PDA

View Full Version : Slightly abnormal liver function.

BikerMatt
11-12-16, 22:19
Any advice would be much appreciated:D

I went to my GP as I've just not felt right for a while now. I normally don't catch many things but this year I've had strep throat twice, chest infections, lots of colds and the dreaded norovirus. I just feel heavy and sluggish if that makes sense.

He sent me for loads of blood tests which included the regular things thyroid, fbc, diabetes, liver function, glandular fever and others I didn't understand.

I phoned to get the results and the receptionist said my GP had marked everything as being normal.

Anyway I saw a different GP this week (after getting nagged by family as I've done my back in :curse::curse:) When I was there I asked if the GP to go through my blood tests with me which he did. He informed me my liver function test called ALT had come back as 55 and normal is up to 50. He said not to worry as it was 55 five years ago when my bloods were last taken. He told me to think about not drinking alcohol but I haven't drunk alcohol for ten years.

I'm not particularly worried but it does play on your mind.

Anybody have or heard of similar.

Lakme
12-12-16, 02:34
A quick google search revealed that high ALT levels could be a result of certain medications or strenuous exercise. I'm certainly not a doctor but I f your ALT levels have been like this for 5 years now I wouldn't worry too much about it. Also, you should tell your doctor that you haven't been drinking.

Generally, the consensus with doctors sometimes seems to be that if you weren't born with some sort of degenerative disease, the answer is always "stop smoking/stop drinking" and this can be irritating especially if you're not a drinker, or you haven't been for an extended period of time. If problems persist I would suggest referring back to him for a second opinion.

Also something that is slightly above normal or slightly below normal isn't necessarily always bad. My chloride levels are 2 points below normal and all my doctor told me was to drink more electrolytes.

BikerMatt
12-12-16, 22:24
A quick google search revealed that high ALT levels could be a result of certain medications or strenuous exercise. I'm certainly not a doctor but I f your ALT levels have been like this for 5 years now I wouldn't worry too much about it. Also, you should tell your doctor that you haven't been drinking.

Generally, the consensus with doctors sometimes seems to be that if you weren't born with some sort of degenerative disease, the answer is always "stop smoking/stop drinking" and this can be irritating especially if you're not a drinker, or you haven't been for an extended period of time. If problems persist I would suggest referring back to him for a second opinion.

Also something that is slightly above normal or slightly below normal isn't necessarily always bad. My chloride levels are 2 points below normal and all my doctor told me was to drink more electrolytes.

Thanks for the reply. I think doctors in the uk are trained to tell everyone and anyone to.... stop smoking, don't drink and loose weight! Well how about this doc..... I don't smoke anymore! I haven't consumed alcohol for 10 years! I've put weight on because you prescribed me mirtazapine! Now doc if you could look away from your computer, look me in the eye and give me more than 3 minutes of your time it would be appreciated! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: