PDA

View Full Version : rocd depressed

TomsThoughts
18-12-16, 11:17
Really need some help.

I've been in a relationship with my amazing girlfriend for about 4 and a half years now we have planned our whole lives together. The love I have for her is more than I could ever imagine. there is no doubt she Is the one for me in a rational mind.

I was diagnosed with anxiety about a year and a half ago. More recently I have been showing signs of OCD.

The OCD is now targeting my relationship everything I do is questioned I can't even look at her without having feelings of doubt and thinking I will never be able to love again.

My main worry is that my OCD will never let me feel love for her and that I would fall out of love, it's been going on for about a month now where I haven't been able to break free and feel emotion. I'm feeling very depressed and with no energy I'm finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning and it's hard to sleep at night my life is falling apart I'm scared I won't be able to live without her because I really don't think I will. I am in the waiting list for Cbt, I have had Cbt for this not long ago and it seems to help me, I'm worried it won't this time.

Bike Rider
18-12-16, 11:27
Make sure you tell your girlfriend about this so that she knows what is going on and can help you through it.

Next, see your G.P. and ask for something to calm you down.

Good luck.

TomsThoughts
18-12-16, 11:30
Thank you

SLA
18-12-16, 11:40
Make sure you tell your girlfriend about this so that she knows what is going on and can help you through it.

Next, see your G.P. and ask for something to calm you down.

Good luck.

Hmm.. I kind of disagree.

First of all the thoughts you are experiencing are nothing out of the ordinary. People have doubts all the time, but for you, you say...

there is no doubt she Is the one for me in a rational mind.

So that is awesome!

What you label as your "OCD" is just intrusive thoughts in my opinion. I say this, because I used to think it was OCD to, but its just persistant intrusive thoughts.

You have started to see your "OCD" thoughts as a potential threat to your happiness and relationships.

That is actually a positive. Why?

Because your relationship is WORTH SOMETHING TO YOU.

You've worried that these intrusive thoughts might ruin things for you. Which gives them power and weight. And when you do that, they will resurface time after time....

The best option isn't to tell her, or get drugs.

It is to realise that these thoughts have no power or weight, and that they are not your thoughts. Just your stressed subconscious firing out fears...

Don't identify with them. You know you want this relationship to continue, and you will make it happen.

Start to notice these thoughts, label them as intrusive and not yours, and start moving on.

I wrote an article on my experiences with intrusive thoughts, and its in my signature. I had, and occasionally still get them on a wide variety of topics.

Best of luck.

Jason

TomsThoughts
18-12-16, 11:59
Thank you, I have already told her about how it's affecting me she understands and reassures me she's supportive towards it. I told her a while ago around the time it started to feel relentless. I appreciate you helping me it has shown I can feel better and that with more help can continue to help me get through this and accept instead of challenge because we all know we fight a losing battle.

viking111
18-12-16, 13:03
OCD attacks your deepest fears, in this case, it is about your relationship. Even I've had thoughts like these but you need to understand that it is just thoughts and OCD picks your worst fears. Once you get thoughts like these, just let them be and remember that everything will be okay.

Jpc7777
18-12-16, 13:22
Hi,

I think Jason has offered you great advice.

The intrusive thoughts we get grab our attention because they deal with issues that are very close to our heart. That's what makes them so powerful and so difficult to not engage with.

I have found with my violent intrusive thoughts which used to be incredibly terrifying, that doing absolutely nothing about them eventually leads to a huge reduction in their occurrence.

And I mean doing NOTHING, don't engage with them, judge them, argue with or try to rationalise them. Don't avoid, deny, distract or offer other explanations for them. Simply do nothing!

Our brains are wired to attend to things we view as import ant and especially to things that threaten us. By doing nothing the brain will eventually move it's attention elsewhere and the frequency of thoughts will decrease.

You can only give these thoughts power by engaging with them. Next time one comes up, accept its there, understand that it is not reflective of how you really feel and let it move on by doing nothing with it.

I wish you luck with this. I know how hard and scary it Is. But, it is possible to overcome your anxieties and reduce the occurrence of these thoughts to the point where you live a happy and normal life. I overcame the most horrendous thoughts and nowadays I barely bat an eyelid if I have one. They lost their power.

Take care,

JP