PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lamps - Anybody used these?

Kathryn313
10-12-16, 20:19
Hi

I have recently read a story about Himalayan salt lamps being good for anxiety. Does anyone have one of these? It is possible for them to have any real benefit?

MidnightRunner
11-12-16, 13:04
I've heard about these, and would be interested to know the benefits for anxiety.

MyNameIsTerry
12-12-16, 13:41
Me too. I have got one of the inhalers to hopefully help improve my asthma (not tried it yet) so that may bring some benefits too?

Also, they are very pretty things to have as well. I know they act as natural ionisers and help with some things because of that element.

How about salt cave therapy? There are several centres in the UK now. Sit in a salt cave for a bit. I bet it's expensive though. They sit in the original caves abroad for health reasons. Like swimming in the dead sea, I suppose...which is rather struggling through a muddy substance.

glassgirlw
17-12-16, 03:23
I have one on next to my bed as we speak!! I have had it for a couple months now. I have found that I sleep better, dream less, and overall feel less stressed. To be honest, I don't know whether to attribute that to the actual lamp itself, or if all the research I did on them worked it's way into my head and caused a placebo effect. Regardless, it's working for me and I love it! And as Terry said, they really are quite pretty to look at!! ☺

Magic
17-12-16, 14:17
Thanks for asking about the salt lamps Kathryn. I have never heard of salt lamps.
I will certainly inquire about them. Anything for a good nights sleep x

Mochi
17-12-16, 20:53
I have one in my bedroom... it let's off nice light, but other than that I can't say it helps my anxiety... I feel like my anxiety is terrible in the morning which is after I have been in a room with my lamp for several hours.

My husband bought it because it is supposed to counter the positive ions in the air from our electronic devices... with negative ones to cleanse the air.

M

MyNameIsTerry
18-12-16, 07:26
Some cool ones I remember seeing when discussing this no another thread ages ago:

http://site.himalayansaltshop.com/images/spread.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/d5/4b/41/d54b41dc7e869d8d7ac63b8b2173fae2.jpg

The one fashioned into a tree is very nice.

Magic
18-12-16, 14:22
I did look on Amazon, cannot make my mind up about them. I would not be able to go to sleep with any light on, even if it was dim.

Kathryn313
20-12-16, 07:32
I will get one after Christmas and see how I get on with it.

hopeful1
20-12-16, 18:39
I have just bought a salt lamp and love it. It gives off a warm light which I find very calming, a little help is better than none for anxiety. Not sure about the other claims they make as I haven't had it long but love the relaxing ambience.

LunaLiuna
23-12-16, 11:40
I have one next to my bed, that I turn on every night for around half an hour, to an hour. I cannot vouch for any other benefits except that it really is soothing. I have been been meaning to put one in every room.

Orange light (like the sunset) encourages our brains to produce Melatonin (a hormone vital to sleep); something which salt lamps provide, and normal lights do not. That is, unless you have one of those super old bulbs! Make sure you also alter the white light content of your phone/computer, as this can also help if you are staring at it late at night. There are many good apps for this too, although my iPhone has an in-built setting for it :)

bdale1234
24-12-16, 18:19
I thought of getting one.

MyNameIsTerry
24-12-16, 18:33
I have one next to my bed, that I turn on every night for around half an hour, to an hour. I cannot vouch for any other benefits except that it really is soothing. I have been been meaning to put one in every room.

Orange light (like the sunset) encourages our brains to produce Melatonin (a hormone vital to sleep); something which salt lamps provide, and normal lights do not. That is, unless you have one of those super old bulbs! Make sure you also alter the white light content of your phone/computer, as this can also help if you are staring at it late at night. There are many good apps for this too, although my iPhone has an in-built setting for it :)

That's good to know, Luna. I remember you when you were here before and you knew about stuff like this.

I was reading an article ages ago about screen light and it was something about how blue light stimulates a chemical in the brain. I can't remember which it was but it wasn't Serotonin, so it was something probably outside of the sleep wake cycle? There were even glasses you could buy to filter it out. They were yellow. A bit pricey though.

LunaLiuna
24-12-16, 19:13
That's good to know, Luna. I remember you when you were here before and you knew about stuff like this.

I was reading an article ages ago about screen light and it was something about how blue light stimulates a chemical in the brain. I can't remember which it was but it wasn't Serotonin, so it was something probably outside of the sleep wake cycle? There were even glasses you could buy to filter it out. They were yellow. A bit pricey though.

Yes, I remember you too Terry! I hope you are doing well :)

White/Blue light as far as I know, simply caused the greatest reduction in Melatonin production in the research I have come across. Which is fairly easily understood; we do not need it during the day as much, which is also when this type of light is most common. White light will probably increase the production of other chemicals in the brain though, and I'm not sure if it relates to dopamine or cortisol. I'm no expert, this is just separate reading to my degree:)

Yes, they are common in jobs that require a lot of time spent in front of artificial lighting. Such as professional gaming, or video editing.

Merry Christmas!

Gettingbetternow
18-01-17, 10:13
They are fantastic I have 4 of them for whatever reason they are very calming