PDA

View Full Version : One Calf Bigger Than the Other. Possible Blood Clot?

ChaseG1
08-12-16, 01:15
The past few weeks, I haven't been that active cause I've been sick. Occasionally, I would get some pain in my thighs, my ankle, and on top of my knee on my left leg. These pains would go away in a couple minutes, maybe not even that long. This morning, I had sharp pain behind my knee. Again, it only lasted a couple minutes and then it went away and hasn't been back since. I was looking up some of the symptoms of a blood clot in the leg after this had happened. After looking at my leg in the mirror, I had noticed my left calf was slightly bigger than my right one. I measured it with some flexible measuring tape, and my left leg came out to be around 44, and my right was 42. So not that much of a difference, but still something. I don't have any discoloration like my leg being red or blue, my left leg isn't warmer to the touch, and it doesn't hurt when I put my leg out straight and bend my toes upward. I just want to know if maybe these are early signs of a blood clot and if its something I should be concerned about, or if I'm just being completely paranoid.

Catherine S
08-12-16, 01:23
Are you left handed / favour the left side of your body? It could be that the calf muscles are more developed on that side, just as right handed people favour their right side and muscles on that side are slightly bigger. If not, then I wouldn't worry...we all have uneven body parts, from our foot length to our ears! If there's no pain and no heat I would say it sounds normal.

ISB

Fishmanpa
08-12-16, 01:26
One Calf Bigger Than the Other. Possible Blood Clot?

Uhhh No.... We're all naturally asymmetrical.

Positive thoughts

ChaseG1
08-12-16, 01:29
Any ideas on what the various pains could be? Its just a little weird to me that its only in my left leg.

Catherine S
08-12-16, 01:41
From what you said before, you often get pains in various parts of your legs, so maybe tomorrow you'll get the same feeling in your right calf. It sounds more like its muscular and not fatal! You don't mention your age, or if you are normally sporty when you're not inactive . If you're still a growing lad who plays any kind of sport then it would explain the aches and pains.

ISB

ChaseG1
08-12-16, 01:54
Oh, well I'm 19 and typically I'm not very active to begin with. But these past few weeks I've been not doing much other than sitting at my computer chair or lying down, which is why I was worried about a blood clot. Also, I am right handed.

---------- Post added at 17:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:50 ----------

In regards to Fishmanpa's statement about everyone being naturally asymmetrical, I was reading somewhere that a centimeter or more in difference between calf size is abnormal. So that got me a little worried too

SLA
08-12-16, 09:13
It's almost like you are looking for reasons to be worried!

I've been not doing much other than sitting at my computer chair or lying down

Well sort that out while you are 19, and have the ability to do something about it. Don't wait until its too late.