PDA

View Full Version : Child free and cancer anyone else have this fear

Weasley123
13-12-16, 12:43
I've been doing a tiny bit better with my HA. Then about old fear resurfaced. I've often read childless women have an increased risk of breast and ovarian cancer. I'm 38 soon to be 39 and no kids by choice. I'm a special ed teacher married 15 years with 5 dogs and 4 cats and never wanted kids. I'm a bit scared this dooms me to cancer I took an online ovarian cancer risk assessment and said I was at increases risk. I've no family history of ovarian cancer. I've no siblings. I have 1 aunt diagnosed with breast cancer at 50. A few of my mother's cousins had it too but no one else. I took birth control pills for 2 years but stopped when my blood pressure went from low to prevent hypertension. I don't plan to start mammogram until 50 if then bases on anxiety and research. Am I the only one with this fear

KeeKee
13-12-16, 14:10
That increased risk could be as tiny as 0.1% though so it's like saying "I eat red meat so I feel doomed to get bowel cancer". Incidentally my mother had breast cancer (successfully treated last year, touch wood) and had 3 children. I know it's hard but try not to worry about risk factors. I strongly believe if you're going to get it, you're going to get it. I worry slightly about my risk of breast cancer since my Mother had it but I have a friend who actually has it running in their family and doesn't sit and dwell on it. So why should we.

Leah88
14-12-16, 00:51
The reason "they" say having children's powers endocrine cancer risk is because of the balance in hormones from breast feeding and being pregnant but there are so manyother things that vary your estrogen too Ie. using different contraceptive pills, genetics, diet, weight and the list goes on. If you maintain a healthy weight you'll have a more balanced hormone level so I wouldn't worry about it if you live a healthy lifestyle.

Fishmanpa
14-12-16, 00:57
Ummmm... I think you're good :)

Positive thoughts

lily1
14-12-16, 12:19
I know a lady who hasn't any children and her mother had BC and she is 74 so it's not a given thing.

Weasley123
14-12-16, 12:38
Thank you all. I have a very full life despite anxiety. I'm very happy with my pets and husband. I also am very close to my students and get my maternal fix at work with my intellectually disabled student . I actually worry mire about my husband is hate the idea of being all alone if something happened to him and with no siblings or extended family I would be. That's no reason for kids though. I just hate that everywhere are these cancer risk articles.

spacebunnyx
14-12-16, 18:38
I think there is a slight risk for women who don't have children before 30 years and don't breastfeed... but the increased risk is v small. If you had had children you would have exposed to other things like a slight increased risk of clots etc.... it's all choices and there are slight risks with everything. And for most things there's no right or wrong health wise, just choices (except things like smoking...)

Enjoy your child-free life! Xxx