PDA

View Full Version : My Daughter

Fishmanpa
16-12-16, 17:52
So today my wife and I travel up to East Stroudsburg, PA as my daughter will graduate college tomorrow. The pride I feel as a father I cannot put into words. She will graduate with a degree in education and pursue her passion for teaching young children. She wants to teach kindergarten or 1st grade.

Many of you know that my daughter suffers from anxiety and depression. She was pretty bad off and even suicidal at one time. As a 21st birthday present, I took her to get her first tattoo. It's the suicide semi colon with wings that she had put on her inner wrist to remind her to always keep going. My graduation present will be another piece of art she wants on her shoulder.

The point of this post is to say you can recover. She was around 18 when she came to me and told me what was going on. It got so bad that she took a semester off of school while getting treatment. Myself and her mother made sure she got help. With meds and therapy she's made tremendous progress. It's not been easy and she's had some setbacks but she persevered and tomorrow will be a testament to her determination and tenacity.

It still comes down to taking the steps to do so. Talking and acting are two different things. I hope this inpsires some to take the anxiety bull by the horns and do something to help yourself. You can recover and live life to the fullest!

Positive thoughts

SLA
16-12-16, 17:56
Wonderful story FMP. A nice start to the weekend.

All the best to you and the family.

pulisa
16-12-16, 18:11
I hope you and Marcia have a wonderful day tomorrow as you celebrate your daughter's graduation.

emmegee
16-12-16, 21:06
Great story. It's wonderful that she has chosen a career with children... She will be so empathetic to the many who suffer from anxiety. I am an educator too and can attest to the great number of kids today suffering from anxiety. Enjoy your trip and congrats to your family.

brucealmighty
16-12-16, 21:17
have a great day, its inspiring to read your words most days they really help me, but to hear how well your daughter has done is something else.
will be thinking of you all

Catherine S
16-12-16, 22:01
Many Congratulations to your daughter on achieving her goals and dreams Mark

Have a great weekend.:D
Cath x

Magic
16-12-16, 22:27
Hope you had a great day Fishman. You must be so proud. All the best xxx

NoraB
17-12-16, 07:52
So today my wife and I travel up to East Stroudsburg, PA as my daughter will graduate college tomorrow. The pride I feel as a father I cannot put into words. She will graduate with a degree in education and pursue her passion for teaching young children. She wants to teach kindergarten or 1st grade.

Many of you know that my daughter suffers from anxiety and depression. She was pretty bad off and even suicidal at one time. As a 21st birthday present, I took her to get her first tattoo. It's the suicide semi colon with wings that she had put on her inner wrist to remind her to always keep going. My graduation present will be another piece of art she wants on her shoulder.

The point of this post of to say you can recover. She was around 18 when she came to me and told me what was going on. It got so bad that she took a semester off of school while getting treatment. Myself and her mother made sure she got help. With meds and therapy she's made tremendous progress. It's not been easy and she's had some setbacks but she persevered and tomorrow will be a testament to her determination and tenacity.

It still comes down to taking the steps to do so. Talking and acting are two different things. I hope this inpsires some to take the anxiety bull by the horns and do something to help yourself. You can recover and live life to the fullest!

Positive thoughts

Congratulations to your daughter and I hope you all have a great weekend.:)

Primula
17-12-16, 12:59
That's lovely news. :yesyes:

swgrl09
17-12-16, 13:01
Congratulations!! She sounds like an inspiration. I am really happy Marcia got to be there for this as well.

KeeKee
17-12-16, 14:10
You should feel proud as mo doubt you played a part in her success. Enjoy the graduation.

almamatters
17-12-16, 16:27
Congratulations, hope you all have a lovely day. :)

Catherine S
17-12-16, 17:55
Lovely pic Magic by the way. Will miss the tree, but really good to see you :)

ISB x

ServerError
18-12-16, 12:24
Brilliant stuff!

I hope this story hits home with those who are struggling. Look at what can be achieved. :)

Fishmanpa
18-12-16, 16:55
Thanks everyone. It was wonderful :) We got hit with a winter storm yesterday morning but still made it with time to spare. Lots of pics and hugs and a few tears of joy. I would have liked to hung around and gone out to eat but Marcia was pretty out of it from her meds so we just came home. Besides, it's a 4-5 hour drive and I wanted to do it during daylight hours and take my time.

As Server said... I hope others can be inspired to take the steps to treat their illness. You can overcome and learn to cope and by doing so you can realize your dreams and goals.

Positive thoughts

jules321
21-12-16, 05:48
Hi fishmanpa -
I recognize you from AZ. Thank you for sharing this wonderful and inspiring story. Congratulations to your daughter for her strength and to you and your wife as parents. What touched me most about your story was the meaning of her first tattoo... and that you all are real about it. So many people brush a mental illness or past suicidal attempt under the rug. Bravo for not only not doing that but for allowing and embracing her need to use that struggle as a power symbol to keep pushing forward. No shame. Wonderful.

Traceypo
21-12-16, 09:34
Congratulations to your daughter, she is an inspiration. So pleased you both got to share this special day with her.