before. Yesterday I received my results and they are not good:

High cholesterol - total 222
Slightly dehydrated
Vitamin D deficiency
ALT enzyme at 47 (lab says should not be more than 32

Last year, my enzymes for liver were very low, and now I am very concerned by this jump in numbers (AST has risen as well, but remains in normal range). I am thinking there is something terribly wrong and that further investigations will find something awful. I have just been beside myself since I received all these results. My doctor has taken bloodwork for Hepatitis (will receive results maybe in a week), as well as an ultrasound (getting it tomorrow).

I am very sorry if that was too long but does anyone have any insight or similar stories? thank you very much if you read all that

skymaid
01-12-16, 16:58
I had very similar results to those (except my cholesterol was normal).

they put it down to not enough seafood and seeds in my diet. skipping meals and booze (I wasn't a heavy drinker).

since I fixed all those things my results are now perfect.

not sure if that helps but it shows its not always anything serious

LPL1987
01-12-16, 22:45
Thanks for your reply! My doc suggested some diet changes as well. I did go for my ultrasound today, and the tech told me there was just a bit of fatty liver, but did not seem very concerned about it. I'm going to try to just eat better and exercise more, and see if that will help with the numbers.

GlassPinata
07-01-17, 16:35
My ex-husband had elevated liver enzymes once, when he was tested in his mid 20s. I was worried about Hep C, but he tested negative for it. He was a bit overweight, and the doctor said that could cause the elevated levels.

crystal17
09-01-17, 12:17
I know someone who had elevated liver enzymes and like you had a scan which revealed a slightly fatty liver. The doctor wasn't worried and just told her to eat a bit healthier, she lost 2 stone and within a year her liver was fine. So although losing weight is difficult (believe me I know), it is fixable. Hope you will be ok.