PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm having a nervous breakdown

sammie13s
02-12-16, 22:01
Really struggling at the minute. Even had some stupid thoughts today. Constant fear and panic running through my body. Severely agitated by noise and everything just freaking me out. Uncontrollable shaking to. Just feel like I'm having some kind of breakdown. I have ptsd. I take mitazipine 30mg and started sertraline 50mg around 2-3 weeks ago and I'm just not getting better. Iv had this for 9 years and used to have good days but now it's just bad day after bad day. My mind is constantly racing too. Suppose I'm just reaching out for support because to be totally honest I'm absolutely terrified. Just don't no what to do anymore. I fight and fight each day but I'm tired. If it wasn't for my kids I wouldn't be here. I'm losing it big time. Feel like I'm going to snap and it scares me. This surge of panic constantly rushing through my body is terrifying. Am I having a nervous breakdown?

nomorepanic
02-12-16, 22:21
People that have a nervous breakdown aren't really aware they are having one.

It sounds like extreme anxiety coupled with some depression but I cannot diagnose that - it was just an opinion.

Have you told your doctor all of this?

sammie13s
02-12-16, 22:31
My doctor is useless. I'm so hyper aware and agitated. This fear and rage surging through my body and uncontrollable shaking. I'm a nervous wreck. Think I'm going to have to up my meds but I'm scared but I'll do anything for this to go. Constantly crying aswel. Why me? I take my meds. I do the cbt and nothing is helping. I can't continue like this. This is not life. This is day in day out torture. X

Gotagetthroughthis
02-12-16, 22:56
People that have a nervous breakdown aren't really aware they are having one.

It sounds like extreme anxiety coupled with some depression but I cannot diagnose that - it was just an opinion.

Have you told your doctor all of this?

Where did you get the idea people who are having a mental breakdown are unaware they are having one as I would have to disagree. Many people who have nervous breakdowns will be well aware of what is happening to them.

Anyhow, it is all nervous illness and to be treated in a similar way.

.Poppy.
02-12-16, 22:58
Could it be a reaction to starting the new medication?

sammie13s
02-12-16, 22:59
Where did you get the idea people who are having a mental breakdown are unaware they are having one as I would have to disagree. Many people who have nervous breakdowns will be well aware of what is happening to them.

Anyhow, it is all nervous illness and to be treated in a similar way.

So am I having a nervous break down? X

---------- Post added at 22:59 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

Iv been on sertraline before and I don't think after 3 weeks this would happen x

ServerError
02-12-16, 23:01
I definitely had a terrible time when first starting sertraline. It was horrible. Got better, though.

50mg is a low dose. Might be worth going up to 100mg.

nomorepanic
02-12-16, 23:02
It was just based on personal experience.

I know two people that have had one and whilst they knew something was wrong they didn't know how bad it was and when they had the breakdown it was quite dramatic. For example, one was at the airport about to board a plane for a holiday and just freaked out and refused to get on the plane but couldn't explain why. She didn't remember anything about it though once she had recovered.

Family saw something was wrong but didn't realise how bad it was.

Gotagetthroughthis
02-12-16, 23:05
My doctor is useless. I'm so hyper aware and agitated. This fear and rage surging through my body and uncontrollable shaking. I'm a nervous wreck. Think I'm going to have to up my meds but I'm scared but I'll do anything for this to go. Constantly crying aswel. Why me? I take my meds. I do the cbt and nothing is helping. I can't continue like this. This is not life. This is day in day out torture. X

Really sorry to hear you are going through such a bad time Sammie. It can be so hard to see hope when you are in your current state of severe fear and anxiety but what I can say is, this WILL PASS. How you feel right now cannot continue forever. It's hard to give specific advice as I don't know your exact situation but first of all you haven't been on the medication very long so it may take another week or 2 to settle down or it may just not be the right one for you, so if it doesn't settle down soon you have the option to change it or come off it gradually, that's a start. Also when anxiety is at it's worst you have to try and accept the feelings and let them melt through you, let them pass through you, rather than trying to run away from them or shove them down as what you resist often persits. It feels unbearable but if you learn to stop fighting the feelings they will gradually pass.

Eat well, good nutritious food, try and get as much rest as you can (I know this is hard when anxious), when you feel strong enough do some light exercise and stretching every other day or so. Be kind to yourself and accept where you are right now and have the belief that you will get better, as trust me these horrible feeling you have right now, will pass and they will go away over time.

You will be ok :)

swajj
02-12-16, 23:27
I remember asking my psychiatrist "am I having a nervous breakdown" and he said "you already had it". So I definitely wasn't aware. I didn't know what qualified as a nervous breakdown.

Sammie when you say you are doing the CBT are you doing and seeing a counsellor or are you just using a self-help method?

Gotagetthroughthis
02-12-16, 23:36
I remember asking my psychiatrist "am I having a nervous breakdown" and he said "you already had it". So I definitely wasn't aware. I didn't know what qualified as a nervous breakdown.

Sammie when you say you are doing the CBT are you doing and seeing a counsellor or are you just using a self-help method?

That's why you weren't aware then, as you didn't know what qualified as a nervous breakdown. Who knows what qualifies as one really. In general I just mean when most people are feeling extremely anxious or depressed they know they are feeling anxious and depressed and if people have read about nervous breakdowns they would have some idea what is happening to them. Anyway it doesn't really matter as long as people just get the help they need.

swajj
02-12-16, 23:45
Well you just said it yourself "who knows what qualifies as one". I agree it doesn't really matter as long as people get the help they did. However you were the one who questioned it.

nomorepanic
02-12-16, 23:51
I was just telling my experience so I am pleased to see I was sort of right - thanks swajj

MyNameIsTerry
02-12-16, 23:51
Well you just said it yourself "who knows what qualifies as one". I agree it doesn't really matter as long as people get the help they did. However you were the one who questioned it.

Same here, back then I knew nothing about anxiety anyway so the chances of me knowing what it was were limited.

Isn't it an old term anyway? Maybe it doesn't matter as much to them anymore?

Gotagetthroughthis
02-12-16, 23:59
Ok fair enough if people haven't experienced these sorts of things before they may not know what is going on with them. Where as if they have experienced it before they for sure will know they are in severe anxiety or depression IMO. A nervous breakdown is just a vague term for severe nervous illness which you will recognise of you have experienced it before.

Can we call it a draw? lol

swajj
03-12-16, 00:06
No it doesn't Terry. I don't think it even appears in the mental health "bible" the DSMV5.

---------- Post added at 09:36 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

Yes we can but I could challenge half of what you just wrote if I felt like it. I don't so "draw" :shades:

Gotagetthroughthis
03-12-16, 00:08
So am I having a nervous break down? X

---------- Post added at 22:59 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

Iv been on sertraline before and I don't think after 3 weeks this would happen x

Well as someone else said I think the term nervous breakdown is a bit of an old term now and I would say it just means a really bad period of anxiety and or depression that has a big impact on your life. So to label it a nervous breakdown is not important. You are having a really bad time with anxiety we know that much. We also know that with the right methods and with time you will recover from a nervous breakdown/anxiety, whatever you want to call it.

Discuss it with your doctor but I would give the sertraline one more week and hopefully things will have settled down by them. If not you could talk to your doctor about changing the dose or changing medication. You have lots of options and together with our support here and your doctor we will find something that helps in the end.

sammie13s
03-12-16, 00:16
Thankyou everyone. It's this nervousness. It's frightening x

MyNameIsTerry
03-12-16, 00:32
No it doesn't Terry. I don't think it even appears in the mental health "bible" the DSMV5.

---------- Post added at 09:36 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

Yes we can but I could challenge half of what you just wrote if I felt like it. I don't so "draw" :shades:

I doubt it will be in the WHO one either. I expect it is just whichever anxiety form it takes and a severity level is decided. There are specific disorders to cover trauma but that won't be relevant here anyway, especially with PTSD already being in play since the trauma ones tend to be short term and get replaced by a new diagnosis in an appropriate anxiety category (if I recall correctly) whereas PTSD is quite specific and continues long term.

swajj
03-12-16, 00:32
Sammie you didn't answe my question so I'll ask it again : do you see a counsellor?

MyNameIsTerry
03-12-16, 00:34
Ok fair enough if people haven't experienced these sorts of things before they may not know what is going on with them. Where as if they have experienced it before they for sure will know they are in severe anxiety or depression IMO. A nervous breakdown is just a vague term for severe nervous illness which you will recognise of you have experienced it before.

Can we call it a draw? lol

I would agree it is certainly possible. I knew when my relapse was coming, it was strong & consistent with months spiralling downwards.

sammie13s
03-12-16, 11:04
I was doing cbt step 3 but they have decided to up me a step and I have to wait for a space. Woke this morning feeling the same. Hearts constantly racing and still feeling like my nerves are shot. Can feel it surging through my body. I'm very scared. Iv even took an extra 25mg of sertraline so 75mg Iv took. Trying to think positive but still think I'm having a breakdown. Just not coping at all. X