PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone recognise this symptom as asthma or anxiety?

Massive worrier
02-12-16, 23:45
Hi, Just in the past week i have the feeling that my neck and possibly the very top of my chest is being squashed. I'm not wheezing at all. I had asthma when i was a child, but i used to get it mostly after exercise. I can't remember if this feeling comes with it. I am waiting to see the asthma nurse as my peak flow was a little bit under. Until then, does anyone recognise this feeling. I can't work out if it's anxiety or whether the asthma has returned.

Many thanks in advance

Cher73
03-12-16, 00:03
Hi I have had asthma since I was a kid
Sometimes when it flares up yes I do wheez other times it's like I have a weight on my chest and find it hard to breath. I have learned over the years what triggers my asthma attacks weather it's working out the weather or something floating in the air

Massive worrier
03-12-16, 00:12
Thank you, it does feel like a weight on my chest! I can get enough air it just feels like more effort is going into breathing! It seems to have come out of nowhere, i can't think of anything that's changed! It must be 12 years since i last used an inhaler!

brucealmighty
03-12-16, 00:20
hello there
I`m not asthmatic but I know when I`m anxious I certainly get short of breath so it must be worse if you`ve already got a respiratory condition.
Forgive me if this is very very basic advice but try diaphragmatic breathing first where you lie down and breathe so that your belly moves up and down, not your chest, this will let you know in about 30 seconds or so if its anxiety or maybe a return of your condition.

hope you are ok soon, I really get uneasy when I can`t catch my breath so although mine is only anxiety I know what you are going through and wish you well.

Sparkling_Fairy
03-12-16, 16:56
It could also be GERD. I have that feeling sometimes where the top of my wind pipe is being squeezed. Yet I have no trouble breathing. If I burp a few times, usually it goes away and then it comes back. So could perfectly well be gas that's stuck in your throat.

Massive worrier
03-12-16, 19:45
hello there
I`m not asthmatic but I know when I`m anxious I certainly get short of breath so it must be worse if you`ve already got a respiratory condition.
Forgive me if this is very very basic advice but try diaphragmatic breathing first where you lie down and breathe so that your belly moves up and down, not your chest, this will let you know in about 30 seconds or so if its anxiety or maybe a return of your condition.

hope you are ok soon, I really get uneasy when I can`t catch my breath so although mine is only anxiety I know what you are going through and wish you well.

Thanks for this advice! I gave it a try and had no problems. Also noticed that when i'm busy i don't think of it at all. Starting to sound like anxiety. I remember being very scared when i was younger when i had asthma attacks, it really is a horrible feeling. I often find that when there isnt much to worry about something like this crops up, just to remind me to worry about something! :doh:

Fishmanpa
03-12-16, 19:48
Also noticed that when i'm busy i don't think of it at all.

BINGO! Sure sign it's anxiety related.

Positive thoughts

Massive worrier
03-12-16, 22:57
Thanks everyone :)