PDA

View Full Version : Scared of getting depression

tricia56
02-12-16, 14:08
Hi sorry for posting so much lately but I'm really struggling at the moment but I'm scared I'm getting depression because the past mnth or so because of the way I've been feeling.I don't feel I want to be here anymore or anything like that. it just seems I dont have the motervation to do anything or have any pleasure in doing things anymore I just feel so wrapped up in how I'm feeling and just want sit in my room all the time because I'm too scared to do anything because I feel so anxiouse all the time I even struggle bieng around love ones I do cry sometimes but I think I cry because I'm tired of feeling this way with the anxiety all the time, and now I'm worring I've got or geting depresision and its scaring the life out of me because I don't want to get it.can anxiety make you feel this way or does it sound like depression as I've tried looking up the diffrence between anxiety/depression but they both have a lot of of the same symtoms. Would I know if I'm depressed or not would really like some advice of anyone if they can thk you

MyNameIsTerry
02-12-16, 14:17
Hi Tricia,

Yes, it's very common to have symptoms of depression with anxiety disorders, and actually many mental disorders. Depressive symptoms are something I see as being a standard thing to experience with anxiety disorders, especially the tougher they are for us. How can someone remain happy all through this?

I've been through my low times with all this over the years. Weeks of it at times. The demotivation and up & down moods can last longer and fatigue has been plaguing me for about 2 years now.

As far as diagnosis goes, there are even mixed anxiety & depression disorders for people who don't experience one more strikingly than the other. So, the doctors fully acknowledge it.

I don't see depression as any harder than anxiety. It does have more emphasis in society and that is more because of those who have taken their lives, which obviously is less of the case with anxiety since we tend to be more afraid of dying. It doesn't mean the pain experienced is worse necessarily, only in some people.

Think about how is it possible to remain happy, positive & motivated whilst spending every day terrified of everything around you. You are one of the people on here who knows that feeling all too well, so it's bound to get you down.

Also, the body can only take so much adrenaline before it needs to rebalance itself and we feel washed out for a time.

And don't worry about posting if you need help. You don't post much at all compared to many people on here anyway.

KeeKee
02-12-16, 14:31
I have both depression and anxiety and whilst I've been told they're interlinked and they both can lead to lack of motivation, an urge to avoid other people etc, I'd say there's a distinct difference between the two. I can't explain it but I know when I'm feeling anxious or depressed, the feeling is just different.

Anxiety can lead to depression and depression can lead to anxiety (I had depression a few years prior to developing anxiety).

The best thing to do is seek help before it gets too much to deal with.

tricia56
02-12-16, 15:11
Thk you terry you have always been kind to me and give me advice. I think I I'm scared of depression because I always think that depression means it can make you take your life and that scares the life out of me.

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:04 ----------

Thk u keekee I haven't had depression before so I don't really know wat it feels like . Would I be able to tell ?

KeeKee
02-12-16, 15:23
In my opinion yes, but I guess we're all different.

For me anxiety is mostly physical. Whereas depression is more 'in my head' so to speak and it feels somewhat creepy, like watching a horror movie or a disturbing scene on TV. I can't explain it but it's just a hideous feeling.

I would describe myself as being very depressed and have been for around 18 months. I'm really struggling with my daughter, I can't hoover or dust etc. it's horrid, but not once have I ever had a suicidal thought, not for a split second. I don't know anybody who has thought about suicide (personally) yet I know lots of people who say they are or have been depressed. So try not to worry about that aspect of it. Just try to focus on getting the help you need. Your GP will probably be able to give you a proper diagnosis although it may come under anxiety and depression rather than one or the other.

MyNameIsTerry
02-12-16, 15:52
I disagree slightly, KeeKee, intrusive thoughts are in the head but both fall under OCD and depression as there is a specific differential for a doctor to look out for when diagnosing.

I also think physical symptoms are very common with depression too. Endless fatigue, lethargy, lack of motivation, crying, no interest in anything including physical pleasures, etc. You can get a lot of them with anxiety too though.

But I get what you are saying and I think you are right in some ways too. My anxiety is more physical, although there is a fair bit of obsessiveness from the OCD in there overlapping with my physical GAD issues that complicate things. I guess it can be very complicated as we all differ so much yet have many common overlaps?

I also agree you can tell the difference. You can be depressed without having depression, just as many of us suffer it, and there are many types of depression which people often don't realise which are defined by different patterns, but the feeling is different. At the most basic, feeling very low about everything is an obvious one to look for.

Tricia - I understand how it worries you because you have mentioned a family member with these problems I seem to recall. I would say that it's a matter of thinking of the suicide cases are the extremes. Depression is very common yet how many people do you hear about who have harmed themselves? So, just like how a HA sufferer looks at a cancer and misses how so few people may die from it, the same can be said here.

I think your anxiety, which is daily and strong, will change dramatically in how you see it reduces if depression set in. But you will see & feel it, as will others around you, in most cases so it's a prompt to see your GP and let them decide.

My dad had depression over 40 years ago. He had it a solid 2 years and would be in bed for weeks at a time. He recovered and it's NEVER come back.

Concentrate on what you have to go on for. Your family. Even though everything else is so hard everyday, as a mother you would never harm them, it would be the last thing you would do. You are caring person, that side of you is stronger.