PDA

View Full Version : DVT/PE Fear (Phlebitis?) :(

JayHops93
14-12-16, 12:14
Hey all.

I've been getting pain in my left calf for the last three months, which has recently spread to an ache behind my knee. Been to the doc twice, at first he thought it was a calf strain, but on second inspection he thinks its Phlebitis (if thats how its spelt) which from what he said is an inflamed vein.

Although actually getting a diagnosis was nice, I'm really worried that he's got it wrong, and that it is DVT. I've been on a lot of long journeys this year, and the pain actually started after an 11 hour flight. Of course, by being scared of it being a DVT, im in constant panic about developing a PE. My anxiety is making me convince myself im short of breath etc.

The pain is low grade and is quite infrequent. Even though the vein aches and is protruding a bit, there is no redness or swelling.

I was wondering whether anyone else had some experience in this area? Have any of you had phlebitis or DVT (or even PE)? Can anyone make sense of my symptoms?

Thanks!

Kuatir
14-12-16, 13:15
DVT needs urgent attention. Phlebitis not so much. It's been going on for 3 months...
What are you doing to treat the issue? Work on that and go back to the doctor if you need to.

JayHops93
14-12-16, 14:39
DVT needs urgent attention. Phlebitis not so much. It's been going on for 3 months...
What are you doing to treat the issue? Work on that and go back to the doctor if you need to.

After the doc said it was phlebitis yesterday, he prescribed some anti-inflammatory gel, so going to use that twice a day and see what happens. Just feel so awful right now though, all this anxiety is making my chest feel tighter and I'm just trying not convince myself that I have a PE :(

Kuatir
14-12-16, 15:15
If you had a PE you certainly wouldn't be on the forum!

There are some other suggestions that might help:

- raise the leg to help reduce swelling
- wear compression stockings to help reduce swelling
- keep active, to keep the blood circulating
- press a cold flannel over the vein to ease any pain

JayHops93
14-12-16, 15:48
If you had a PE you certainly wouldn't be on the forum!

There are some other suggestions that might help:

- raise the leg to help reduce swelling
- wear compression stockings to help reduce swelling
- keep active, to keep the blood circulating
- press a cold flannel over the vein to ease any pain

Thanks, i'll give some of those a go!

BikerMatt
14-12-16, 22:59
Best thing is definitely keeping your leg raised when resting but keeping active to aid circulation. I had phlebitis almost exactly a year to the day. It started with a severe pain and a little red mark exactly on a little varicose vein I have. Do you have any varicose veins? as that's normally how it starts.

JayHops93
14-12-16, 23:10
Best thing is definitely keeping your leg raised when resting but keeping active to aid circulation. I had phlebitis almost exactly a year to the day. It started with a severe pain and a little red mark exactly on a little varicose vein I have. Do you have any varicose veins? as that's normally how it starts.

Will keep that in mind! No i dont have any varicose veins, the doc himself said that.

I went for a run today to ease my fears, and whilst I could do it (slowly) my leg has been in a lot more pain since. I'm worrying about what that could mean :weep:

BikerMatt
14-12-16, 23:17
Will keep that in mind! No i dont have any varicose veins, the doc himself said that.

I went for a run today to ease my fears, and whilst I could do it (slowly) my leg has been in a lot more pain since. I'm worrying about what that could mean :weep:

I'm pretty sure if it was something serious you wouldn't be able to go for a slow run.:)