PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow I do something BIG.

JosieLouise
07-12-16, 09:32
So tomorrow, I'm going to be taking a huge step forward. For me, anyway.

I've been a singer/performer for years, performing regularly in shows and a couple of years ago, completed a degree. For the majority of this year I've been toying with the idea of going to care homes and nursing homes to sing for them, but have been too anxious. ALL YEAR. My Grandad was ill with cancer until October (when he sadly passed away) and so I took that as an 'opportunity' of sorts to get my act together now that the main source of my stress was gone (for want of a better phrase). So I contacted the residential retirement complex he lived in, asking to sing them some Christmas songs.

And I'm going tomorrow morning!!!

This is a really big deal for me and I've never been so scared/excited/bewildered all at once! I've never done any kind of performing thing completely by myself and it feels so alien yet very exciting! I don't doubt my ability to sing... I doubt my ability to interact properly and am just hoping to God they enjoy it!

Aaaarrghhhhhhh!!

KeeKee
07-12-16, 09:35
Good luck. Don't worry about interaction if that's a struggle for you, they will be overjoyed by the singing and that's all that counts.

Fishmanpa
07-12-16, 12:32
As they say in the "biz"... Break a Leg! :) Seriously, this is good stuff. As a musician/performer, I can say that if it weren't for the gigs I had/have during this very difficult time with my wife's illness, I would have lost it!

Have fun and others around you will too!

Positive thoughts

brucealmighty
07-12-16, 12:38
huge respect to you for doing this, they will love having you there and the only interaction you`ll need is when you see them smiling or singing along.
sat here smiling myself just reading your post!:D

best of luck for the morning and please post again to let us know how it went, I bet you will be absolutely buzzing for days after

MyNameIsTerry
07-12-16, 12:52
I think this is brilliant! A good deed for the old folks and a way to further honour your GF (just like people doing something for charity to raise money).

There is a Douglas Macmillan hospice near to me and they advertise for volunteers just to go in and talk to them. They recognise how it helps people get through such tough times. Look how well taking dogs into hospices works for adults & children in lifting the spirits and singing or having a laugh is excellent medicine for everything as they will feel more positive.

I bet you will be fine once you start singing, it's always the anticipation with these things and then your focus & memory will take over from everything else.

I hope you enjoy yourself and they enjoy your singing. I bet you will be getting plenty of smiles and compliments from them. It's not easy to do this for anyone and I bet the staff are well behind you in improving the quality of life for residents.

On that note, I now feel inspired for something Christmassy, maybe a quick blast of...

Good King Wenceslas looked out
on the feast of Stephen,
silly bugger he fell out,
deep and crisp and even.
Brightly shown his arse that night,

That brings back some childhood memories! :biggrin:

JosieLouise
08-12-16, 12:02
Thank you for your wonderful support! It's really difficult to get across to some people how anxiety can put the huge wall up against something you really want to do.
The performance went well, and I found the interaction easier than I thought I would. A couple of them cried, which I was not prepared for, but I'm very happy with what I did!
Now I just need to stop myself analysing and I'll be okay!

brucealmighty
08-12-16, 12:24
that's brilliant news you should be really proud of yourself, your granddad will be delighted looking down on you

well done and here`s to your first sell out tour:hugs:

Fishmanpa
08-12-16, 12:36
If you brought a couple of them to tears then you did exactly what you were supposed to do! When you can touch another with music to that extent, you have a gift :) Congrats on the performance!

Positive thoughts