PDA

View Full Version : Hiatus Hernia

Cymraes
27-10-03, 21:15
Hi
the doctor thinks I may have a hiatus hernia and I was too scared to ask him what it is , although I know it is because of too much acid in my stomach. I'm going for some tests just to check everything is ok.

Has anyone else suffered with this problem?

Julie

Julie

Meg
27-10-03, 22:19
Dear Julie,

These doctors are the biter end. Hope this helps.

A hiatus hernia occurs when the upper part of the stomach, which is joined to the oesophagus (gullet), moves up into the chest through the hole (called a hiatus) in the diaphragm. It is common and occurs in about 10 per cent of people.

Most people are not troubled by their hiatus hernia, but if reflux of the acid contents of the stomach occurs (called gastro-oesophageal reflux), you get heartburn. This is a painful burning sensation in the chest, which can sometimes be felt in the throat. Sudden regurgitation of acid fluid into the mouth can occur, especially when you lie down or bend forward. These symptoms are a problem when you go to bed and can wake you up. Other symptoms include belching, pain on swallowing hot fluids and a feeling of food sticking in the oesophagus.
Self-help

Keep to your ideal weight.
Avoid stooping.
Avoid smoking.
Reduce alcohol and coffee.
Avoid tight corsets.
Adjust your bed.
Take antacid.
Have small meals.
Avoid spicy food.
Avoid hot drinks.
Avoid having supper.
Avoid gassy drinks.
Losing weight nearly always helps it. Eating small meals each day instead of 2 or 3 large ones helps. You should have a light evening meal without alcohol and avoid supper so that your stomach is empty on retiring. It takes about 1 hour for the stomach to empty.

Smoking certainly aggravates it, as do coffee and alcohol, especially spirits. If symptoms occur at night, you are advised to use extra pillows to prop up you head and shoulders. If this fails, you should raise the head of your bed about 10 cm (4 inches) to prevent acid reflux at night.

If over-the-counter antacids and other measures do not help, your doctor may prescribe a special mixture or tablets to reduce reflux. If your problem persists, an operation (which has good results) may be necessary.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

benoo5
27-10-03, 22:48
hya cymraes,
from wot little i know of this,

the tummy needs acid to digest food,when we bend forward the tummy often moves upward,and spills acid upwards into the gullet(oesophagus),causing an acidity pain,or heartburn,which can be very uncomfortable...i would get this quite often,when married,as my ex wife is asian,and often cooked spicy meals...i would take an antacid,which a pharmacist friend would mix for me...there is a lady on this site called radar(meg),she is a registered nurse,and ime sure she will be able to advise you.

by the way,where does the name cymraes come from,ime asking because ime welsh,and it sounds familiar..best wishes..bryan

benoo5
27-10-03, 22:52
sorry meg,didnt see you overtaking me at the post lol...bryan

Meg
27-10-03, 23:27
Hi Bryan,

You were busy on your previous post I think. Rugby took priority. LOL

It's great that our thoughts and advice matched though !

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
01-11-03, 22:07
Hi

I get a lot of stomach problems and they told me it could be a hernia. The pain is bad isn't it. I get prescribed Losec and this is amazing (I think Radar will agree). It eases the pain in less than 2 days!

I also take Alka-Seltzer and that cures the pain instantly.

Nicola