PDA

View Full Version : Could do with some moral support on Citalopram

Jamesn
02-12-16, 11:53
Hi - its been a couple of years since I posted. I thought I had beaten the anxiety and depression as I finally weaned of the citalopram this May - I felt fantastic all summer. Best ever.

However a few weeks ago I could feel things bubbling up, those chatterbox negative thoughts and decided to go back on citalopram 10mg.

Day 11 today and I wake up every morning with anxiety - don't sleep properly - seem to have one half decent day and one crap day. Also tearful (although this seems to relieve the tension I have in my back and legs - wish I could do it more often). A bit nauseous when I brush my teeth.

How much longer does it take to see some positives from citalopram. The first time I took it 4 years ago was 20mg and I had to take time off work. Now I'm on 10mg. I'm dragging myself in now because after a few hours I perk up, but how long before sleep returns to normal??

Would appreciate your insights.

Thanks

Mummytofour
02-12-16, 14:43
Hi James,

Sorry to hear that the anxiety has come back. Mine done the same. I had six months off citalopram and was fine and theni it all came back beginning of oct. Now back on it again too. I was on 10mg for a week then on 20mg which I have been on now for around 6/7 weeks I think. For me the worst was over in two weeks and then started to see improvement around week 3/4 of 20mg. I have been a lot better the last few weeks and side effects are pretty much gone now.

Trouble is it's different for everyone as to when they will get the benefits although you have gotten through the worst part now so keep going and you should feel some relief soon. It's horrible isn't it managing to taper off and have some time med free only to be going back on it again.

Maxine

Jamesn
26-12-16, 12:26
Thanks mummy to four,

Only just realised I had a reply so sorry for it registering it slower :-)

Well I've just finished week 3 of 10mg (after 2 weeks on 5mg) but still feeling crap in a morning first off and then just doubtful of myself. I'm doing basic stuff but the last couple of days have been a bit low. Still got a week left before I start back at work but obviously I'm feeling negative about that at the moment. Don't want to let my work colleagues down so I'm putting pressure on myself.

I know I'll get better eventually but on up days I'm telling everyone I'm ok and saying I'll be back at work and arranging stuff with friends and then on down days I'm cancelling them all. Rubbish really..

Natalie

MrK
26-12-16, 16:24
Hi - its been a couple of years since I posted. I thought I had beaten the anxiety and depression as I finally weaned of the citalopram this May - I felt fantastic all summer. Best ever.

However a few weeks ago I could feel things bubbling up, those chatterbox negative thoughts and decided to go back on citalopram 10mg.

Day 11 today and I wake up every morning with anxiety - don't sleep properly - seem to have one half decent day and one crap day. Also tearful (although this seems to relieve the tension I have in my back and legs - wish I could do it more often). A bit nauseous when I brush my teeth.

How much longer does it take to see some positives from citalopram. The first time I took it 4 years ago was 20mg and I had to take time off work. Now I'm on 10mg. I'm dragging myself in now because after a few hours I perk up, but how long before sleep returns to normal??

Would appreciate your insights.

Thanks

Hello Natalie,

My story is so similar to yours. I was on Citalopram 20mg for approx. four years and I thought that I had beaten the anxiety around the start of this year and had weaned myself of it.

But it all came back in October this year and I started on 10mg citalopram for 2 weeks and then increased it to 20mg. I have been on 20mg for almost 2.5 months now and every day is a different story, some days are good and some days are full of racy thoughts. I think it is working though so plan to hang in there.

Regards
MrK

brucealmighty
26-12-16, 16:38
sorry to hear you`re having a tough time, I remember it taking a good 4 weeks or so before I felt settled when I was on it, and 20mg is the lowest therapeutic dose so it might need that dose before you feel steady again?
Try to ride it out by putting other measures in place like regular sleep, not too much caffeine or alcohol etc all the basic stuff and it should level out soon

Jamesn
08-01-17, 18:38
Thanks guys,

Went back to the docs last Friday as that was 6 weeks in. I could only manage 3 days at work and then fled back to my mums all tearful and fed up.

Doctor said my dose was probably too low and she also change my meds to sertraline 50mg. On my 3rd day today and no additional side effects. Seem to be a bit calmer.

Going to try work again tomorrow to see what happens. May be 4 days this time. :). Such a hassle this illness. Never coming off the tablets again!!

Take care everyone xx

Annifrid
09-01-17, 10:42
Hello Natalie,

My story is so similar to yours. I was on Citalopram 20mg for approx. four years and I thought that I had beaten the anxiety around the start of this year and had weaned myself of it.

But it all came back in October this year and I started on 10mg citalopram for 2 weeks and then increased it to 20mg. I have been on 20mg for almost 2.5 months now and every day is a different story, some days are good and some days are full of racy thoughts. I think it is working though so plan to hang in there.

Regards
MrK

I am experiencing exactly the same as you. Been on them for 4 years. Weaned off and starting to feel shit again after 1,5 years later. Now been back on them since october and now 12 weeks on 20 mg.
I feel such a loser being on them again.
See my other reply I wrote today, in the cit forum.
Good luck everyone and take care of yourselves.:hugs: