PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop obsessing over this bloody mole??

Mrschurchill
06-12-16, 21:14
So I've got a mole on my back. It's been there a while, not quite sure how long but long enough that it's not just appeared a month ago!
Anyway, I've had phototherapy light treatment for psoriasis twice in my life so have large number of moles all over my body.
I track my moles using the skin Vision app and this hasn't changed in the 6 weeks I've tracked it. The issue I (think) I have is that I'm really aware of it? In the way that I think that it's itchy and sore (but I don't know if it's just my constant worry about it that is causing it?) :shrug:
The doctor has said it looks nice and normal and my other half checks it for me and constantly says it looks fine.
Anyone else make their moles hurt or itch? It actually sounds ridiculous me saying this but I'm just curious really?!

ShaunRyder
06-12-16, 22:48
Hello, I know the feeling of worrying about moles, this use to be my main worry!

But if the doctor has said it is fine you should believe him and try not to worry. After looking at the picture it looks perfectly healthy, how often do you or your partner check it? You should try and cut down on how many times you check it everyday until you get to a point when you are checking only once a day and then to the point you do not even think about it.

Also yes, if you keep checking a mole with your fingers you can make them hurt and sometimes even bleed, but by looking at the picture I see nothing at all too worry about and it is just your HA.

Fishmanpa
06-12-16, 23:08
One of the ways is to delete the app. Having and using the app keeps you focused on your skin/moles etc. It's no different than someone using a BP monitor when it's not necessary or ordered by your doctor.

Positive thoughts

Mrschurchill
07-12-16, 21:33
Is it possible to 'make' it itch or be sore? I think about it a lot and think I am thinking about it so much that it's actually causing a feeling there? I am deluded x

Gary A
07-12-16, 22:05
Is it possible to 'make' it itch or be sore? I think about it a lot and think I am thinking about it so much that it's actually causing a feeling there? I am deluded x

It's not raised and irregular, it's not 6mm or above in diameter, it isn't rapidly evolving and it isn't vastly differing colours. Also, a doctor has said its normal.

It's sensible to have a quick check of your moles every now and then, the trick is to draw a line between vigilant and obsessive.

unsure_about_this
07-12-16, 22:55
Agree with Fishmanpa delete the ap.

Agree with others about it sensible to check every now and again and trust the GP.

Magic
08-12-16, 15:06
My daughter had two doctors opinions with her moles on her back. The second doctor made arrangements to have the one of the moles removed. It was benign.
It was about quarter of an inch raised, not like the picture above.
Keep an eye on it Mrschurchhill.

NoraB
08-12-16, 15:33

I've had one on my neck for as long as I can remember. When I had to wear a school uniform with tie and what have you, it used to turn bright red. I'm still here.:yesyes:

Mrschurchill
08-12-16, 16:50
I think because I can't look at it on my own! I have such a weird sensation where the mole is. I don't know if it's a real sensation or because I can't stop thinking about it? (Same if you think you're itchy you will itch!) eeek i hate having moles! X

Fishmanpa
09-12-16, 02:00
Have you deleted the app?

Positive thoughts

Mrschurchill
11-12-16, 16:08
I have. It's made me REALLY anxious. Melanoma right now is on my mind 24/7 and I'm annoyed that I am letting it dampen my Christmas spirit :(

unsure_about_this
11-12-16, 16:16
If you are still worried try to get in to see the GP before Christmas let them have a look at this mole. If you are worried asked to be referred to have it removed,. or just say it just catching against your clothes

Mrschurchill
11-12-16, 16:41
Hmm yeah I could say Catching. I have BUPA so can have it done privately probably before xmas! I'll speak to my other half tonight and see what he says x

unsure_about_this
11-12-16, 22:10
I did the same for when I had a NF lump on my back in 2014 said it was rubbing catching on my clothes, the location of it was why it was catching, the only problem was spending half the day in hospital waiting for it to my turn to go in therate

I was awake as it was only a quick slice and did not need to be put under