PDA

View Full Version : Fear of fear

Em792
10-12-16, 13:30
Hello everyone, I'm new here so apologies if this post is in the wrong place - I was torn between GAD and panic attacks.

I've been suffering with an anxiety disorder for four and a half years. Ive had lots of CBT, taken antidepressants and as a result it has waxed and waned over the years. It's mainly emetophobia (which therapy partly helped with) and agoraphobia. Recently, however, it's got worse to the point I now dread going out. The reason for this is that I'm frightened of having a panic attack - fear of fear - how bad is that? I've recently been diagnosed with IBS and I'm also scared for that reason - that I'll get cramps and feel sick which links into my emetophobic mind. When I have a panic attack I always feel sick. Ideally I don't want to get to the panic attack stage in the first place because it's much harder to come out of than prevent it.

How does one deal with fear of fear? I'm frightened of having a panic attack and not being able to get to a place I feel calm (which is my home) and where I feel in control. I know that worrying about having a panic makes it more likely to happen but it's like I can't imagine not having one. It's frustrating because all this last year my anxiety had been a lot better and I'd been going out places no problem. It's because of IBS and staying at home I think has made it worse. All I can think is 'what if I'm out and have a panic attack and feel sick and then I do V?' Also i feel like trying to suppress those thoughts will only make it worse so what do I do?

Hope that made sense. Thanks everyone.

Tea
10-12-16, 14:00
There are a bunch of things that have helped me with similar problems. Basically the time that's passed since the worst moments, medication changes, therapy and graded exposure.

I had the same fear of having panic attacks somewhere where I couldn't get back home immediately (I still do, but it's easier), and I forced myself to go out every day. Just around the block to start with, but going slightly further over the weeks and months. It's obviously a long process, but every time you can go out without anything happening gives you positive reinforcement and makes the bad times feel more distant.

Also coming up with some strategies to deal with panic if it comes up away from home is important. Whether it's measured breathing, visualising somewhere relaxing, distracting yourself with a game or anything else that you find helps.

Hopefully you find something in there that helps you :) Hang in there!

Em792
14-12-16, 10:53
Thank you tea, that makes a lot of sense. I do need to come up with strategies!