PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazapine - 1 tablet and I am done

ncfcfan85
18-12-16, 12:44
Anyone who has seen me post on here knows I have been struggling with awful fatigue for many years. I still am.

After trying many anti-depressants from 2011 onwards, I was on Sertraline from August 2015 to October this year when I stopped, rather suddenly. I decided I didn't want to be putting these chemicals in my body anymore and wanted to do see how I would get on without them.

As it turns out, whilst I didn't feel great on the Sertraline, I felt bad in different ways whilst being on nothing at all. I decided to go to my GP on Friday and explain my feelings, which were that I was completely fed up with my life and no longer wanted to be here. She gave me Mirtazapine - I took my first tablet last night and I have to say, never again - and it annoys me when people say "Oh one tablet wouldn't have done that!" - to those people, I invite them to walk in my shoes this morning - I can barely move my arms or legs and my head is pounding and, of course, I feel absolutely exhausted.

This is surely not a normal side-effect after taking one tablet, so am I right to think that I shouldn't take anymore and should just go back to my GP this week and talk to her again? I don't want to feel low and fatigued, but I definitely don't want to feel borderline paralysed!! I can't function properly most of the time, well today I can't function at all!

Any advice? Do you think I should stop?

Thanks

Mark13
23-12-16, 15:40
I've been on mirt since 2007 so maybe my start up recollection is a bit hazy...

But I ceratainly remember being "wiped out" for a few days before my system got used to the drug.

At the time my insomnia was so bad I didn't care that I was almost bedridden after the first dose. It certainly settled down over a short period.

But having tried many drugs alongside it over the years (currently trazodone) I tend to take a few days off work to deal with any side effects.

Personally I'd bear with it for a few days to see of you adjust, but you know your own body, so the decision, ultimately, has to be yours of course.

Hope it works out for you.

Mark

---------------------
Just noticed this post is a few days old. How did you get on?

hanshan
24-12-16, 04:01
Feeling exhausted after first taking mirtazapine is quite common. Mirtazapine initially has a strong antihistamine effect, so if you are sensitive to antihistamines, it will be something similar (plus some extra serotonin effect for good measure).

Fortunately, tolerance to the antihistamine effect of mirtazapine builds quite quickly, though it may take a few days. It's best to persist through this time, though starting right before Christmas may not be the best time if you have a lot of activities planned. Good luck.

Gettingbetternow
16-01-17, 09:29
I too was prescribed this drug and oh my god never again. One 15mg tablet floored me and I felt so ill. I slept for almost 48 hours was sick and dizzy in my lucid moments and decided it wasn't my type of tablet. If it works for others then fair enough but I will never take that tablet again!!!!

littlepinkcat
10-07-17, 22:11
i have started mirtazapine 15mg at night and 40 mg citalopram during the day.
I have been on Citalopram 40 mg for around 4 years and have been on the Mirtazapine,around a week.

Well I sleep like a baby on the mirtazapine and low and behold my anxiety that i have tried to control for a life time has literally just vanished, my house could burn down with me in it and I'd thnk it was warm and cosy. Downside: I'm a bit numb emotionally (i don't mind it too much) and i feel like a zombie during the day, this will probs subside shortly. I have 9 weeks off work on the sick so I can get used to the Zmbie feeling, my occupational health department at work have a mental health nurse and she wrote to my doctor and asked him to prescribe this as i was under weight, not sleeping and high anxiety, the nurse also signed me off with full pay and guarantee of job security so i can get used to side effects. I am hoping the drowsiness during the day goes away or work will recommend i come off them and to be honest you would have to pin me down and wrestle me to the ground to hand these tablets over as I have been plagued with anxiety my whole life and I would rather be a zombie then stressed out, they have been a god send for anxiety and sleep and i've also put weight on too. That nurse at work she know's her stuff. She said "you will be drowsy for a while, sometimes up to a month or more,so have 9 weeks off and if you need more just let me know" she is reviewing me in two days time, good nurse she is.