PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram and alcohol

Becky2785
04-12-16, 05:23
As Christmas is fast approaching I would really like to enjoy a drink i haven't touched a drop since March due to anxiety and I'm scared of drinking on cit I'm also on propananol anyone give me some advice as to whether I'll be ok don't want to get hammered just enjoy a tipple every now and again
Thankyou becky xxx

Bike Rider
04-12-16, 08:36
Hi Becky, I have been on 40mg Cit and Prop together, I have a drink most evenings to wind me down and I feel ok.

I stopped for a while but found my anxiety was just as bad, so started again, does stopping work for you.

MyNameIsTerry
04-12-16, 09:31
There is a Moderate level interaction warning between Cit + alcohol and Prop + alcohol. To get some perspective though, there is a Moderate interaction warning between Cit + Prop too.

These Moderate warnings can just mean to look out for certain symptoms coming from combining and talking to your GP about them. In the case of Prop + alcohol, it can further lower your blood pressure but makes the point that this is most likely when starting the Prop, changing the dosage or after a break in treatment. With the Cit, it can just mean some side effects like dizziness, drowsiness, etc.

I drank on Cit years ago after asking my GP who said moderate drinking would be fine for me. By "for me", I mean I was at a much better recovery position by the time I asked and I was going on holiday, something I couldn't even attempt earlier on. So, my GP obviously realised I was stronger so would be less sensitised and I think this is one of the things to consider because when you are really bad with anxiety, anything changing how your body feels can start you off.

So, if you feel better in yourself and stronger, I would think it's less of an issue. However, some anxiety sufferers just can't tolerate alcohol once their anxiety starts so it's a very individual thing.

You could always ask your GP or pharmacist for an official answer though.

Andy1718
04-12-16, 10:12
Glass of red every night. No problem with reaction. Just drink in moderation.

Becky2785
04-12-16, 17:21
Thanks everyone I don't no why it bothers me about drinking just makes me feel anxious but I'll have a few see how I feel xx

pollynewsome
04-12-16, 18:02
I've just recently started to have a drink in moderation. It's been really nice. I too stopped drinking completley Nov last year and had my first drink Sept this year. X