PDA

View Full Version : asbestos ruining my life

goingoutmymind
08-12-16, 12:02
i can see there are already lots of posts about asbestos im sorry that here goes another one
my teenage son has starting the latest tread of free running. which involves him climbing onto roof tops of shop buildings in our local city centre and school flat roofs. at first i was fine now ive started worrying that hes running on,touching, climbing , getting asbestos on his clothes from doing this and now im going crazy
what if hes brought it home on his clothes and then they have gone in my washing machine tumble dryer and the dust has dropped off his clothes and shoes all over my house contaminating the whole house and the beds bedding with the dust etc ? this afternoon im going to throw his bed away and his blankets etc but will the dust fall off and get into my carpets will i breathe it all in removing his stuff ??? i have slept or eaten for days my hands are shaking and i cant concentrate on anything else
ive been watching his videos of his free running on youtube trying to identifie asbestos roofs im literately going crazy i feel like taking the little kids and runnning away. my husband thinks im crazy and wont even talk about it. if i go to my doc will she thnk im crazy too and have the kids taking away fom me. i feel like chritsmas is over because im affaid to let the kids sit on the floor and open there presents because the dust is going to be every where
can anyone help me please ??

Kuatir
08-12-16, 12:17
There is no chance of this happening.

I can't imagine you'll believe me though.

SLA
08-12-16, 12:32
Research just how much exposure to asbestos it takes to cause even a remote chance of illness.

Everyone is exposed to asbestos at some time during their life. Low levels of asbestos are present in the air, water, and soil. However, most people do not become ill from their exposure. People who become ill from asbestos are usually those who are exposed to it on a regular basis, most often in a job where they work directly with the material or through substantial environmental contact.

goingoutmymind
08-12-16, 12:48
no your right i dont believe you but thank you for replying i guess thats why im posting here because everyone here will understand that no matter how much your told something its hard to believe once you have a crazy idea in your head. because i have no idea how the dust from asbestos works im kinda making it up in my own head . like i think its multiplying and burying it self in every thing in my house and dipping over everything it touches spreading from room to room killing us slowly

---------- Post added at 12:48 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

ive been researching non stop ive been phoning the helplines but the idea of there being a bit of asbestos in my house is driving me crazy i need someone to tell me it doesnt work like that . that my son woldnt have brought it in on his clothes

Kuatir
08-12-16, 15:08
Have you had previous periods of time where you've had an idea that you've fixated on?

Also read and re-read the quote in SLA's post. You are not in any danger.

goingoutmymind
08-12-16, 16:44
hi yes a few years ago when my son was 2 weeks old we moved into a rented house, in the garden they had torn down a shed and left the sheets of asbestos in the garden. before i knew it was there the kids played in the garden . i had these thoughts then for the first time had a break down was on medication and we moved house. i left everything at that house beds toys clothes books wardrobes sofas tumble dryer washing machine etc etc we moved into this house and everything was new. new build new everything i was happy i wasnt afraid for the kids to play in the garden on on the carpets. And then my daughter mentioned her boyfriend a plumber worked with asbestos and that started my freak out again. because she will go to his house them come here. i thought she will be bringing the fibres from his clothes on to hers and into my house. then i started thinking about all the roofs my son climbs again bringing fibres back into my house. now i feel like im back to square one

Kuatir
08-12-16, 16:52
OK. You are not in any danger. You need to get some help to work though this. I understand that you just want to protect your family but they are not in any danger. The kids played in the garden a few years ago and they are all fine, yes?

Just to give you an idea of where I am coming from: When I was at university I struggled in a similar way. Not with asbestos, but I won't say what as I don't want to trigger anybody. I would be in a state of panic whenever i was somewhere close to the thing I thought would kill me.

ServerError
08-12-16, 17:18
You have an anxiety disorder and are ruminating on this particular completely irrational fear. You've got as much chance of becoming ill from asbestos exposure this way as I have of spending the night with Ariel from the Little Mermaid.

The fact that you can't accept our reassurance shows that your condition is potentially serious in terms of its impact on your life, and possibly those around you. Seek help for your anxiety as soon as possible.

Captain irrational
08-12-16, 19:29
The overwhelming majority of asbestos related illnesses occur in those who have had heavy occupational exposure to asbestos dust. The shipbuilding industry was one of the worst in this regard, they used vast amounts of loose asbestos insulation which is very prone to releasing lots of dust when working with it.

Most asbestos you will find left in buildings these days will be asbestos cement board, which is harmless in and of itself as the asbestos fibres are bound firmly within the cement. You would have to be physically breaking, sawing or sanding large amounts to the stuff to expose yourself to anywhere near a dangerous level of dust.

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

ive been researching non stop ive been phoning the helplines but the idea of there being a bit of asbestos in my house is driving me crazy i need someone to tell me it doesnt work like that . that my son woldnt have brought it in on his clothes

It's a not so well guarded secret that an awful lot of the asbestos information online is actually sponsered by asbestos litigation lawyers, and big asbestos removal firms, who will naturally be inclined to scare the living bejesus out of you to part with your hard earned money. Asbestos litigation and removal is seriously big money.

The truth is, everybody is exposed to a certain amount of asbestos in their lifetime, there is always a small percentage of naturally occuring asbestos in the air at any given time. Ask any coroner and they will tell you that almost everybody upon death will have some asbestos in their lungs. In spite of this, asbestos related illnesses remain very rare, and as I said, appear almost exclusively in those who were exposed occupationally to large quantities for many years.

NancyW
09-12-16, 03:11
I'd be much more concerned about him running on rooftops. Can't believe this is allowed?

That said... my high school was full of asbestos, next year will be my 40th reunion. I have never heard of anyone having an asbestos related issue.

Back to your son's "free running", not sure where you live but here the property owners and police would be ALL over that.

Fishmanpa
09-12-16, 03:52
You've got as much chance of becoming ill from asbestos exposure this way as I have of spending the night with Ariel from the Little Mermaid.

There's something fishy about that kind of reassurance ;)

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
09-12-16, 05:29
I'd be much more concerned about him running on rooftops. Can't believe this is allowed?

That said... my high school was full of asbestos, next year will be my 40th reunion. I have never heard of anyone having an asbestos related issue.

Back to your son's "free running", not sure where you live but here the property owners and police would be ALL over that.

Yep, our schools were full of asbestos too. They spent decades ripping the stuff out. 30 odd years on, no issues from me and I've never heard of any cases of it either.

The thing is, there are 3 types and the worst are the blue and brown which were used in industrial settings where as white was used in domestic properties and is by far the least risky.

As has been said, it's in the air around us all the time but it's at such a low level that it is considered safe. The problem with asbestos in homes is when you start breaking or drilling because it causes the fibres to spray into the air and you breath it in. It settles in that area and is kicked up and breathed in again. So, they have special equipment to remove the fibres and to protect themselves. With the industrial settings like the shipyards, the more dangerous kinds were heavily used and they used to take it home on their clothes hence why it can impact on their families many years ago before they banned the stuff.

Free running has been around for quite some years now. We have clubs for it over here but they are inside as they wouldn't want people not using crash mats as the potential for injury is high in this.

If you have ever seen the first of the Daniel Craig Bond films, that chase at the beginning where they are watching a snake & mongoose fight and they run through a building site...that's free running and the guy Bond was chasing was one of the creators of it I seem to recall.

It's legal, since sitting on a wall us legal. The laws about private property still apply though. The police will hardly arrest you for running along the top of the public toilet buildings though, they don't have charges for "dickheadedness" :winks:

NancyW
09-12-16, 13:15
Shhhhh.. keep it over there, ok Terry? lol

But then... we have people dropping like flies of heroin overdoses. Terrible. Really terrible.

unsure_about_this
10-12-16, 18:39
I remember being in a training provider when I was doing my NVQ we had a few weeks where we could not be in centre but my assesor said the big c word. As for the company I worked for we were not allowed to go on the floor.

MyNameIsTerry
11-12-16, 05:41
Shhhhh.. keep it over there, ok Terry? lol

But then... we have people dropping like flies of heroin overdoses. Terrible. Really terrible.

I'm really surprised you haven't come across it over there, Nancy. It came from France under the name Parkour. It's amazing to watch and although I took the piss in my last post, I have loads of admiration for the OP's son being brave enough to do it! I wish I was a bit braver like that.

A funny story. One of the managers I used to work with had a habit of jumping over a double post box in the city centre when out getting drunk with his friends. It's about face height and wider than a person. One night he was running up to it and a police van came around the corner so he stopped. They got out and asked what they were hanging around for and he explained his daft plan. They replied 'go on then' and just stood back (probably thinking lets watch this silly drunk bloke make a prat of himself). They weren't disappointed when he got his run up wrong, jumped anyway and landed on the bits no man ever wants a sharp blow to :ohmy::winks: at which the police had a good laugh at him and then drove off. I guess they thought fate had taught him a lesson rather than them telling him to stop acting like an idiot! :roflmao: (our police would certainly give you a telling off for doing anything dangerous like free running).

Yep, we have enough drug misuse over here too. It's everywhere these days.