PDA

View Full Version : after image or hallucination?

helenhoo
02-12-16, 10:03
I was staring out the door into another room and then glanced at the floor and and there was a block moving downwards (in same way after image typically does). I immediately thought an after image from all the lights in my dads office. I did the same again and it happened but then mind ran straight to hallucination worry...

Gary A
02-12-16, 10:11
I was staring out the door into another room and then glanced at the floor and and there was a block moving downwards (in same way after image typically does). I immediately thought an after image from all the lights in my dads office. I did the same again and it happened but then mind ran straight to hallucination worry...

Congratulations, your eyes work. After images are normal as the eye adjusts to changes in light conditions, it gradually fades out the original image. There's far more to it than that, obviously, but that's the gist of the idea.

You're not hallucinating, you're not insane or psychotic, you don't have a brain tumour and you don't have schitzophrenia. You have eyes that are working as they should.

Please do not ignore this post and drag the thread on for days on end. There is NOTHING WRONG with you.

helenhoo
02-12-16, 10:20
Thanks Gary, it was just a bit odd as it wasn't the 'shape' if anything I'd been looking at, just a block.

I had a huge anxiety related dream last night in which my hair was falling out, I ad two huge cancerous freckles and giant tumors on my scalp and people were still telling me I was ok ha :/

Gary A
02-12-16, 10:25
Thanks Gary, it was just a bit odd as it wasn't the 'shape' if anything I'd been looking at, just a block.

I had a huge anxiety related dream last night in which my hair was falling out, I ad two huge cancerous freckles and giant tumors on my scalp and people were still telling me I was ok ha :/

As I said, the eye gradually fades out the original image so it'll never be a true reflection, just a warped faded version of it.

helenhoo
02-12-16, 10:38
You sure?

kerryann
02-12-16, 11:00
i should just sit back and ignore this, BUT!!!!! Gary has just given you his opinion which I might add would be the opinion of any one reading your post, yet still you come back with more!!!! you are not after reassurance you are deliberately trying to cause yet more turmoil. You should be ashamed of yourself and the fact that you are not tells anyone all they need to know!!!

Gary A
02-12-16, 11:07
You sure?

No, I just made it up.

helenhoo
02-12-16, 11:25
I associate after image with looking directly at lights not just out the door is all. As mentioned my first thought was a logical one

Colicab85
02-12-16, 11:39
This goes beyond health anxiety. Most people here are anxious because of (somewhat) unusual things that are happening to them. Headaches, twitching, shaking, pains, they may have found new things etc.

You seem to be worried about being a human being. WE ALL HAVE THAT! Images stay in your eyes for a few seconds after looking at them. Especially if they are largely different in light to dark or vice verse.

Gary A
02-12-16, 11:54
I associate after image with looking directly at lights not just out the door is all. As mentioned my first thought was a logical one

This is beyond a joke. In the last few months, people have basically had to hold your hand and guide you through the basics of being human. You had to be told that smelling smoke near smokers is normal or skid marks don't mean you've got cancer. What was it the other day? You'd put tights on in front of your auntie so that meant you had schitzophrenia? Now this utter rubbish?

This is nothing more than a forced moron act. You claim to be a school teacher yet I'm supposed to believe you have to be told the basic operations of a human eye? You need to be instructed that, horror of horrors, a females menstrual cycle might just make them a tad moody? A 25 year old school teacher really has to log on to an Internet forum full of strangers and be told that? Really?

What next Helen? I mean really, what next?

axolotl
02-12-16, 12:28
Step 1: OP posts a new thread about an irrational fear about normal bodily functions
Step 2: Someone posts reassurance
Step 3: OP refuses to accept reassurance (repeat Steps 2 and 3 as many times as is needed to instigate Step 4)
Step 4. Someone has a go at OP
Step 5. OP shrinks away from conversation while people argue about how to treat other posters
Return to Step 1

This has now happened around 180 times, and the process isn't far off its first anniversary. Jumping in at any stage now seems almost as irrational a thing to do as the original post.

MyNameIsTerry
02-12-16, 12:55
Step 1: OP posts a new thread about an irrational fear about normal bodily functions
Step 2: Someone posts reassurance
Step 3: OP refuses to accept reassurance (repeat Steps 2 and 3 as many times as is needed to instigate Step 4)
Step 4. Someone has a go at OP
Step 5. OP shrinks away from conversation while people argue about how to treat other posters
Return to Step 1

This has now happened around 180 times, and the process isn't far off its first anniversary. Jumping in at any stage now seems almost as irrational a thing to do as the original post.

And it happens to any poster with the same patterns, regardless of whether they interact with us or not. I can remember several others, I can also remember one or two on other boards who don't follow this same pattern as the board is more relevant to the issue so posters are less concerned about the irrationality levels.

At what point will it change? Not all steps are down to the people raising the threads. There is a question in this about how much your own anxiety is affected by these events and I feel like staying out of it more now as I don't see the point anymore on the HA board, something I know I share with others too. So, there are multiple viewpoints on all this, not all of them are raised but perhaps people getting wound up should look towards their own health now?

Gary A
02-12-16, 13:23
And it happens to any poster with the same patterns, regardless of whether they interact with us or not. I can remember several others, I can also remember one or two on other boards who don't follow this same pattern as the board is more relevant to the issue so posters are less concerned about the irrationality levels.

At what point will it change? Not all steps are down to the people raising the threads. There is a question in this about how much your own anxiety is affected by these events and I feel like staying out of it more now as I don't see the point anymore on the HA board, something I know I share with others too. So, there are multiple viewpoints on all this, not all of them are raised but perhaps people getting wound up should look towards their own health now?

I always start out thinking, for God only knows what reason, that the OP will take my advice this time.

But you're both right. Responding further is, and has been for quite some time, pointless. I can't be bothered with it anymore.

helenhoo
02-12-16, 14:17
Perhaps, just maybe the OP realises shes being silly and a as always is aware she is being irrational.

brucealmighty
02-12-16, 14:22
when are you heading back to south korea? i think once you really settle into the TEFL routine a lot of these things will stop crossing your mind, you`ll have your lesson plans etc to be working on which will hopefully make life easier all round.

helenhoo
02-12-16, 14:27
This Sunday Bruce.

ServerError
02-12-16, 14:34
Perhaps, just maybe the OP realises shes being silly and a as always is aware she is being irrational.

I wasn't going to reply but I made the mistake of opening the thread and couldn't just let this go. If you actually have the awareness that you're being irrational, why not stop yourself before you post and think about that? Many anxiety sufferers struggle to see the irrational nature of their thoughts because they are stuck in fears that seem all too real. You're in the right frame of mind to start tackling this nonsense. Will you do that? It's for your benefit, not ours. You clearly have a good life - don't you want to live it without all this silliness? You have to act, especially while you have clarity about your state of mind.

I'll probably end up wishing I never got involved. Just like always...

Gary A
02-12-16, 15:15

I was wondering the other day about how many gummy Bears it would take to choke a pigeon, but I didn't feel the need to open a thread here and ask about it. Why? Because it was just nonsense that was floating around my head.

If these thoughts are irrational, if you know you're being "silly", then why are you wasting peoples time even asking about it? You honestly have no idea how much you sound like a complete attention seeker right now.

brucealmighty
02-12-16, 15:42
32 actually gary (28-30 for a dove they`re a bit lighter), or 18 standard haribo. mind you I put a squirrel into a coma with just one sherbet dib dab so its not an exact science.
just off to the local park to see if I can tantalise a magpie into a state of mild euphoria with a caramac. Watch this space....

MyNameIsTerry
02-12-16, 15:43
I was wondering the other day about how many gummy Bears it would take to choke a pigeon, but I didn't feel the need to open a thread here and ask about it. Why? Because it was just nonsense that was floating around my head.

And there was no fear involved. So, no trigger to reassurance seeking or other outcomes to those of us without that compulsion.

Gary A
02-12-16, 16:12
And there was no fear involved. So, no trigger to reassurance seeking or other outcomes to those of us without that compulsion.

Fear? Fear of what? Normality?

The OP has said that she realises she's being silly, but still posts about it. I don't know, is it too much to ask her to fight a compulsion? Especially after all this time?

brucealmighty
02-12-16, 16:23
it's Friday and I sense an evening of the well meaning battling the headworkers coming up so I'll wave my white flag early and get back to trying 1970s confectionery on the local wildlife.

Gary A
02-12-16, 17:29
it's Friday and I sense an evening of the well meaning battling the headworkers coming up so I'll wave my white flag early and get back to trying 1970s confectionery on the local wildlife.

Not for me thankfully, I've got a night of beer and snooker to look forward to.:yesyes:

Josh1234
02-12-16, 19:44
If Terry knew anything about anxiety, he would know that reassurance is counterproductive. But alas, he doesn't. Just forum policing. Must have been picked on as a child.

pulisa
02-12-16, 20:01
No need for that comment, Josh.

Gary A
02-12-16, 20:02
I agree, no need at all.

MyNameIsTerry
02-12-16, 22:42
Fear? Fear of what? Normality?

The OP has said that she realises she's being silly, but still posts about it. I don't know, is it too much to ask her to fight a compulsion? Especially after all this time?

Sadly it can be the battle with intrusive thoughts. Some of the themes are not well known and the obsessive fear makes it a big issue. Once you change the response, which takes a load of work, you get back to the "meh" about your thoughts and you beat a theme like this.

It's all too common. Like ServerError said, some are too in deep with the anxiety so can't see they are silly. Those who can definitely have an advantage and I agree with you about taking steps to recovery.

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

If Terry knew anything about anxiety, he would know that reassurance is counterproductive. But alas, he doesn't. Just forum policing. Must have been picked on as a child.

You just keep reinforcing the image I have of you, Josh.

Thanks pulisa & Gary.