PDA

View Full Version : Hearing things on waking - Hello

Louanne
06-12-16, 19:39
Hi all,

I'm generally an anxious person but lately my anxious thoughts have gotten silly. It started when I came across an Instagram post of somebody's friends sister who died and this caused me to worry about my life. Something as silly as that! :shrug::huh:

Before this I was worried about a Hypnogogic Hallucination (hearing things before sleep/waking up) - it was a train horn in the distance. I was just rousing awake and I head it. I am pretty confident this isn't a classic 'hallucination' as it was while I was waking up. I have read many threads on here with same worries.

Anyway, I have come to say hello and natter on to internet strangers.

KeeKee
06-12-16, 19:51
Years ago one morning I heard my Mam shout my name in the morning for school, only to realise a few minutes later she'd been out the house a while for work. Normal.

SLA
06-12-16, 19:52
So what aspect of hypnogogic hallucinations has you worried?

It started when I came across an Instagram post of somebody's friends sister who died and this caused me to worry about my life. Something as silly as that!

Not really silly. Perfectly normal... don't we all feel a little something when someone dies, however remotely linked to us they might be?

Anyway, I have come to say hello and natter on to internet strangers.

Hello! Great to see you. :hugs:

Louanne
06-12-16, 20:02
I don't actually know, just that feeling of unease I guess. When you write something out or say it out loud you often realise how silly the worry is. Things have been going well recently so my subconscious is on the look out for something wrong I guess.

Yes, I have had them before just wanted to be sure it was actually HH. The sound is in your mind but sounds real right?

Sparkling_Fairy
06-12-16, 21:25
I had that a lot when my anxiety was at it's highest. I would wake up to the sound of like a firetruck siren. I would hear it between sleeping and waking. But once I was fully awake it was gone.
It stopped happening when my anxiety went down.

MyNameIsTerry
06-12-16, 23:02
Does something worry you about having hallucinations? Fear of mental illness?

Hypnagogia & Hypnopompia are natural and you've managed to find the reason already by categorisation as one of these, Hypnopompia being the one as it's when waking but Hypnagogia is often used as the umbrella term for both.

Louanne
06-12-16, 23:17
I don't, no. I had been watching a show on MPD before bed but doubt that caused it :roflmao: