PDA

View Full Version : fear of feeling sick while travelling

pwidi
08-04-07, 16:19
hello!

i'm pwidi, a 27 year old male from the philippines.

last june 2006 i was travelling in a bus when suddenly i fet dizzy and felt like vomiting. the doctor said that i have high blood pressure. i accepted that as almost inevitable (many relatives at my mother and father's side both have hypertension).

everything was fine and dandy until last february 2007. i was travelling in another public vehicle when my hands were suddenly shaking. another trip to the doctor, and he gave me some medicine.

after that february trip i suddenly felt afraid of travelling far away from home. i exercise regularly, take my medication faithfully, and have this home bp monitor that tells me my bp is within normal limits. my cousin is also a nurse, who takes my bp. normal, she says. everything is, once again, fine and dandy. though i am a little bit overweight, i am working on attaining an ideal weight.

which is why i'm wondering: why am i afraid of travelling far away from home?

i've made some progress after that fateful february trip. i drive regularly and ride public transportation. though i have not yet travelled more than 2 hours away from home after that february incident, i believe that i could do it.

that is, until a few hours ago.

in a moment of weakness, i drank soda like a turbo charged car guzzling gas. since soda has caffeine, my blood pressure naturally rose.

now i know that even after drinking that much soda my blood pressure would eventually drop to normal levels. yet my mind tells me this:

"imagine if that happened in a public vehicle. where would you turn for help? and if you're in a four hour trip... you're screwed."

i know, my brain's a traitor, but i really can't get rid of it, can i?

what should i do to stop this fear?

thanks for your time

Insomniac
14-04-07, 22:55
Hi there

Travelling by bus was when I first started to experience anxiety. Feeling realy sick, hot, dizzy and palpitations. It was a while before I realised that it was more about anxiety than travel!

"My brain is a traitor" - I like that description. It certainly can be. But you will find that you can beat it at its own game. Its not easy because it can be pretty sneaky, but you can learn to outwit the anxiety.

I tend to think along the lines of "so what". Whats the worst that can happen? Yeah, it could be embarrasing, which I hate, but I could get off if I had to. Knowing a bit more about adrenaline helped me. Have you read the forum pages on symptoms, and self help. I found them really helpful. There are some breathing exercises which help keep your reactions under control.

Hope this helps.

pwidi
18-04-07, 11:46
thanks! i'm rereading the help files right now! :D

did you overcome you anxiety of travelling in buses?

once again, thanks! :P

ashnjim
18-04-07, 12:09
H its not so much sickness withme i get pains in my tummy and the urge to want to poo, a bit like food poisioning the pain, but every singl day. i try listening to music ( distraction)