PDA

View Full Version : split second derealisation/depersonalisation

sarahe2905
07-04-07, 18:37
Ok i was just wandering if anybody else gets this.

Its like for a split second my brain switches off and i struggle to understand whats happening around me. But it literally happens for only a second. Of course following this i then feel a wave of anxiety as its not a nice experience.

Iv experienced derealisation/depersonalisation before whilst having a real bad patch with my anxiety and its lasted alot longer. But recently its happening for only a split second and i dont seem to be anxious at the time which is more annoying.

Can any1 relate??

Sarah x

angiebaby
07-04-07, 21:33
Hi there, i understand totally what you are going through, been having it on and off all day today too. I started suffering with DP/DR/unreality etc, etc, a couple of years ago when i started with anxiety and i was put on Seroxat, that is what did this to me. Lately it has stopped being all day and every day and now it is fleeting instead, a bit like the feelings of doom that float over you on and off all day. It is horrible but i just keep thinking that i'd prefer that than to go back to having it all day, all night and every day and night. It has got to be better than that, right?x

Ellen70
07-04-07, 22:44
Hi Sarah,
I have this fairly often, usually when I am away from home.

I can be relatively calm and not worrying about anything in particular and then I get this 'blip' (as I call it) of derealization and it totally throws me. It comes on suddenly and without expectation and it can turn a relatively good time into disarray.

When I am out I often notice that I get it when I am in shops with that overbright artificial lighting, but then shops with that kind of lighting have always made me uneasy and caused me derealization.

When it happens I usually just try and focus my interest on something else straight away and it is usually quickly forgotten.

If you feel at all able to allow this moment of derealization just 'take place' and not react to it then it passes much quicker. I can do this on a 'good' day but not on an anxious day.

Sorry I don't have any concrete remedies or advice for you but do realise that you are far from alone with this problem.

Take care

Eibhlin

sarahe2905
09-04-07, 11:51
Thanks guys.

Yeah it totally throws me if it happens and i think, this just cant be right!

What i have also noticed is that my pupils become particularly large when i have these sudden feelings, which also adds to my anxiety.

I also have had them in really bright shops! Brightly lit shops make me also feel very anxious as i often get those DP/DR sensations.