PDA

View Full Version : Afraid about rabies

windblast942
17-12-16, 02:20
Hi all

I have been just back from a trip to ha long bay, near Hanoi Vietnam.

Upon returning to my country I noticed 2 small wounds near my lower calf, spaced about 2-3mm apart. I am worried that it is a potential bat bite and that I may have rabies.

I did some trekking, rock climbing and cycling during the time I was there. I did not recall contact with any bats per se, but I was afraid that I might be bitten and have not felt it during the course of my outdoor activities. My activities are done only in the day, and I sleep in hotels and boats at night.

Is mine a valid concern?

ScaredLizard
17-12-16, 06:33
Likely its bug bites. I went through the rabies terror last year. Months after the anxiety I did end up getting the rabies vaccination series (days 0,3,7,14) due to.a bat in the house while we slept.

Please see the dr, not because of the rabies concern but because you should make sure the spots don't get infected. While there you can mention your concern and go from there. BUT to comfort you, most of the times when bats bite they do NOT leave a mark because their teeth are like insanely sharp and small needles.

windblast942
18-12-16, 08:59
Thanks for your reply; i know I may be paranoid but I am kinda worried.

Could anyone help me verify the bite. Here's a photo of it:

i67.tinypic.com/scxul3.jpg

Thanks once again!

windblast942
27-12-16, 04:48
Help anyone? Thanks a lot!

Fishmanpa
27-12-16, 05:28
Is mine a valid concern?

While no one here is a bat expert and could verify from an image, IMO, frankly no. I just can't equate this to a bat biting you much less a "rabid" bat biting you without you noticing it. It could be anything from a bug to thorns that caused that but a rouge rabid stealth biting bat?... Nope!

Positive thoughts

Hypomean
27-12-16, 11:59
No.

Have you been around bats?
I used to and let me tell the are noisy. If it's not their high pitch noise it's their wings. You would either hear them before they reach you or feel them if they were on you.

windblast942
03-01-17, 15:55
Thanks for all the replies! I feel much better now