PDA

View Full Version : Hi Advice please

Stevo1980
08-04-07, 21:16
I am new here and was hoping for some advice.

I have always suffered with ectopic beats (extra ones) and have been investigated and my heart is fine.

I am 6 months pregnant at the moment and have a heavy chest infction which I am being treated for.

Any way I was in the car last night when I felt my heart jump and I mentally said to myself its fine just one of these beats but then I got this massive rush like adrenaline and my heart started beating wildly. My husband stopped the car and i got out, I felt like I was going to pass out and my hands were tingling and I was sweating. My husband told me to take deep breaths as he thought I was having a panic attack. I did and eventaully calmed down as did my heart.

I've never had a panic attack and can't understand why I would have. Does it sound like panic to you guys?

I have been so stressed out today I haven't moved!!

I would greatly appreciate any advice, I have convinced myself I'm dying now.

Stevo.

nomorepanic
08-04-07, 21:19
Hi Stevo

Welcome aboard.

That does sound like a panic attack and sometimes they happen for not reason atall.

Sorry to hear about the chest infection but congratulations on the forthcoming baby.

Have an early night and take things easy cos panic does drain you a lot.

Hope you feel better soon.

Stevo1980
09-04-07, 22:13
Thankyou for your replies.

Any ideas how I would be able to tell if this is something more serious though like a Cardiac Arrythmia?

I just find it so difficult to believe this could have been caused by panic.

Stevo.

RLR
10-04-07, 12:22
Depending upon whether you're being treated with antibiotics for your upper respiratory infection, more specifically the type of antibiotic, then certain classes of newer antibiotics can cause palpitations, agitiation and altered sensation in some patients. It is transient and typically resolves within several days after the course of medication has been completed. Zithromax (Azithromycin) has a high rate of complaints in this area, along with some of the newer quinilones, both of which are fairly aggressive antibiotics available on the market.

If you've not previously suffered with panic disorder or intense anxiety, then my first impression would be that the event you describe was the consequence of specific antibiotic side-effects. You'll be fine.