PDA

View Full Version : Resting heart rate in the 80s!

scared88
12-12-16, 23:13
I'm beginning to have a bit of a freak out. I decided to try some app on my phone what uses the sensors in the camera to measure you heart beat and I'm always getting it in the mid to high 80s. I worry that it might be abnormal for someone my age, 28 and a bit overweight.
My diet has been terrible in the last few days a lot of pizza and soft drinks, could that contribute or is this just a normal heart rate?

axolotl
12-12-16, 23:24
I'm sat here with my Fitbit showing a resting heart rate of 95. Room for improvement maybe but nothing to worry about.

EKB
12-12-16, 23:34
Mine has always been consistently 90 or more. When I've had reason to check.

We are humans, not robots, so don't always fall into the average. When we start measuring things that we usually don't pay much attention to, we see just how much variation there is between us, and even within us day to day, hour to hour, minute to minute. When a finding freaks us out, we get into a feedback loop of stressing and checking making something completely normal but previously unnoticed for us seem sinister.

On top of that when we use equipment that may not be optimally accurate, you get a great way to get health anxiety.

roseanxiety
13-12-16, 00:03
I'm sure you know that that is a completely normal heart rate . Nothing to worry about at all.

Worrywonka
13-12-16, 00:15
Those apps arent medical tools. So they arent very accurate. Get a blood pressure machine which reads ur heart rate also. I had tried such at app and showed my heart higher than it actually was.

Stecakes
13-12-16, 00:30
you're good anywhere between 40 to a 100.
it's only significant if you're training,
if you are you should adjust your target heart rate
in your case this would be around 115 target rate

xBettyBoopx
13-12-16, 01:09
Throw away the fitbits and uninstall your apps lol!! It's just gonna make your anxiety worse if it doesn't say what you want it to say and how many times is that gonna happen? :wacko::wacko:

Our heart rates go up and down all day and night sometimes for a reason and sometimes not but you're putting yourself in the line of fire if you use these things. They're not for anxious people :scared15::scared15:

bin tenn
13-12-16, 01:59
I'm a heart worrier and I've worried about resting rate several times. I'm still not entirely over the heart worries, but I've been doing some research on desensitization techniques lately. Anyhow, I also have a Fitbit which my uncle recommended because I only recently began taking steps to get in shape (daily exercise, improved diet, etc).

Daily activity for only a few weeks made some difference for me. Not significant - about 5-7 BPM difference in avg resting rate - but I'd recommend beginning daily exercise (start slow) and improving diet. Those things alone can make a huge difference over time.

NoraB
13-12-16, 06:21
I'm beginning to have a bit of a freak out. I decided to try some app on my phone what uses the sensors in the camera to measure you heart beat and I'm always getting it in the mid to high 80s. I worry that it might be abnormal for someone my age, 28 and a bit overweight.
My diet has been terrible in the last few days a lot of pizza and soft drinks, could that contribute or is this just a normal heart rate?

A normal resting heart rate for adults ranges from 60 to 100 beats a minute.

P.S Soft drinks are often high in sugar and contain caffeine, both of which can elevate your heart rate. You eat crap, you're going to feel crap.

---------- Post added at 06:21 ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 ----------

Also, I ended up in A&E with a doozy of a panic attack back in Feb after having a Fitbit with heart monitor for two weeks. I was still pushing that button even when I was being wheeled into the hospital.:whistles: Anxious people should be banned from having them. Some alarm should sound when they touch them in the shop.:winks:

They have also been proved to be inaccurate.

Delete that app and set thyself freeeeeeeeee.

SLA
13-12-16, 08:01
True resting heart-rate cannot be measured by just sitting down and recording the highest/lowest number you see.

Fitbits are also inaccurate, and looking at single figures won't get you your true resting heart-rate.

80 is normal.

Sparkling_Fairy
13-12-16, 12:24
When you research it, a true resting heart rate should be taken between 2 - 5 minutes after waking up. Otherwise you need to lie down for at least 10 minutes without doing anything. Sitting down isn't the same, lying down while watching TV or playing on your phone isn't the same. It has to be lying down doing absolutely nothing.
When I sit down and watch TV, mine will be in the 90's all the time. Mine is in the mid 80's when i've been lying in bed for hours. And while I'm heading towards underweight with this stupid anxiety, I'm also not a very fit person.
My aim is to get fitter and bring it down.

And how anxiety works? I desperately want to bring mine down to around 70. But when it's 76 I freak out 'cause it's lower than usual. Go figure!

Sande
16-12-16, 23:31
My resting hr is 120 plus and I'm waiting to see a heart dr but my dr did a ecg several times and had a good listen and thinks it's my anxiety because as soon as me or someone else takes my hr I almost panic he said it's white coat syndrome. But 80 is ok, it's within a normal hr range for the NHS.

AmyJane1508
17-12-16, 08:45
Sande my resting heart rate is exactly the same. I've had multiple ecg's too that have come back clear. They said mine is anxiety too. I gave the doctors quite a scare after giving birth when my heart rate went to 160. It was all stress related.