PDA

View Full Version : swollen lymph nodes

duke27
13-12-16, 21:23
For months now I have had swollen lymph nodes in front of my right ear, under my jaw on the right side and down both sides of my neck. I also have a hard immovable lump on my mastoid bone behind the right ear. Should I be worried? No viral infection or anything... clear bloods very worried!!! Doc quickly checked them during another appointment and said they're ok for now... had loads of weight loss recently too... had my baby 9 months ago. Petrified it's something sinister. .. I've also noticed the side on the right where the swollen glands are my throat looks slightly red and swollen at the back although no sore throat whatsoever??

ScaredLizard
13-12-16, 21:26
Do you have allergies? I ask because you know I'm going through that right now too but I remember early last year the ones in my neck swelled up because of allergy season.

duke27
13-12-16, 21:31
Not that I know of. I'm so worried.

ScaredLizard
13-12-16, 21:35
Hmmm with your throat red and such. Tonight when you go to bed and lay down? Pay attention. You might be suffering from Post Nasal drip and allergies and not even realize it. I'm sending you good thoughts and hugs as I fully understand this anxiety!

Gary A
13-12-16, 22:40
Doesn't the fact that you have clear bloodwork and a doctor telling you that they feel ok hold any weight with you? If you had cancer, especially of the lymphatic system, there would be markets of it in your blood.

Some people just have glands that are bigger than others. If they don't feel alarming to a doctor, who is trained to know what a suspicious lump feels like, then why would it feel alarming to you?

Stecakes
13-12-16, 23:10
Gary a. is right to a degree, there's a fair chance bloods would have picked up ca125 makers
this sounds like classic acid reflux to me. red throat swollen node. also you're more prone
post pregnancy. I'd be amazed if your gp didn't mention acid reflux
do you smoke, eat late in the evening or eat junk food frequently?
these can all cause acid reflux. hope this helps

NancyW
14-12-16, 01:30
this sounds like classic acid reflux to me. red throat swollen node.

Does acid reflux cause swollen lymph nodes ?

Fishmanpa
14-12-16, 02:54
Doc quickly checked them during another appointment and said they're ok for now... :shades:

What we perceive and what is reality are many times two different things due to anxiety disorder.

Positive thoughts

Stecakes
14-12-16, 09:22
yes acid reflux and gerd can caused raise lymph node

duke27
14-12-16, 10:59
The swollen throat is only on the right side so surely that wouldmt be acid reflux? I do notice I occasionally have a postnasal drip too. I have noticed I've got very bad acid reflux recently. Not the burping it up type but the constant burning feeling? Didn't know acid could cause swollen lymph nodes. That's made me feel a bit happier that they said clear bloods ans that would show something up? I've got low blood pressure and lost huge amounts or weight. I have no energy so fine I just eat junk ��

Stecakes
14-12-16, 11:13
swollen nodes almost always effect one side more
my left one has been up for ages, doctor said it might never
go back down. I have quite bad acid reflux, I don't feel indigestion either
I think it's called silent reflux
bloods aren't a guarantee, but if you was at a stage where it's
causing weight loss, it's likely there would be markers in blood
how much weight have you lost ?anxiety can cause significant weight loss too

duke27
14-12-16, 11:48
I had my baby 9 months ago and am still breastfeeding but not anymore and before I was pregnant I weighed about 10St 5lbs then went to about 11St 5lbs and now 9 months after pregnancy I'm at 8st 5lbs... so scared!!!

Gary A
14-12-16, 11:59
I had my baby 9 months ago and am still breastfeeding but not anymore and before I was pregnant I weighed about 10St 5lbs then went to about 11St 5lbs and now 9 months after pregnancy I'm at 8st 5lbs... so scared!!!

Losing weight after having a baby is supposed to happen, obviously. If you feel you've lost more weight than you should have, ask yourself if you've been eating the same as before. Are you getting enough sleep? Does your daily routine since you've had your baby still consist of enough rest and eating regular meals?

In that period, unfortunately, few mothers do have the time to eat and sleep properly. Perhaps a combination of anxiety, exhaustion and poor nutrition are what's causing this weight loss? Isn't that far more likely to be the case than any sinister reason?

You have to stop repeating that you're "so scared" as well. We get that you're scared. If you keep repeating it you're just slamming the door in the face of being rational. You need to slow down and really try to think about this.

Catherine S
14-12-16, 12:24
Also, breastfeeding itself causes weight loss, this usually makes new mums very happy! And as Gary said, it can be in combination with anxiety. Anxious people have a faster metabolism and burn energy much quicker. This was my experience in the past.

This is your first baby and only 9 months old, do you not still have contact with a health visitor who can put your mind at ease? No other new mums you know from baby clinic visits etc, to get together with? There must be someone you can talk to who isn't online like this, if you can't go to them, maybe invite them to visit you instead.

When I had my youngest daughter, a small group of 5 of us got together once a week taking in turns meeting in each others houses. It was a lifeline. I wasn't a first time mum but I had HA and had suffered through the pregnancy quite alot with it. My daughter was also a crying baby and I was exhausted. There was no social media then, and that circle of mums made such a difference.

Perhaps instead of an anxiety forum why not join mumsnet or similar, they chat online about everything, including health anxiety.
ISB x

Stecakes
14-12-16, 12:27
I completely agree with (Gary a ") on this,
also you'd expect a more dramatic loss of weight from advanced stage cancer.
and unless you're 7ft tall , 8stone 5 is not a worrying weight to be at for a female
look at the evidence. this doesn't point to cancer

duke27
14-12-16, 19:21
Thanks everyone.

I really struggle with meeting up with people because I get very dizzy and end up having massive anoxety attacks as I feel I would collapse. The dizziness I have is my main concern to be honest. It really is dibiataging.

Fishmanpa
14-12-16, 20:09
Of course, the elephant in the room is your domestic situation which IMO, is the root and continued catalyst for your symptoms.

Positive thoughts

duke27
14-12-16, 21:16
I know this is probably the case but it's hard to accept.

Catherine S
14-12-16, 21:17
Can you not get in touch with your health visitor? I know they are mostly concerned with the baby's health, but your baby is still only 9 months old so they will also be happy to have a chat about your health too. Take care.

ISB x

Fishmanpa
14-12-16, 21:38
I know this is probably the case but it's hard to accept.

In a previous thread you posted this...

He was really lovely at the beginning, in all honesty he made me so happy I got over my health anxiety issues and was so happy. Then about a year into the relationship issues started to arise (4 years been together). So for about 3 years this has been getting worse and worse. My parents have never done anything to hurt him nor has my sister. It's so confusing because they would make so much of an effort with him and we're always so lovely to him even when they knew what was going on. Now, it's all changed because he's over stepped the mark by trying to stop me from going to my sister's wedding and now various things have been put on social networking sites etc. So I'm getting pressures from everyone really including some nasty messages from his family. So I feel very alone.

He doesn't have a problem with the meds because of the side effects it's strange he doesn't give me a reason but says he doesn't care about the side effects. I also think the reason he doesn't want me to have counselling us so I don't talk about our situation to anyone. I often have to do things in secret like seeing family while he's at work and going to appointments etc. Although now I've become agoraphobic due to my symptoms and fear going out without him. Bad situation really.

I feel a lot of anger and resentment towards him, but I just can't fall out of love with him even though sometimes he can be vile to me. I feel a lot of resentment to his family too as they often see our baby and my family don't get too. They are also rude to me at times ans I feel very anxious and low around them.

If I fought against him he gives me silent treatment, calls me names and makes my life hell. He's never violent and I don't think he would be. He sometimes goes into depression mode and says to me he doesn't feel like living anymore. This is us ally if I say I want to leave etc. I feel fearful of standing up to him because he makes me feel very alone and at the moment where I'm scared to go out, drive etc because of how unwell I feel with the dizziness etc it's really horrible because he is my only support person really and he takes that away from me if I stand up to him. If that makes sense. I live on egg shells basically and (when I was confident with driving) I have to race back to get back for him when he returns from work and ensure I haven't left any evidence etc. Sounds so silly and people on the outside can see a clear answer of why to do... it's hard when it's you going through it x

Respectfully, you're being treated like a kidnapped prisoner. The level of emotional abuse is mind boggling! What's hard for me to accept is that you're allowing this "person" (I won't say "man" because a real "man" wouldn't treat his partner that way IMO) to treat you this way. I just hope you find the inner fortitude to take back your life. I also believe in doing so, you'll solve many of the physical symptoms you're experiencing.

Positive thoughts

Catherine S
14-12-16, 23:51
Oh wow. I didn't know any of that and I do try to read the back threads before I post replies. This situation throws a new light on all of the anxiety issues. I agree that you need to get help with your personal situation Duke, because until then, your mental state won't be eased and will go on contributing to the physical symptoms of anxiety and possible depression.

There is a Crisis helpline number you can call anytime. It's not like the Samaritans, it's a family helpline because I called it one time when my daughter was a baby and I had post natal depression and they were brilliant. Their card was automatically put into the new baby packs for all mums to be, I don't know if they still do that, but i've recently seen their number online so they're still there to help.

Cath x