PDA

View Full Version : Pelvic Ultrasound any advice?

Munchlet
07-12-16, 15:47
Ok so I know you can't tell me whether or not everything is ok but just wondered if anyone else had experienced this.

I had a pelvic ultrasound today because I'd had the mirena coil for 6 months and been bleeding constantly. The GP was worried about fibroids/thickened womb lining etc. Funnily enough I had the coil removed 4 weeks ago and ever since have had no problems so I think the hormones were causing my bleeding.

Anyway the radiographer was very chatty and said that the lining of my womb is nice and thin and and she'd managed to picture my left ovary which looked fine but she couldn't get my right ovary, she then had another go and said "oh that's good I've managed to get it now" she then proceeded to say that she'd just check she'd got everything she needed and I could go. As I went to leave she said "give it a couple of weeks and you can make an appt to see your GP to discuss the results. I immediately said "oh I'm worried now" to which she said "don't worry", I then in typical HA fashion said "I'm worried about cancer" and she said "no no don't worry about cancer".

The thing is I keep thinking if everything was normal why would she said make an appt to discuss the results with your Dr?

I spoke to my friend who was a GP receptionist and she said it all sounds like normal procedure to her and if there was anything concerning she wouldn't be telling me to leave it a couple of weeks and certainly wouldn't be saying don't worry. She also pointed out that the Dr had referred me on the grounds that if my womb lining was thick she might need to arrange a biopsy or I might choose to have an ablation. The radiographer did say that as she started the scan and said in her opinion I didn't need one but I could still choose to have one if I wanted and my periods were an issue.

So she thinks it's more a case of go in and discuss the results because you need to decide what course of action you are going to take next if any but in my little warped anxious mind I'm thinking she's seen something horrible and doesn't want to tell me.

Does anyone know if this sounds normal, in the past they've always just said then and there it all looks fine and never mentioned anything about results although I have just noticed on the information leaflet it says please allow up to 10 days before contacting your GP for results.

Sorry just having a panic!

Fishmanpa
07-12-16, 16:03
It's normal procedure. Emphasizing the "NORMAL" part :)

Positive thoughts

Annie0904
07-12-16, 16:26
I have had pelvic ultrasounds a few times now and each time have had to go to my GP for results. It is normal procedure. The radiographer isn't allowed to give results.

Kathryn313
08-12-16, 07:15
If the GP referred you, then they would want to talk you through the result if the US and check you are doing ok.

It's just the right way to do things as they are interested too.

NoraB
08-12-16, 07:50
Anyway the radiographer was very chatty and said that the lining of my womb is nice and thin and and she'd managed to picture my left ovary which looked fine but she couldn't get my right ovary, she then had another go and said "oh that's good I've managed to get it now" she then proceeded to say that she'd just check she'd got everything she needed and I could go. As I went to leave she said "give it a couple of weeks and you can make an appt to see your GP to discuss the results.

I've had enough of these done to know it's standard stuff. She's seen nothing abnormal.

On my last one, (I'd been referred because of post meno bleeding) the woman said my womb lining was thicker than it should be so I was sent for a hysteroscopy there and then and I was fine.

The thing is I keep thinking if everything was normal why would she said make an appt to discuss the results with your Dr?

It's routine.

You've got nothing to worry about lovely. X

Munchlet
08-12-16, 21:53
Hi thank you so much for the replies.

It's horrible what HA does to you, the weird thing is I've had them before and never really given them a second thought, if she hadn't mentioned seeing the doctor for the results I probably wouldn't have done this time!

Thanks again it's reassuring to know that it all appears to be routine.