PDA

View Full Version : New on here any advice out there about health anxiety?

Bartyboy
17-12-16, 14:00
Hi, I have been suffering with anxiety and dep for over 3 years now and I'm tired. I have many different worries but my main fear is a fear of having a heart attack. I have had 2 rounds of CBT that haven't worked and the medication I was given actually made me worse. My question is I am overweight and want to start exercising but as you can imagine I am scared that if I do start it will cause a heart attack as I'm so unfit. On the other hand I know that no exercise is bad for me to. Any advice on how to get out of this circle? I have also PTSD as my anxiety worries came when my husband had heart failure and I had to do CPR to keep him alive. Although he had a heart condition that was undiagnosed I am still convinced it will happen to me as it was so sudden and unexpected. I say new to site as I don't think I ever posted before.

AnxietySuckss
17-12-16, 14:46
Wow sorry to hear what happened to your husband.

I'm not overweight (although mah belleh is gettin' in size!!) so I can't sympathize with you there, but I am unfit and I do worry about the same thing happening to me. Right now I feel wheezy too so that doesn't help my cause! But hey, losing weight doesn't happen overnight. Best thing to do would be to start with low-intensity stuff like walking then when you feel comfortable start brisk walking, and keep moving your way up until you're able to run comfortably!

I AM NOT a medical professional or anything close to a fitness trainer so take what I say with a grain of salt. Just food for thought. Person to person!

EKB
17-12-16, 15:29
My question is I am overweight and want to start exercising but as you can imagine I am scared that if I do start it will cause a heart attack as I'm so unfit. On the other hand I know that no exercise is bad for me to. Any advice on how to get out of this circle?

You could also consult with your GP about starting to exercise. They will be able to point you to many resources for people who are starting a new exercise regime so that you know how far you should push yourself and when you're overdoing it. I'm sure they will be happy to help you, especially since you are actually wanting to get healthier. :yesyes:

Maybe even talk to your GP about your anxiety, so you can discuss the sensations you might experience when you're exercising and what you should and shouldn't worry about.

Good luck!

Bartyboy
17-12-16, 15:56
Thanks, I am going to get out and walk, I am still in the think about it stage and not actually brave enough yet to get out there. I suppose half a story doesn't help, as I said I have lots of worries. My anxiety is a constant, if one thing doesn't bother me something else does. I fear everything. My health is just the worst but I also fear people and being alone all due to the heart issue as I won't join groups for fear of embarrassment if something went wrong and I don't want to go out alone in case something happens.i guess that something is going to have to give. I just don't know what. Apparently I see everything in a catastrophic way. I went to my gp about the exercise and he checked my bp and heart then just said you will be fine to start. Like you said I need a program to work to.

Kathryn313
17-12-16, 22:29
Have you looked into EDMR therapy for PTSD. It is getting some very good feedback over the last few years regarding it's effectiveness.

Walking will definately be a helpful start.

Bartyboy
18-12-16, 08:00
Thanks, I haven't heard of this, I will have a look. Thankyou.