PDA

View Full Version : Swollen Gland. So cancer right? -.-

So
06-12-16, 20:22
Still have a swollen gland Infront of my earlobe about the size of a pea. Doesn't hurt and I feel fine but does anyone know how common this is? Obv scared its a cancerous tumour! (I did have a none cancerous tumour 3 years ago in same place but behind my ear).

Fishmanpa
06-12-16, 20:28
Swollen Gland. So cancer right? -.-

Nope... It's not cancer until they say it's cancer. You know glands can swell for a variety of reasons, most of which are benign. If it doesn't resolve in a couple of weeks, see your doctor and in the meantime, don't poke and prod it!

Positive thoughts

So
06-12-16, 20:36
Haha thanks for the reassurance. I know I'm so bad for prodding it! I'll try my best to stop telling myself I'm dying and try carry on living my life! Thanks so much for the reply

Imrightbehindu
08-12-16, 06:08
I had one there slightly swollen, and I have two on the side of my neck that are now. One that has been below my chin for 4-5 years now.

Most causes for swollen lymph nodes are not cancer. It is much more likely to be an infection or reaction to local trauma. If it persists, get it checked (still probably not cancer, but maybe mono or an ear infection or something of the sort).

For mine on my neck, they have me on amoxicillin. I have promised myself to not feel my neck until a week after the treatment is done.

I brought up lymphoma concerns to SEVERAL of the doctors and not a single one of the seemed concerned too much. So, if it persists they will test to try to see what is causing it, they will look for infections via blood tests.

For instance, they tested me with a CBC and a test for Mono. The mono antibody test came back as the highest number in the "normal" range, so if they are still up after the antibiotics I will request a retest.

It is likely, depending on how long you have had it and on other symptoms, it may just go away on its own. Or like the one below my chin, just stay there and cause no trouble.

So, like Fishmanpa said, (I've seen him (I recognise the quote at the bottom of his posts) post on other threads on lymph node concerns at least and I can say he gives some good advice and has (correct me if I'm wrong), dealt with cancer before and knows what he is talking about), I wouldn't panic, don't ignore it indefinitely, but don't panic. You feeling it will just irritate it, and no matter what it is, you constantly worrying what it is isn't going to change it. If you get to the point where you feel you need to see a doctor, see them, trust their professional opinion, and let THEM worry about it. That's how I'm dealing with it at least.