PDA

View Full Version : Lymph nodes behind ears

Bakebeansrule
02-12-16, 05:30
I noticed yesterday that my 5 year old has 2 hard little round lumps below/ behind her ear. She was laying on me nearly asleep andI stroking her hair when I noticed them. Her dad said she has the same the other side and is convinced it's where her new glasses sit but I think the lumps are too low down to be caused by the glasses. She has had a rotten cold all week so I'm wondering if it could be her lymph nodes fighting it. I trying my hardest not too Google to find out what they could be. Other than the cold shes her normal self

bartin
02-12-16, 11:02
They can be enlarged retroauricular lymph nodes (http://www.ehealthstar.com/swollen-lymph-nodes.php#retroauricular) due to cold - in this case they should disappear within few weeks.

Another possibility is that they are enlarged for a long time already as they can be sometimes to some extent in children.

Lymphoma can present with enlarged lymph nodes, but mainly at the front of the neck and in the armpits. If the nodes behind the ears are the only ones that are enlarged it is unlikely they are from lymphoma, leukemia or other cancer. Also, a child with lymphoma or leukemia would appear chronically ear.

If the lumps persist for more than 2 weeks you may want to get this checked by a doctor.

Bakebeansrule
04-12-16, 09:36
They can be enlarged retroauricular lymph nodes (http://www.ehealthstar.com/swollen-lymph-nodes.php#retroauricular) due to cold - in this case they should disappear within few weeks.

Another possibility is that they are enlarged for a long time already as they can be sometimes to some extent in children.

Lymphoma can present with enlarged lymph nodes, but mainly at the front of the neck and in the armpits. If the nodes behind the ears are the only ones that are enlarged it is unlikely they are from lymphoma, leukemia or other cancer. Also, a child with lymphoma or leukemia would appear chronically ear.

If the lumps persist for more than 2 weeks you may want to get this checked by a doctor.

Thank you for your reply. Today I've noticed the ones on the right side are almost gone but the ones on the left are still there. She did wake up this morning complaining of ear ache in her left ear so I'm wondering if it's all connected, she's had some calpol and seems fine again now. She still has a stuffy nose so she's not compleatly over her cold yet I'll give it a week and see how she is. Saying I'll give it a week is easier said than done