PDA

View Full Version : What is the normal look of alveolar mucosa?

alxwang
12-12-16, 21:22
HI All,

I am a little bit panic not when I found some white area on my alveolar mucosa beside the labial frenum on upper side of my mouth - i have attached a photo.
I then get less panic because:
1. I have the same condition on the other side of the same labial frenum
2. It does not match any horrible photo samples I collected to be alert.
3. I just have an oral cancer screen one month ago and has no problem.
But I have to know why it is white so I keep dig in and now I am totally lost.
Internet tells me " It is "red, smooth and shiny"" so I should not see the white area.

So my question is: What is the normal look of alveolar mucosa?

Thanks

NancyW
12-12-16, 22:17
Holy goodness, how do you know those words?

A better question... what does knowing them mean?

Not being a wise guy, but we're not medical professionals and we shouldn't pretend to be.

Fishmanpa
12-12-16, 22:21
Holy goodness, how do you know those words?

A Masters from Google University? :)

That being said, if it weren't for Google, I wouldn't know so much about my wife's illness or the medical issues I suffered from. But there's a difference about educating yourself your about actual issues and scaring yourself about imaginary ones.

Positive thoughts

lofwyr
12-12-16, 23:13
A Masters from Google University? :)

That being said, if it weren't for Google, I wouldn't know so much about my wife's illness or the medical issues I suffered from. But there's a difference about educating yourself your about actual issues and scaring yourself about imaginary ones.

Positive thoughts

It can be a very powerful tool. I was told I had suspected nodular melanoma. I was scared out of my mind, of course, while I waited for the biopsy results.

But while I waited, I noticed something. As a sufferer with HA, I naturally assumed if the Doc thought I had it, I was pretty much 100%. When I accepted it--and I was scared witless--I allowed myself on Google, for the first time in a decade (for medical stuff). It was amazingly powerful, and useful as a tool. I was not focused on "do I have this" or "do I have that." But it taught me a ton about the condition I "knew" I had, and it let me see that there really is a value to it. It was amazingly eye opening.

So if you are genuinely diagnosed with something, then there is no harm in using it.

That said, it came back benign, but that one was not on me or my HA. The doctor found it, suspected it to be NM, and biopsied straight away. He was also surprised it came back benign. So now, the unfortunate side effect of that episode is that I have a brain filled to the gills with "knowledge" about NM, the deadliest kind, because I didn't wait for the biopsy before I dug in.

Fishmanpa
12-12-16, 23:23
Even researching something you have can be dangerous. With my cancer, the statistics were frightening! I learned with the help of a very good on-line forum, that everyone is different and with a positive attitude and a great team of doctors, I totally beat the odds ;)

Here's a great example. I had what was a suspected lipoma removed form my lower back today. If I look up lump in lower back, the results are scary! More scary options than the harmless lipoma it was. Fact is, I didn't look it up and believed my doctor so I wasn't stressed about what he would find and he found exactly what he said he'd find.

Positive thoughts

axolotl
12-12-16, 23:30
I found some white area on my alveolar mucosa beside the labial frenum on upper side of my mouth

I'm sorry, I literally have no idea what this means.

NancyW
12-12-16, 23:34
I'm sorry, I literally have no idea what this means.

Amen! That's exactly what I meant by my original post.