PDA

View Full Version : Swollen gland terror

Muchacho
10-12-16, 11:35
Hey everyone,

Ever since my dad died of cancer some years ago I am terrified of getting it myself. Every little pain I have I'm sure is cancer, even though I know it's highly unlikely, I can never convince myself of this. The only thing that can kinda calm me down is my doctor examining me and telling me everything is fine.
Some days ago I found a swollen lymph node on the side of my neck. It feels pretty solid and doesn't move around. Naturally I was terrified and ran to my doctor. She assured me that it was just due to some throat infection I probably didn't even feel, it wasn't very big (it's about the size of a pea) so it was nothing to worry about. Since then the node hasn't shrunk at all, and even worse I found another swollen node on the other side of my neck, so now I'm back in panic mode. To make things even worse I read multiple articles stating that swollen nodes that feel hard to the touch, are painless and don't move around when you touch them are 'a sign of cancer'. The only thing that calms me down is the fact that I feel fine overall, if I had some form of throat cancer that was far enough developed to spread to my lymph nodes I would've felt it right?

Anyway long story, should I be worried? Should I make another doctor's appointment? Thanks in advance!

half-empty
10-12-16, 15:26
I worked with a lady who was fine one day and the next day both the glands under her neck looked like eggs! And that was cancer. I have a small group of nodes on one side of my neck one is pea sized the others are smaller, I've had them over 2 years and they don't move much. Had them checked and all was fine and I wasn't sick. Try not to worry about them sometimes the lymph nodes swell for the slightest thing and they may never go down again it doesn't mean you have cancer if it bothers you ask for a blood test to put your mind at ease

Fishmanpa
10-12-16, 15:39
As a survivor of Head and neck cancer, I'm sorry to hear about your father. What I see from your post initially is the mis-conception that you have "swollen" nodes. A pea size node is not swollen. You're subconciously affirming they are by calling them swollen. I can tell you that real swollen nodes are VERY obvious and you don't have to go looking for them.

The other thing that is apparent is that you're poking and prodding. Bottom line is that has to stop! Poking and prodding will aggravate things and can and will cause it to actually swell. Too much poking and prodding can lead it to become shotty.

Take your doctors word, stop poking and prodding and look into help with your anxiety.

Positive thoughts