PDA

View Full Version : My dog scratched me now worried tetanus or blood poisoning :(

Lockey1995
03-12-16, 22:15
Hey,

So I've been able to keep my anxiety under control a bit better haven't been on here as much. I was playing with my 10 year old dog with a tennis ball and while. Trying to get it off me the bugger scratched my hand and arms 6 times in different places. So yeah back to worrying scared about tetanus or blood poisoning :(. Or something I've washed them and put some sudocrem on but still now in a complete panic what if something got in there if his paws and it's too late :(

ServerError
03-12-16, 22:48
That's not how you get tetanus or blood poisoning.

Lockey1995
03-12-16, 22:51
I thought it could tetanus can come from soil I was worried as he's been in th garden could of got dirt in his paws

ServerError
03-12-16, 22:53
The odds of that are about the same as me being the first space tourist on the moon.

Massive worrier
03-12-16, 22:55
You could phone 111. They will be able to tell you quickly if its something to worry about. Usually it's bites that need treatment.

ServerError
03-12-16, 22:59
You could phone 111. They will be able to tell you quickly if its something to worry about. Usually it's bites that need treatment.

Don't do this. Why give your irrational fear more credit than it deserves? You got scratched by a dog, just like thousands of other people around the world today. Recognise that it's your anxiety that's the problem here.

All 111 will tell you is that as long as you washed it, you have nothing to worry about.

Catherine S
04-12-16, 01:02
Actually, and not intending to worry the OP, but you can get a nasty infection from cat and dog scratches, it doesn't have to be a bite. So I agree that whilst uncommon for it to lead to anything serious, it's always best to make sure your tetanus injections are up to date if you have pets...they advise that for keen gardeners too don't they. In the meantime make sure the scratches are clean and as has been suggested, smear some antiseptic cream on them. By all means ask your GP surgery about it if you remain worried about it, but as ServerError said I wouldn't call the emergency number. My cat Maggie was always scratching my hands and arms when playing when she was younger and the scratches used to swell up and they stung like hell and I always put lots of anti bacterial cream on.

ISB

Lockey1995
04-12-16, 01:30
Well that's scared me , had a tdap at 15 I'm 21 now also had pretty much all vacs before that.

Catherine S
04-12-16, 01:47
Why has it scared you? Any wound, scratch, cut, bite or anything that breaks the skin can develop infection. That's CAN and not WILL. Most adults are aware of that fact, even anxious ones, you included or you wouldn't have asked about it. I also mentioned all the times I had lots of cat scratches that drew blood, but I survived without blood poisoning. You're not a child to be placated, you're an adult who knows about this already so i'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Once again if it's worrying you ask your GP...or...if you must, call 111.

I'm not being unsympathetic towards you don't get me wrong, but not sure what answer you're looking for. So what condition are the scratches in now?

ISB x

Fishmanpa
04-12-16, 02:32
At least you're not talking about your poo ;)

You'll be fine... I get scratched up by my cat when we play. Nothings ever come of it.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
04-12-16, 06:35
It's like Cath says, any wound can mean infection. But we have treatments now and so infections are usually nothing to worry about even if you get them.

My dog has playfully nipped me a fair few times and no infection in any way.

My dad was a landscape gardener for over 40 years, he's retired now but still does some gardening to bring some cash in. He never bothered with tetanus injections and no one at his firm did either. He was covered in cuts most of the time up his arms. He had a booster when he needed A&E for more serious injuries so doctors tend to check that out for you anyway to be careful.

Lockey1995
04-12-16, 21:12
Yeah I guess calmed down a bit I was mainly scared of tetanus

Aleman200
04-12-16, 21:34
Hey man, don't worry about it. I freaked out for weeks because a bat flew into me and i thought i had rabies/tetanus. I went to A&E and pestered my GP For a vaccine list. Which it turns out, i am covered from all that kind of stuff. So i know how it can be. But i wouldn't worry, if you've had your vaccinations you're gonna be immune to Tetanus mate.

axolotl
04-12-16, 22:35
At least you're not talking about your poo ;)

You'll be fine... I get scratched up by my cat when we play. Nothings ever come of it.

Positive thoughts

Yeah, I think cat owners are a bit less shocked by animal scratches as dog owners, as we basically become their meaty scratching posts.

As others have said keep wounds clean as any other, and if you're very unlucky and do get infected it's nothing to worry about.