PDA

View Full Version : Back pain. cancer anxiety getting bad. halp

anxietyunicorn
11-12-16, 04:48
a couple weeks ago i went to the gym, came home and took a bath and all the sudden my back started hurting and spasming. since then the pain has been on and off really awful and i tried resisting dr google but of course as the hypochondriac i am i could not. I've been having anxiety attacks the last couple days thinking its lymphoma or spinal cancer. I havent any other symptom. No night sweats (definitely no weight loss lol) I cant even feel any swollen lymph nodes. The anxiety attacks definitely seem to worsen the pain. I know i have to ultimately see a dr but for now i dont have anyone to talk to about it who understands.

Kaede
11-12-16, 11:38
The fact that this happened after you went to the gym would signal to me that the cause is most likely muscosceletal.

I think you should go see a doctor, not because I think it's anything serious, but it would not only give you the piece of mind, but it might also give you the tools to prevent this from becoming a chronic issue.

saf138
11-12-16, 13:44
I have suffered with back problems for 10+years ranging from slipped discs, sciatica, muscle strains etc etc which could at times reduce me to tears with the pain especially the spasms with sciatica and what you have described sounds very much like a nerve issue especially since you mentioned spasms.
Plz don't start prodding around for nodes because you will find normal nodes which you have never felt before which may cause you to panic.
Go see your doctor to prevent any long term problems with your back and you'll be fine.

P.s I highly recommend taking a shower after the gym since you have fatigued your muscles you want to keep your spine as upright and straight as possible whereas a bath can put your spine and neck in a awkward position plus lying there for a long time will soften\relax the muscles too much which could cause you to twinge something with a sudden movement.

Kathryn313
11-12-16, 14:06
Do have have a treatment plan for your anxiety?

Fishmanpa
11-12-16, 20:09
Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

Positive thoughts

anxietyunicorn
13-12-16, 23:17
Thanks for the replies, I started icing my back and took a couple days off the gym and it seems to better although it hurts to stand a long time still so I'm thinking cancer pain wouldn't get better from that. Regardless I'm gonna see a dr as soon as I can I'm worried about this being recurring as a runner that would suck

Stecakes
13-12-16, 23:33
did you train without stretching?
was you training shoulders by any chance?
does the pain increase when you twist your body?
if yes then it's safe to say you've injured muscle in your back
these aren't big muscles like lats or traps they're deeper stabilising muscles
and without good rehab can plague you for a long time. don't use ice , you want lots of
heat, do light stretches after shower.swimming session would be beneficial try to be aware of your posture too

anxietyunicorn
14-12-16, 17:14
did you train without stretching?
was you training shoulders by any chance?
does the pain increase when you twist your body?
if yes then it's safe to say you've injured muscle in your back
these aren't big muscles like lats or traps they're deeper stabilising muscles
and without good rehab can plague you for a long time. don't use ice , you want lots of
heat, do light stretches after shower.swimming session would be beneficial try to be aware of your posture too
I did in fact stupidly enough run about 7 miles without stretching but I wasn't training shoulders. The pain has all but gone except when I stand for long periods of time. Twisting is fine. Thank you for the advice though I'll probably pick up a heating pad today.