PDA

View Full Version : Please help me make a decision

ana
06-12-16, 12:43
I'm making this post hoping to get peoples' thoughts on the matter which has been causing me a lot of worry and stress recently.
I work as a high school teacher, and in January each year, there's a prom dance that teachers, although not required to, are asked to attend so as to chaperone the students. The headmaster of the school I work in has, on a number of occasions, pointed out how I don't participate in the school's social activities, and has asked me to be more involved in the out-of-class activities. Because of this, I'm scared to blow the prom off. However, I absolutely, with all my heart, just don't want to go! Not only is the hotel the prom will be taking place in on the outskirts of the town I live in (I'm agoraphobic, and I have a limited radius of movement), but it lasts all night, and that's not something that I'm interested in taking part in seeing as I tend to get overstimulated in environments that are loud and lively and crowded.

On top of all this, my relationship with my parents, most notably, mum (who I live with) is very strange; controlling, manipulative and smothering. This last month has just been hell as my mum is unhappy (to say the least) that I'm in a relationship because she feels that my boyfriend will 'take me away from her' and she'll have no control over me once that happens. It just so happens that I'll be staying with my boyfriend on the week of the prom, and I know it sounds silly, but I have no way of explaining to my parents why I don't want to attend the prom. They are of the opinion that I must do it, that it's healthy for me (which is true, but it's a little more complicated than that), and that I risk getting on the headmaster's bad side if I don't attend (which I fear, too).

What do I do? :wacko:

Annie0904
06-12-16, 13:01
I worked in a high school and didn't always go to the proms and a lot of staff didn't either.
Explain to your head teacher that although you feel comfortable in the school environment, you suffer from anxiety and feel uncomfortable in surroundings you are not familiar with.

Don't let other people control your life, that is a big mistake I made and I am now learning to be more assertive and stand up for myself. Not easy when it is your parents as you don't want to upset them but they have to learn that you are a woman now and not a little girl and you are able to make your own decisions.

ana
06-12-16, 13:23
I forgot to add that, where I live, the teacher unions don't really do anything, and the headmaster's got all the power. Basically, if you keep him happy, you keep your job.

Annie0904
06-12-16, 13:35
I forgot to add that, where I live, the teacher unions don't really do anything, and the headmaster's got all the power. Basically, if you keep him happy, you keep your job.

But if you explain to him why you find it difficult to go? Hopefully he might be understanding.

mark84
06-12-16, 16:28
But if you explain to him why you find it difficult to go? Hopefully he might be understanding.

I think that's a big gamble- here he couldn't do anything or he'd be up for unfair dismissal at an industrial tribunal but not everywhere has such laws. If she was in Britain I'd agree with all that you said though!

SLA
06-12-16, 16:44
Attend the prom. Chaperone the kids. Stay for 30 minutes. Make an excuse. Leave.

That way you fulfill your obligation, and you don't have to stay. And you make progress.

ana
06-12-16, 21:41
SLA, I can't leave after just 30 minutes. All teachers are required to stay until midnight, or longer. I appreciate everyone's replies. :)