PDA

View Full Version : 2016 The Year Without Logic!

Drisque
10-12-16, 15:37
For the most part i'm a fairly logic driven individual. I'm very careful when making decisions or forming opinions, and i almost always use inductive/deductive reasoning when doing so. I'm always skeptical when reading articles, or "news" on social media or the Internet in general. However, when it comes to my health I'm one hundred percent illogical. I believe those health related articles I read on the internet, I am frightened by fear mongering that pertains to my health and I worry about cancer despite my young age.

Beneath all of the fear and anxiety I know I'm being illogical. I know this isn't me. I know I can make it out of this, but the events that have taken place in my life over the course of this year have dealt me some serious set backs. There's been so much death, and impending death in both mine and my wife's families, that it almost feels imminent for myself. The strange political atmosphere in my country coupled with my existential anxiety has made 2016 a year to be reckoned with. Well, that was a good rant. Have a good day everyone!

Fishmanpa
10-12-16, 15:40
2016 in the US was definitely a year without logic! ~lol~

Positive thoughts

Drisque
10-12-16, 21:20
Fishmanpa, there is definitely something odd going on in the US lol. Thanks for the reply.

swgrl09
10-12-16, 21:45
2016 in the US was definitely a year without logic! ~lol~

Positive thoughts

My first thought when I saw the thread title lol

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:44 ----------

And drisque, I feel very similar to you. The news has made my fears worse!

MyNameIsTerry
11-12-16, 05:43
My first thought when I saw the thread title lol

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:44 ----------

And drisque, I feel very similar to you. The news has made my fears worse!

:D Yes, I was thinking this was going to be a Trump or Brexit thread! Now we can add Italy to it too. :winks:

OP - it's the Achilles Heal of the HA sufferer. I don't have it as I don't suffer from HA themes in my anxiety hence I'm 100% rational about anything health wise and can read through it all and immediately discount the stuff that a HA worried focusses on. But spin back to earlier years and war or civil unrest used to spike my anxiety. And my own themes do too. I found the best way to attack this was to learn why I thought as I did and for me a big part of this was learning about Cognitive Distortions.

With losing people you are bound to think of your own mortality. Wouldn't it be worse if you didn't? But the year is really irrelevant, as you know, because this year is the same as last year and year before it and nothing changes what will happen and what won't. It's only the anxious mind looking for risks.

But to end on a good note for the US - Kirk Douglas 100! Wow!

NoraB
11-12-16, 07:00
but the events that have taken place in my life over the course of this year have dealt me some serious set backs. There's been so much death, and impending death in both mine and my wife's families, that it almost feels imminent for myself.

Hi Drisque, I have been having panic attacks for three years now but I can pinpoint exactly when the anxiety started and it was the day my mum died five years ago. That night I woke up with chest pains but it took two years of gradual stress (which I recognise now like irritability and being unable to concentrate or complete tasks) to take it to panic attacks and then where I am now, which is general panic disorder. I make some progress and then something happens to knock me back down. I'm down again and this time with some depression thrown in for good measure but is it any coincidence that I'm struggling when I lost my friend to cancer two months ago? When people around you die, you question your own mortality and not always in a rational way.

The strange political atmosphere in my country coupled with my existential anxiety has made 2016 a year to be reckoned with. Well, that was a good rant. Have a good day everyone!

The thought of Trump being sworn in has me breathing into a paper bag!:scared11:

MyNameIsTerry
11-12-16, 07:29
The thought of Trump being sworn in has me breathing into a paper bag!:scared11:

But will they change it to "you've been hired" just for him? :yesyes:

NoraB
11-12-16, 07:44
But will they change it to "you've been hired" just for him? :yesyes:

I'd give anything to see that.:roflmao:

Drisque
11-12-16, 16:00
The thought of Trump being sworn in has me breathing into a paper bag!:scared11:[/QUOTE]

I can relate lol. I actually live in Iowa, and in my neck of the woods I'm the minority when it comes to opposing Trump. Yikes!:lac:

axolotl
11-12-16, 23:57
He seems bored with the job before he's even started. It was about winning, not doing any work as President. Wouldn't surprise me if he steps down and you get Pence as Pres no. 46 before 2020 (if that's any better!).

Drisque
12-12-16, 01:20
Pence would be a disaster too, just a more subtle one. That's just my opinion though.

NoraB
12-12-16, 05:57
I can relate lol. I actually live in Iowa, and in my neck of the woods I'm the minority when it comes to opposing Trump. Yikes!:lac:

Awkward lol

I was genuinely gobsmacked when he won because while Mrs Clinton wouldn't have been my first choice either, she at least has the experience. So basically a bloke with a seriously bad attitude (not to mention, hair) with no political or military experience will have the codes to the nukes come 2017...

I still keep flicking my face to make sure I'm not having one of my weird dreams. :scared15:

MyNameIsTerry
12-12-16, 06:01
Awkward lol

I was genuinely gobsmacked when he won because while Mrs Clinton wouldn't have been my first choice either, she at least has the experience. So basically a bloke with a seriously bad attitude (not to mention, hair) with no political or military experience will have the codes to the nukes come 2017...

I still keep flicking my face to make sure I'm not having one of my weird dreams. :scared15:

I've said it before, the way the world is going there will be a President Kardashian in the future! God help us, it could be Prime Minister Essex over here! :ohmy::doh:

NoraB
12-12-16, 06:09
I've said it before, the way the world is going there will be a President Kardashian in the future! God help us, it could be Prime Minister Essex over here! :ohmy::doh:

Prime Minister Essex in Danning Street? It would be the biggest upset since Fatcha lol.:roflmao:

Mind you, if Trump's still overlord in America at least they can discuss shades of fake tan.:yesyes:

Fishmanpa
12-12-16, 12:42
Mind you, if Trump's still overlord in America at least they can discuss shades of fake tan.:yesyes:

Do you mean Fifty Shades of Orange?... OMG... the parallels are uncanny! Young Melania meets a tortured Billionaire who has to exert his power over others ina way.......... :whistles:

But back on track... Concerning the year without logic part? Sheesh... what's happened in my life bears no logic at all. It's been a true WTF 2nd half of 2016 for sure. Sometimes it's best not to try an analyze it and just go with the flow to survive.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
12-12-16, 13:35
Prime Minister Essex in Danning Street? It would be the biggest upset since Fatcha lol.:roflmao:

That would be "sick" :yesyes: PM Essex could introduce words into Hansard like "well jel" when addressing a policy he approves of from the opposition.

Do they accept a X instead of a signature on international treaties? :roflmao:

"Totes amaze balls" has probably gone now with Ed being on Strictly.

Well there is a spoof "Fifty Shades of Black", seen it in Tesco so you never know...:whistles:

Theresa May has probably got enough trouble keeping the "kids" in order on the front bench at the moment, she does seem to be slapping their legs quite a bit for saying things she doesn't approve of. :winks:

Gemma Collins for the Secretary of State for Health? :ohmy:

Sound crazy? Anyone seen Labour's front bench recently? :roflmao:

NoraB
12-12-16, 14:20
Do you mean Fifty Shades of Orange?... OMG... the parallels are uncanny! Young Melania meets a tortured Billionaire who has to exert his power over others ina way.......... :whistles:

:roflmao:

But back on track... Concerning the year without logic part? Sheesh... what's happened in my life bears no logic at all. It's been a true WTF 2nd half of 2016 for sure. Sometimes it's best not to try an analyze it and just go with the flow to survive.

Positive thoughts

I've been on a five year Annus horribilis starting with my mum unexpectedly coffing it and since then it's been one thing after another. Also, my childhood icons are disappearing at an alarming rate which only feeds the impending sense of doom.:ohmy:

I agree though...sometimes it's just better to go with the flow to stay sane.

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

Do they accept a X instead of a signature on international treaties?

They'll probably keep a pot of poster paint handy and employ somebody to push their index finger in it to leave a fingerprint, like in pre-school.:dribble:

Gemma Collins for the Secretary of State for Health? :ohmy:

That's the sugar tax abolished.:yesyes:

A TOWIE gem..

Chloe Sims: "Do you know what Pancake Day is for and why we celebrate it?"

Lauren Pope: "It''s something to do with someone who has the surname Pancake."

With the way 2016 has gone...ANYTHING is possible.:scared15:

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-16, 05:44
They'll probably keep a pot of poster paint handy and employ somebody to push their index finger in it to leave a fingerprint, like in pre-school.:dribble:

That's the sugar tax abolished.:yesyes:

A TOWIE gem..

Chloe Sims: "Do you know what Pancake Day is for and why we celebrate it?"

Lauren Pope: "It''s something to do with someone who has the surname Pancake."

With the way 2016 has gone...ANYTHING is possible.:scared15:

They are taxing Lord Sugar? Couldn't they tax Lady Brady instead? Perhaps a quid every time she screws her face up as if she's simultaneously sucking a lemon whilst squinting to see some small print like she forgot her glasses? :winks:

NoraB
13-12-16, 06:04

Couldn't they tax Lady Brady instead? Perhaps a quid every time she screws her face up as if she's simultaneously sucking a lemon whilst squinting to see some small print like she forgot her glasses? :winks:

That'll be when the HRT patch has fallen into her brew.:D

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-16, 13:39
That'll be when the HRT patch has fallen into her brew.:D

I will be thinking that every time I see her now.

What was Nick's excuse? :ohmy::D