PDA

View Full Version : Biopsy.

zippy
15-12-16, 13:39
Been for my cystoscopy this morning and he's sending me for a ct scan and a bladder biopsy. This is all my nightmares come true. He said women have bumps/lumps in their bladder and mine looked bigger and inflammed so he has to look into it. I told him i had health anxiety and he said he's 99% sure it's not cancer. He said it could be from the food poisoning i had 3 months ago, hormonal or just that's normal for me. I am going to worry all over xmas now :weep:

Fishmanpa
15-12-16, 14:19
I know your mind won't allow it but try and think of how positive 99% means. He's just doing his due diligence as a doctor. If he fobbed you off you would still be doubting so at least you'll get a definitive "ALL CLEAR" soon.

Positive thoughts

Kaede
15-12-16, 14:27
I know it's hard not to worry, but the 99% chance sounds very hood to me. I think that the 1% might just be the doctor protecting his back. He can't give you a 100% guarantee without a test.

But worrying about that 1% might as well be like worrying about getting hit by a cae when crossing the road.

Enjoy Christmas and don't let this ruin it for you. I know it's easier said than done, but it's not like worrying is gonna change anything.

Leslie735
15-12-16, 15:05
I went through this recently with a breast biopsy. My doctor and the radiologist both were 99% sure the lump I felt was benign but set me up for a biopsy to be safe and to ease my mind. I had the biopsy right before Thanksgiving. So I was freaking out over the Thanksgiving holiday/weekend. It came back benign! They were right and I should've believed them. *hugs* I'll be praying for you!

SLA
15-12-16, 15:07
If you were betting all of your money, would you put it on the 99% or the 1%?

Is your mental health worth more than money?

Which means...

zippy
15-12-16, 18:12
You can't help the way you think SLA.

Stecakes
15-12-16, 18:16
a doctor giving 99% odds is as good as it could get.
the 1% is just arse covering, but to give them odds I'd say he knows you're all good

Sparkling_Fairy
15-12-16, 19:11
My GP always says: we can be 99% sure but usually send for further tests to be that 100% sure. However if I genuinely think it's something, I would honestly tell you.

99% sure in doctor's terms, is sure. They just need to on paper be 100% sure.

zippy
15-12-16, 19:13
The urologist did say if he thought it looked sinister he would be honest with me.

SLA
15-12-16, 21:18
You can't help the way you think SLA.

And that is precisely what is holding you back.

Because you can.

zippy
15-12-16, 21:22
How because I am already on medication and CBT didn't work?

SLA
15-12-16, 21:25
Medication and CBT don't change the way you think.

zippy
15-12-16, 21:50
How can I not think the worst when I feel ill there's blood in my urine and now have to have a biopsy of lumps in my bladder?

SLA
15-12-16, 21:53
Its up to you. I don't have time to convince everyone they shouldn't be worrying.

You've been told its 99% not cancer.

You are betting your mental health on the 1% that it is. Does that seem slightly.... silly?

Sparkling_Fairy
15-12-16, 22:03
I think the point is, that you can't change how your body feels. I'm currently dealing with a lot of anxiety, and my body isn't willing to calm down.
But I know it's anxiety, and I don't believe it's anything sinister. If it is, I'm sure it'll make itself known in an obvious way.

You can choose to live in the 1% fear and basically have cancer for the next couple of days, because you already believe you have it. Or you can not worry about it, until you are told you have it (and you've already been told with 99% certainty you don't).

I chose to look at it this way: there are people who are very sick with an actual illness. They suffer, they are worried, and they feel sick for actual physical reasons.
I don't want to spend the rest of my life, worrying over something that isn't there. I know I don't have an illness currently, I have anxiety. Yes some days it wants to take over. But if I do get an actual illness one day, I don't want to have lived my life before that worrying about something that wasn't there. I want to live my life the way I want, and if that's alongside the occasional anxiety it's welcome to come along for the ride.

Just don't let it take over. Don't live in constant fear that you have something, as long as that's not confirmed. I get this is an actual physical thing. But I also get your doctor isn't worried. And the choice about what you want to believe, is yours!

zippy
15-12-16, 22:12
Thanks sparkling fairy. I appreciate everyone's replies.

Sparkling_Fairy
15-12-16, 22:23
Thanks sparkling fairy. I appreciate everyone's replies.

I know it's not easy. You're not going to change your thinking from one day to the other.
But if you can even understand the purpose of it, you may get there one day.

SLA
15-12-16, 22:24
Just so you know, I never purposefully try and be a d**k, but I am aware I sometimes come across like that. Thats my problem.

I'm not trying to trivialise your feelings. I've been there, and know how it feels.

Sometimes we need shaking up though....

Imagine you were on a game show and you had already won £50 grand.

The host says, "you can take that now, or you can risk it on the toss of this coin for.....

"dada....... £51 grand!!!!!"

You would think.... hang on.... am I willing to go through hell for an extra grand???

Of course not. Someone... A DOCTOR!!!! has said it is 99% not cancer.

And you are putting your happiness and wellbeing on the line for that 1%....

I love you, I am sure you are an awesome person, but just look at the numbers.

zippy
15-12-16, 22:27
I know That's what I need SLA a good shaking lol x

zippy
16-12-16, 16:33
Just phoned my drs about bloods i had done on wednesday and they were all fine. Full blood count, liver, kidneys, inflamation, thyroid all ok.

Leslie735
16-12-16, 16:36
Just phoned my drs about bloods i had done on wednesday and they were all fine. Full blood count, liver, kidneys, inflamation, thyroid all ok.

:yesyes::yesyes:

Fishmanpa
16-12-16, 16:43

Great to hear and a well deserved "TOLD YA SO!" :D

Positive thoughts