PDA

View Full Version : Nosebleeds and breathing

spacebunnyx
07-12-16, 14:37
Hi everyone,

I'm blatantly seeking reassurance here! :)

I have been having increasing nosebleeds out of one nostril since I was only a few weeks pregnant. I'm now 28 weeks with twins.
I can barely breathe out of my left nostril and I bleed from that side almost every day... it's not a proper gush - but still substantial and bright red.

I saw an ENT doctor about a month ago who had a quick look and said - all OK should settle down after pregnancy. He said to use vaseline to keep airways moist. He couldn't see far though as I have a deviated septum on that side.

I am also on injectible blood thinners and aspirin.

I know I know... this is probably one of those weird pregnancy things... but I keep worrying I've got a tumour up my nose - despite lots of evidence to the contrary!

Has anyone here experienced nose issues whilst pregnant or have a deviated septum. Blood just freaks me out big time! :scared15:

Thank you.

LateRoses
07-12-16, 15:41
Congrats on the twins!

I'm not pregnant but my boss is about 6 1/2 months along and I swear about every other day I see her with a piece of tissue stuck up her nose to stem a nosebleed.

debs71
07-12-16, 15:51
Blood thinners combined with aspirin will make you susceptible to bleeding easily.

That is one more than likely cause.

Secondly, a dry nose can cause it to bleed. This kind of cold, wintery, dryish weather causes dry nasal passages. The drier it is, the more likely it is to bleed, and the blood thinners will exacerbate things.

There are nasal saline sprays you can buy that moisturize the nose. I suffer from nosebleeds now and then and I found Neilmed dry nose gel moisturizer really helped me a lot.

spacebunnyx
07-12-16, 19:23
Hi lateroses - that must be quite a sight! It does seem to be a pregnancy 'thing" for some people.. wish my brain would accept it!!! I never had nosebleeds before... and it all started since I've been pregnant... it's all so logical!

Hi debs - thank you for your reply also. I agree the dry air isn't helping; especially as I'm stuck inside most of the time with central heating on as well. Did you get your moisturiser from the pharmacy? I'm currently shoving vaseline up my nostril and it doesn't seem to do much.. but will try your recommendation. How come you suffer from nosebleeds if you don't mind me asking? Is it the cold?

Thanks xxx

debs71
08-12-16, 21:51
spacebunny - sorry for the late reply.

I got mine via ebay as that particular brand is a bit pricey in chemists, but it is an excellent brand for ENT type stuff. ENT docs recommend it and often prescribe it. (They do a variety of nasal type things)

Vaseline isn't the easiest thing to stick up your nose, but a simple saline spray is very good too. You can buy them very cheaply in the likes of Boots and Superdrug.

I'm not sure why I have them, to be honest. I do tend to suffer from 'dry' conditions - dry skin, flaky scalp and also have issues with my ears and sinuses, but I get the bleeds usually when the air is really dry and heated, like at home during cold weather. It is horrible, I know. There is nothing worse than seeing a lot of bleeding from somewhere on the body....freaks you out, so I do sympathise.

Try not to worry. An explanation is there simply by the fact you are having anticoagulants. I would give the very regular moisturizing a go, and if it doesn't improve, maybe have a wee word with you doc. xx

spacebunnyx
12-12-16, 14:03
Thank you Debs I'll get some of that. xxx

KeeKee
12-12-16, 14:17
I've only ever had 2 nose bleeds in my life. Both during pregnancy and completely out of the blue (in fact they woke me up during the night). I'm pretty sure it's normally during pregnancy.