PDA

View Full Version : God Dam stingy doctors!

Piscian Daydreamer
08-04-07, 19:25
Why is it that doctors are so against prescribing drugs??

I hear so many people on here saying they are 'afraid' to take drugs but i am the complete opposite. I don't care about the side effects. Citalopram has killed my sex drive and makes me stay awake alllll night but if it makes me less anxious i am so grateful.

The thing that really p*sses me off is the fact that my doctor is so stingy with supplying drugs. I tell him i don't care if i'm on them for the rest of my life if they work without any real damage.
It just angers me how when my body seems to get used to a low dose and the anxiety comes back, he is so against upping the dose.

Why don't they like prescribing higher doses if they work? For example, i am on 20 mg of Citalopram and still feel anxious. Surely the intelligent thing is to up my dosage. What if i was on 40 or 60? Surely that would help me a lot more!

I want more drugs!!

LOL

sarah1984
08-04-07, 20:07
Hi-I've found the opposite-docs seem keen to palm people off with the happy-pills without going to the real heart of the problem. I was given seroxat at the age of 14, no problems. However, some docs seem really in favour and others are against prescribing anti-depressants. When I got to uni, the doc at the health centre was dead set on getting me off them as he thought I'd been on meds far too long (7 years). Other docs have told me they see no problems in me taking them for as long as I need.... Perhaps you should suss out a doc at the same practice who's more "pro-medication"?!!

I'm not sure about the higher doses-I took 60mg (the max dose) of seroxat for several years. Perhaps the higher dose pills are more expensive to manufacture?

ksmith
08-04-07, 20:10
It seems that doctors are arbitary in their approach to prescribing drugs. Mine can't give me enough (think this is so that I don't bother them too much). The fact that you've told him you don't care if you are on them for the rest of your life may have alarmed him.

You don't say how long you've been on the drug and so perhaps s/he is waiting to see how you go before upping the dosage? I was on mine for nearly a year before they prescribed 40 mg. Speaking for myself, I have to allow my doctor to think it was his decision (for example, prescribing diazipam). If you appear to 'know' what you want they can be funny about prescribing things.

If I were you I would go back and have a word. Is there another GP at the practice that you could see?

Kay