PDA

View Full Version : Help... convinced i have a brain tumour!

Laaur_xo
01-12-16, 09:51
Hi all, so im new to this website and i suppose im here because im feeling a bit alone and looking for some reassurance.

So i will give a little history... I have had anxiety problems since i was 17 and im now 22. Ive had numerous amounts of CBT for my anxiety and it has helped and i do get out a lot now. But for the last 4 weeks, i have been 100% convinced i have a brain tumour.. my reasoning for this is because i have been having headaches that have gone all over my forehead and top of head and ive had a stiff/ achy neck as well.

So me being me, i have been on dr google and the first thing that seemed to pop up was brain tumour. At first, the only real symptoms i had based on the NHS and so on, was headaches and nausea, but the rational me, try to say well ive always had nausea as part of my anxiety anyway, so i have written that off. But then i started having vision problems and my mum suggested having an eye test, so having read about them, i was almost convinced that they were going to find a tumour.. they didnt.. but they did tell me that i am short sighted and now require glasses for distance, this has manifested, as i don't see how at my age, my vision suddenly has become worse, when i had no problems, say a month ago with seeing??

So ive spent the last 1/2 weeks reading about brain tumours online and now im focusing on my headaches seeming to be in one area all of sudden and thats on the top centre of my head. Ive read a load of stories about young people being misdiagnosed with headaches only to find out later that they have a brain tumour! This is terrifying me... my mum said to me i am actually living like i am dying!!

So i have already been to the opticians and i think they did a test for my peripheral vision? They had me look at a red dot and click a clicker, for the amount of green dots i saw around the screen, while staring at the red dot.. they said they have to do this, as i had complained of headaches and they said it checks for anything sinister... it came back normal. The optician also looked in my eyes with a light, everything came back normal, just short sighted.. glasses have helped with my distance, everything a lot clearer now.. but im not convinced the optician was thorough, as he didn't take a retinal image of my eye and i read that if you have a tumour, a shadow of some sort will show up on these images. I have also been to the doctors, who examined me, did neurological tests, strength of legs against his hand pushing, checking for numbness on face.. all normal... he too checked my eyes with the light thing, but im not convinced because he is newly qualified and he couldn't get the right setting on the light... :-( I asked for an MRI/CT and he said no as it didnt seem necessary. I must also add, that i have had rumbling in my ears too!!

I am at a loss.. im living and even saying to people that i will be dead before christmas, its ruining my life and my loved ones lives.

Help.. :-(

Colicab85
01-12-16, 10:07
As hard as it sounds try to think as logically as possible about this.

Numerous health experts have said there is nothing going on. They know a lot lot more than we do and would not tell you your fine if they genuinely thought there was something wrong. They would be jeopardising not only your health (the thing they are there to protect) but also their careers.

I need to believe these things myself, i struggle with brain worries too.

I am absolutely certain you are fine.

Laaur_xo
01-12-16, 10:12
Thank you, i just get worried, because you read all these stories on the newspaper websites about how the doctors genuinely didn't suspect anything was wrong and then there was.. and it makes me worry to no end.
Thank you for your kind reply.. glad i found this site!! :)

axolotl
01-12-16, 10:14
They had me look at a red dot and click a clicker, for the amount of green dots i saw around the screen, while staring at the red dot.. they said they have to do this, as i had complained of headaches and they said it checks for anything sinister... it came back normal. The optician also looked in my eyes with a light, everything came back normal, just short sighted.. glasses have helped with my distance, everything a lot clearer now.. but im not convinced the optician was thorough, as he didn't take a retinal image of my eye and i read that if you have a tumour, a shadow of some sort will show up on these images. I have also been to the doctors, who examined me, did neurological tests, strength of legs against his hand pushing, checking for numbness on face.. all normal... he too checked my eyes with the light thing, but im not convinced because he is newly qualified and he couldn't get the right setting on the light... :-( I asked for an MRI/CT and he said no as it didnt seem necessary. I must also add, that i have had rumbling in my ears too!!

Congratulations on the all clear! And if an optician and a neurologist don't think there's anything to worry about, neither should you.

This is a trap we have all fallen through at times, so this is a general comment about we health anxious people not addressed specifically at you, but there is a certain arrogance when you think about it to laypeople like us deciding trained medical professionals aren't doing their job properly. Being a "newly qualified" neurologist still means they've just completed a decade of gruelling, intensive training in exactly the thing they're looking at! Again, if an optician tells you you need glasses, you need glasses. What do you think they do all day?

You did the right thing in getting things checked out, but you can now put that aside as you have the all clear. You need to talk to medical professionals about what's really wrong, which is a flare-up of your anxiety.

KeeKee
01-12-16, 10:18
When I was 16 or 17 I had amazing vision. Once I'd turned 17 or 18 I became short sighted. It can literally happen overnight.

duke27
01-12-16, 10:23
I too have a fear of brain tumour. I have symptoms such as severe dizziness and balance problems. Your symptoms don't sound like brain tumour symptoms ans many different health professionals have said you don't have one, I guess we have to just trust them (as hard as that is!) I've heard that opticians are extremely good at finding any pressure within the brain etc and I would say you should try to trust them because they would know if there was anything sinister. I haven't had any tests which scares me because they won't test anything. I did have an eye test last year which I'm hoping will have picked anything up.

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

Oh I'm 22 also

Anxytips
01-12-16, 20:27
As above guys are saying I am sure you are just fine. If there was any concerns from the professionals then you would be in for MRI'S and everything by now. The symptoms are anxiety symptoms which we all here have gone through/had so so many times

Laaur_xo
01-12-16, 23:46
Thank you all for your replies. Im feeling a little calmer about it all now! Blooming anxiety eh?!