PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have a serious fear of blood tests? NOT the needle

crystal17
18-12-16, 16:21
Hi, as title says I wondered if I'm alone in this. I need to have blood tests and have got myself in a right state about them. Last I had any was about 15 months ago just before an operation, but they were part of the pre-op so they didn't test for everything the way a GP would.

My GP has been asking me to have some since September, so much so that I've changed GP's to avoid seeing him! I don't know why I can't get past this mental block - actually I do, it's sheer terror about the results.

I actually like having the test done (weirdo) and have no problems with needles, it's those damn results. And now I am 99% sure there's a few things wrong with me so should have them even more but can't face it. I've booked the tests 3 times and cancelled the day before, it makes me feel physically sick.

Everyone I know thinks I'm pathetic, they just say "Oh just go and get them done, it's no big deal!" and "Well it's better to know if there's something wrong with you". I wish I could see it like that.

Stecakes
18-12-16, 18:42
I don't think changing doctors to avoid blood tests is a good idea.
is it not better to have them done and worry a couple of days, than avoid it and worry
about your symptoms indefinitely ?

almamatters
18-12-16, 19:08
Hi, as title says I wondered if I'm alone in this. I need to have blood tests and have got myself in a right state about them. Last I had any was about 15 months ago just before an operation, but they were part of the pre-op so they didn't test for everything the way a GP would.

My GP has been asking me to have some since September, so much so that I've changed GP's to avoid seeing him! I don't know why I can't get past this mental block - actually I do, it's sheer terror about the results.

I actually like having the test done (weirdo) and have no problems with needles, it's those damn results. And now I am 99% sure there's a few things wrong with me so should have them even more but can't face it. I've booked the tests 3 times and cancelled the day before, it makes me feel physically sick.

Everyone I know thinks I'm pathetic, they just say "Oh just go and get them done, it's no big deal!" and "Well it's better to know if there's something wrong with you". I wish I could see it like that.

I definitely worry about blood test results, like you it's not the needles it's waiting for that phone call about the results, my last lot I rather stupidly turned my phone off the following day just in case they rang me with bad news. I always go for them if they ask me too, but then spend the next few days in panic. I understand how you feel .

crystal17
18-12-16, 20:40
I don't think changing doctors to avoid blood tests is a good idea.
is it not better to have them done and worry a couple of days, than avoid it and worry
about your symptoms indefinitely ?

I know, you're right, I am stupid :weep: You've posted what is perfectly logical and yet I can't force my brain to think of it like that. But I will rebook them tomorrow and try my best to go!

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

I definitely worry about blood test results, like you it's not the needles it's waiting for that phone call about the results, my last lot I rather stupidly turned my phone off the following day just in case they rang me with bad news. I always go for them if they ask me too, but then spend the next few days in panic. I understand how you feel .

Omg turning your phone off is a genius idea! I didn't think of that. Again, illogical but I can see how it helps to deal with the anxiety. Thanks so much for replying it's reassuring to know I'm not alone with this fear.

almamatters
19-12-16, 07:11
I know, you're right, I am stupid :weep: You've posted what is perfectly logical and yet I can't force my brain to think of it like that. But I will rebook them tomorrow and try my best to go!

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

Omg turning your phone off is a genius idea! I didn't think of that. Again, illogical but I can see how it helps to deal with the anxiety. Thanks so much for replying it's reassuring to know I'm not alone with this fear.

Hi Crystal, it did help deal with the anxiety but only for one day, it also stopped other people ringing me which was a bit daft. Better to face up to the fear if you can.

Kay8010
28-12-16, 14:57
Yes I have the same fear, its the results and the damn phone call that I fear.

I have just this morning had a FBC and liver/kidney function tests and fearing they will call me with abnormal results....

crystal17
02-01-17, 19:36
Yes I have the same fear, its the results and the damn phone call that I fear.

I have just this morning had a FBC and liver/kidney function tests and fearing they will call me with abnormal results....

Kay - how was it, did they call you yet? Well done for getting it done, you're braver than me! :yesyes:

GlassPinata
02-01-17, 19:39
Well, heck yeah. We probably ALL do. Fear of ANY "lab work" anything that will cause me to have to wait for results. I drive myself batshit waiting for results. I fear being that wound up and scared.

Kay8010
03-01-17, 13:32
Well bloods are back and all marked satisfactory and/or normal, im not going to question anything im pleased they not abnormal!

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 ----------

OK guys quick question.....my bloods are satisfactory I it may be because the limit for a MCHC is 35, mine was at 35.1, anyone know what this means or had this before?

pulisa
03-01-17, 13:42
You said you weren't going to question anything, Kay. Your bloods are fine so no need to question a .1 discrepancy. Your GP didn't.

Kay8010
03-01-17, 14:55
Pulisa - you are right, if it was serious the Dr would want me to see him ASAP

crystal17
09-01-17, 13:14
Kay I get it, I really do. I'd be exactly the same, worrying about that tiny elevation. It sounds like they were otherwise ok though? I'd say, if the doctors seem worried then worry! But I know it's nowhere near as simple as that when you're right in the middle of it.

I still maintain you are very brave, I can't get myself to have these damn tests :mad:

Kay8010
09-01-17, 13:21
Kay I get it, I really do. I'd be exactly the same, worrying about that tiny elevation. It sounds like they were otherwise ok though? I'd say, if the doctors seem worried then worry! But I know it's nowhere near as simple as that when you're right in the middle of it.

I still maintain you are very brave, I can't get myself to have these damn tests :mad:

Thanks Crystal, I am seeing the GP tomorrow and going to try and get an explanation out of him......PLUS I have a worrisome lump on my left breast that I want him to look at also......ALL THIS WORRY! :weep:

crystal17
09-01-17, 13:43
Aghh it's one thing after another isn't it! So sorry, I know what a stress it all is. Good luck for tomorrow and do update as it helps sometimes to just type it all out and get rid of some of the thoughts!

Kay8010
09-01-17, 14:22
I know blimey I am worried of what the GP says to me tomorrow for both the bloods and this lump, I am so sick of worrying and my heart beating at 1000 bpm.....its awful to constantly feel this way it really is!

Kay8010
10-01-17, 13:25
Crystal, the GP said my bloods are fine and has changed me to start this new drug..... I did not mention the lump as the appointment was going over to 25 minutes and he said 'I need to wrap this up as my other appointments will be late' so never hassled.....should have done in hindsight :(.....I am going private decided this morning...... I have another appointment on Monday for this lump to be looked at (if I do not go private) - what do you think?

crystal17
10-01-17, 22:18
Hi Kay, posted on your other thread you mentioned you had the lump looked at today is that right? I personally would just leave it if the GP today didn't seem concerned, tbh I would go private if I could afford it but it's not an option unfortunately. I love the NHS, I just feel similar to what happened to you, they have a lot of time constraints, they don';t have great mental health provisions and there is so much strain on them through this ****ty governments lack of funding (another thread lol)

BUT this is great news about your blood tests, what a relief! :hugs:

Kay8010
11-01-17, 10:43
Hi Crystal

Yes I got a cancellation yesterday and slotted myself in (online access to my GP surgery, not the best thing for me) I just could not take the worry anymore. I might just leave it now and see how it goes all this worry is causing a massive headache & it is affecting my mood at home (me and hubby are arguing and just recently got married lol, not fair on him also).

Yes, blood work the GP said is fine, nothing to worry about so there you go, till the next time lol - actually I will be having full bloods every 3 months with this new drug so I should now get used it.

I actually looked at going private yesterday and it was £230 for a full consultation including an ultrasound & biopsy if needed however the next appointment was only on the 18th so I gathered wait and see what the GP says and take it from there....I might go private but then again, the worry of the waiting......I am sure if the GP thought 'hang on something doesn't feel right here, she would have asked another GP for a 2nd opinion OR referred me, they cant hang around with these sorts of things.

How are you feeling otherwise?
Thanks for talking to me (it really helps) x

crystal17
11-01-17, 12:17
Hi Crystal

Yes I got a cancellation yesterday and slotted myself in (online access to my GP surgery, not the best thing for me) I just could not take the worry anymore. I might just leave it now and see how it goes all this worry is causing a massive headache & it is affecting my mood at home (me and hubby are arguing and just recently got married lol, not fair on him also).

Yes, blood work the GP said is fine, nothing to worry about so there you go, till the next time lol - actually I will be having full bloods every 3 months with this new drug so I should now get used it.

I actually looked at going private yesterday and it was £230 for a full consultation including an ultrasound & biopsy if needed however the next appointment was only on the 18th so I gathered wait and see what the GP says and take it from there....I might go private but then again, the worry of the waiting......I am sure if the GP thought 'hang on something doesn't feel right here, she would have asked another GP for a 2nd opinion OR referred me, they cant hang around with these sorts of things.

How are you feeling otherwise?
Thanks for talking to me (it really helps) x

No worries at all, I know how much it helps just to say (or type!) the fears to someone and for them to get it and not think you're being ridiculous.

I know it does interfere with home life doesn't it? You can never quite relax, there's always this nagging feeling at the back of your mind that something terrible is going to happen. It's exhausting :mad::weep: I know my partner doesn't understand it at all, he never worries about his health, ever, he just can't comprehend some of the stuff I come out with. So sorry that you're arguing, it doesn't help.

Why not give it til the weekend and see how you feel then? You might find that you feel reassured enough by yesterday's appointment and not feel the need for that 2nd opinion. Then look into booking the private one. What I find though, is that when health anxiety takes hold, there is always SOMETHING to worry about, you get a good result from one appointment or test result but it seems too good to be true so you will find somewhere else to put the worry.

It's like constantly carrying a heavy weight around and needing to put it somewhere on ourselves to focus on! I sometimes wonder what it'd be like to be married to or have a doctor very close to me, I'd probably drive them insane!! I sometimes think it'd be great reassurance to have on tap, but also would it feed the worry too?

I'm not doing too good, anxiety has been at an all time high for the past 3 days, I can't eat properly or sleep, I can't relax at all, am jumping at everything and feel I can't plan anything because I don't feel I should dare. It's horrible. It's mostly triggered by this irregular bleeding and an upcoming smear test on Friday, I am SO scared. Just angry at myself too for not going for more regular tests, I make it worse by avoiding it, just don't know what I'm thinking :wacko:

Anyway, hugs for the day ahead lets hope we can get through it :hugs: xx

Kay8010
11-01-17, 13:36
Hi Crystal

It is a never ending story this side lol, if its not one thing its another, yesterday I actually sat down and thought to myself 'right, if you did not have anything to worry about with your health what would you think about', the sad thing is I could not answer my own question as for the last 13 months all I have been worried about is one health scare or another and do not really know how to think differently.

I am with you on the planning thing, I am so scared to plan a holiday or a weekend away just in case I would need tests or something needs investigating, its bloody crazy as I know its crazy but I cannot snap out of it, in my head its like a bad omen if I begin to plan stuff, like something will come and get me (if that makes sense)

I have not read your post (I shall do), but what is the problem with the intermittent bleeding or what do you think the problem is? A girl at work has the same issue - she is 26 and recently just starting bleeding on & off, the GP also said she needs a smear test to check things, I do not know how old you are but what are you scared of the 'C word'?

Its so funny though as when she told me I said go to the GP, I seem to be so calm with other people's health issue but my own OMG I am freaking out.... my friend is just like 'yes I will make an appointment, its probably nothing' WISH I could be so calm.

I also realized that I have only been with my new GP surgery for about 9 weeks & I have already had 4 appointments with 4 different doctors, surely they must be thinking 'what a total nut case!'

I generally do not worry about money or husbands or cars etc, its just my health, any little thing I need super investigating and I never trust what the doctor says.....

Talk to me if you want or PM me :)

crystal17
12-01-17, 10:53
Hi Crystal

It is a never ending story this side lol, if its not one thing its another, yesterday I actually sat down and thought to myself 'right, if you did not have anything to worry about with your health what would you think about', the sad thing is I could not answer my own question as for the last 13 months all I have been worried about is one health scare or another and do not really know how to think differently.

I am with you on the planning thing, I am so scared to plan a holiday or a weekend away just in case I would need tests or something needs investigating, its bloody crazy as I know its crazy but I cannot snap out of it, in my head its like a bad omen if I begin to plan stuff, like something will come and get me (if that makes sense)

I have not read your post (I shall do), but what is the problem with the intermittent bleeding or what do you think the problem is? A girl at work has the same issue - she is 26 and recently just starting bleeding on & off, the GP also said she needs a smear test to check things, I do not know how old you are but what are you scared of the 'C word'?

Its so funny though as when she told me I said go to the GP, I seem to be so calm with other people's health issue but my own OMG I am freaking out.... my friend is just like 'yes I will make an appointment, its probably nothing' WISH I could be so calm.

I also realized that I have only been with my new GP surgery for about 9 weeks & I have already had 4 appointments with 4 different doctors, surely they must be thinking 'what a total nut case!'

I generally do not worry about money or husbands or cars etc, its just my health, any little thing I need super investigating and I never trust what the doctor says.....

Talk to me if you want or PM me :)

Hello Kay so sorry I've only just had chance to look on here! First of all you're NOT on your own with the GP surgery and so many appointments, I'm always on the phone to them and I'm sure they know my voice now when I ring up :blush: Whenever I walk into an appointment I'm certain they're thinking "Oh its her again". Lol.

Yeah that's exactly it with the planning thing, my sister and parents are trying to sort currently for us to all go away in a month but I can't even talk about it as I feel it's being presumptuous that I'll be able to go! It's ridiculous, I used to live so differently and feel like I actually had a life and freedom.

Oh I hope your friend at work is ok, it's such a scary problem, I'm 36 so there is a chance mine could be hormone related. It's basically that I started spotting mid cycle, then got flu, then my period started on the day it was due but while I was seriously bad with flu and it went away the next day. Then it came back this week. And I'm scared about why this has happened and yes am thinking the worst. Then to make it worse I'm terrified of facing up to it and going to get it sorted but I will do and a friend is coming with me.

Spoke to my mum and she said at 36 the exact same thing started happening to her and was like it for the next 8 years til she hit menopause, so I'm holding onto hope that it's a similar thing.

It's just coping with the anxiety symptoms isn't it, I can't eat properly or sleep, I'm constantly nervous with butterflies, I'm analysing my whole body every second, I can't hold a conversation.

How are things with you today?

Kay8010
12-01-17, 11:21
Hi Crystal

No problem - I am 36 too and even when I think about it I am scared of getting old as when you get old there is more risk, however BREAK THROUGH, I have decided last night that I will not be seeking a 2nd opinion, I have to accept the GP's decision & realize that she knows what the hell she is doing.

I have to move on with my life, I seriously do..... its passing me by. Myself and hubby have tried to start a family about 2 years ago and we still haven't fallen pregnant so I am going to try and concentrate on that with my hubby.

Spotting mid cycle is very common from what I read (at any age) but I know what you mean thinking the worst and wondering...... always checking, feeling and prodding, I get so mad with myself at times that I just sit and cry and wonder 'what the hell am I doing'!!!

Before I went to see the GP with my blood results the night before I slept but was thinking about the results and positioning myself sitting infront of the GP and then woke up in a sweat

CRAZY

crystal17
14-01-17, 18:42
Hi Crystal

No problem - I am 36 too and even when I think about it I am scared of getting old as when you get old there is more risk, however BREAK THROUGH, I have decided last night that I will not be seeking a 2nd opinion, I have to accept the GP's decision & realize that she knows what the hell she is doing.

I have to move on with my life, I seriously do..... its passing me by. Myself and hubby have tried to start a family about 2 years ago and we still haven't fallen pregnant so I am going to try and concentrate on that with my hubby.

Spotting mid cycle is very common from what I read (at any age) but I know what you mean thinking the worst and wondering...... always checking, feeling and prodding, I get so mad with myself at times that I just sit and cry and wonder 'what the hell am I doing'!!!

Before I went to see the GP with my blood results the night before I slept but was thinking about the results and positioning myself sitting infront of the GP and then woke up in a sweat

CRAZY

Hi Kay hope you're doing a bit better now, I think you're making a good decision by not going after that 2nd opinion, I'm beginning to see that constant reassurance doesn't actually help ultimately.

Kay8010
15-01-17, 16:29
Hi Crystal. I was so positive on Friday but yesterday my hubby said i looked slimmer and ofcourse the darn scales have come out!! Im not sure if i have lost weight and my scales at home are weird, they have inaccurate readings, so i dont know what reading to believe! I should be gaining weight by all accounts as im constantly stuffing my face but it seems ive lost some so now the anxiety is kicing in and im terrified to go to boots on those big scales and weigh properly like i do every fortnight or so. Melting down!

pulisa
15-01-17, 21:39
Seriously lose the scales, Kay? You will just be weighing yourself obsessively otherwise. I speak from bitter experience-the scales are not helpful. you know you have been checked out and nothing remotely sinister has been found. Try to accept that and remember your good intentions of a few days ago? Don't let HA get a hold on you again. Don't let the doubts creep back in. Enjoy being a newly wed?

Kay8010
15-01-17, 22:55
I know. Ive had the cough now for 4 weeks and counting so im putting two and two together thinking lung cancer and they missed somethjng last year Feb with the xray that was taken or its grown within a year..... everything is so hard, i was so positive Friday and ive failed in 48 hours!

pulisa
16-01-17, 10:20
You haven't got lung cancer full stop. But only you can believe this.

Concentrate on starting your family with your new husband-there's a whole new horizon opening up for you... Take HA into a pregnancy and you have 9 months of hell (been there). Manage your HA now and think about a new beginning all round x

Kay8010
16-01-17, 11:22
Just freaking me out now.... plus today I have woken with a burning nose and sore shoulder....Goodness me I am seriously falling apart :)

I should really concentrate on my planning but its so hard....how did you overcome your HA?

pulisa
16-01-17, 12:45
I'm not sure that I've overcome it but can manage it. I accept any test results, I don't ask for second opinions or reassurance-nobody can reassure me other than myself and there is never 100% reassurance anyway. I know my red flag symptoms and would not ignore them. I would only want a hospital test/procedure if there was a clinical need for it and would say no if the GP said it was for my own "peace of mind".

I'd advise you to steer clear of the HA board on here as well as you recover.

Kay8010
16-01-17, 13:06
I know what you mean however I really do not know how to overcome the need for reassurance, I mean, I am finding myself right now looking at getting a private chest x-ray to check if there is something in my lungs..........

pulisa
16-01-17, 14:25
And when that comes back clear, when do you draw a line and say enough's enough?

Kay8010
16-01-17, 14:51
I do not think I will ever draw the line until I get professional help, seriously....you told me to loose the scales and I have but I went to boots and got weighed, I have put 7lbs on in 4 weeks......well......do I feel better, yes, but still coughing a hell of a lot!

pulisa
16-01-17, 14:54
You're pretty unique to be putting on weight with lung cancer! Seriously though, can you look on the weight gain as good news?

Kay8010
16-01-17, 15:32
You're pretty unique to be putting on weight with lung cancer! Seriously though, can you look on the weight gain as good news?

I can yes, my hubby always says if you have an appetite and not losing weight chances are you aren't that ill....

pulisa
16-01-17, 17:58
You know he's right, don't you?

Kay8010
16-01-17, 18:18
In all honesty, I do.

pulisa
16-01-17, 20:35
Can you hang on to that truth when the doubts creep in?

Kay8010
16-01-17, 22:25
I can try but tonight i have shoulder pain, chesty cough with brown phlegm and tightness, its nagging me and telling me lung cancer - im sorry i cant help it!

crystal17
16-01-17, 23:56
Hi Kay like I said in a previous post - the health anxiety is a thing in itself and needs somewhere to go and somewhere to cling to! If it's gone from one area then it's bound to move to another. It works it's way around your damn body :blush:

There's loads of viruses going round at the mo, your symptoms sound like that! ;)

TimeSoup
17-01-17, 00:29
What scares me in blood test is that there's ALWAYS some figures that will pop out of charts. I mean, obviously the check list can't be all perfect and there will be -there always is- some kind of abnormality to be found.
Then the GP goes like "it's probably no big deal, we'll do another blood test in a couple of weeks to see if that digit goes down some".
So basically it means a blood test will be a long trip out in the badlands. Long and sleepless.

---------- Post added at 00:29 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

I know what you mean however I really do not know how to overcome the need for reassurance, I mean, I am finding myself right now looking at getting a private chest x-ray to check if there is something in my lungs..........

XRay won't do no good in your case. They can only reveal very large and dense masses. There are only two tests that can do for lung cancer, its a CT scan of the mediastinum and/or a bronchial fiberscopy. But for either test you'll need good reasons and it's only up to a pulmonlogist to prescribe them.

To ease your fear, let me tell you that there is an awful lot of good reasons to experience a cough. Pollution, infections, allergies... to name a few.
Are you a long time smoker?

Kay8010
17-01-17, 00:48
I had a chest xray last year Feb it came back "satisfactory" what ever the heck that means!

Been smoking for about 18 years about 8 or so a day. Stopped for a few years before that and then a few months. I probably have 15 pack years behind me! Its scarying the life out if me

---------- Post added at 23:44 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

Hi Kay like I said in a previous post - the health anxiety is a thing in itself and needs somewhere to go and somewhere to cling to! If it's gone from one area then it's bound to move to another. It works it's way around your damn body :blush:

There's loads of viruses going round at the mo, your symptoms sound like that! ;)

Im tyring to believe thats its a virus but im getting into such a state! 🙁

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:44 ----------

[QUOTE=TimeSoup;1635789]What scares me in blood test is that there's ALWAYS some figures that will pop out of charts. I mean, obviously the check list can't be all perfect and there will be -there always is- some kind of abnormality to be found.
Then the GP goes like "it's probably no big deal, we'll do another blood test in a couple of weeks to see if that digit goes down some".
So basically it means a blood test will be a long trip out in the badlands. Long and sleepless.[COLOR="blue"]

GP said it was insignificant, but my mind says lung cancer! So basically, last years xray could have not picked up lung cancer?!?! GREAT!

crystal17
17-01-17, 23:23
What scares me in blood test is that there's ALWAYS some figures that will pop out of charts. I mean, obviously the check list can't be all perfect and there will be -there always is- some kind of abnormality to be found.
So basically it means a blood test will be a long trip out in the badlands. Long and sleepless.

Timesoup yep, that pretty much sums it up! When they say it's 'probably' nothing, that makes me more terrified and when they talk about ruling things out I near enough hyperventilate!

Long and sleepless is not wrong :lac::wacko:

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

Aww Kay how are you doing tonight? I think lung cancer is pretty rare in people our age.

You said about the weight loss before, could that be stress?

Kay8010
18-01-17, 12:25
Hi Crystal

I was struggling last night, had a proper melt down...seriously thought 'this is it!'

I weighed myself on Monday morning and gained about 7lbs in a month.

pulisa
18-01-17, 12:32
So what does this tell you?

Kay8010
18-01-17, 14:01
Not quite sure to be honest!

pulisa
18-01-17, 14:16
Cancer and weight gain? Surely the opposite would be happening?

Kay8010
18-01-17, 15:26
So the literature suggests, I guess stranger things can happen

crystal17
19-01-17, 00:48
Hi Crystal

I was struggling last night, had a proper melt down...seriously thought 'this is it!'

I weighed myself on Monday morning and gained about 7lbs in a month.

Hi Kay, aww I'm sorry you struggled last night :weep: what happened to make you think 'this is it' and what was it you were especially worried about?

How are you tonight?

Kay8010
19-01-17, 18:26
I feel down. Shoulder still feeling dull, im so lost and scared

crystal17
20-01-17, 12:42
Oh god I'm sorry :( bloody nightmare isn't it? Could it be frozen shoulder? Just thinking there's sooo many more things it's likely to be than lung cancer.

Kay8010
20-01-17, 12:51
Thanks. I am giving it another week and then going to the Dr if the cough/shoulder has not eased....

p.s. have you been for your smear or to see the GP again?

crystal17
20-01-17, 14:25
I had to cancel it as I was still bleeding but got it booked for Monday - fingers crossed I'll go!

Went to GP earlier in the week, she put me on diazepam low dose just enough for a week to help me get through the smear and the extreme anxiety I have at the mo. It's horrendous :(

Good idea giving the cough and shoulder a week, I always think with symptoms, give them a week or so and if they're still there THEN seek medical help. Loads of things tend to just disappear, the human body is a mysterious thing lol.

Kay8010
20-01-17, 16:16
I hope you get to go on Monday - I just had mine on Tuesday and thats in the back of my mind now also (without realizing).

Hate feeling so 'abnormal' it just really gets to me, I struggle to do anything else....always on my mind

Bigboyuk
20-01-17, 17:23
Kay Hun to be honest with you I think at the mo every pain you get or ache you are having you immediately think oh it's cancer well it isn't so take comfort in those words and try and chill a bit :) Cheers

crystal17
20-01-17, 17:38
Thank you, would honestly prefer to bite my fingertips off one by one than go to it! lol :D

Yeah I know what you mean, it's the 'abnormal' feeling, its draining. Try not to think about your smear you have enough going on!

How's the shoulder now?

Kay8010
20-01-17, 18:34
Kay Hun to be honest with you I think at the mo every pain you get or ache you are having you immediately think oh it's cancer well it isn't so take comfort in those words and try and chill a bit :) Cheers

Really have to try :)

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

Thank you, would honestly prefer to bite my fingertips off one by one than go to it! lol :D

Yeah I know what you mean, it's the 'abnormal' feeling, its draining. Try not to think about your smear you have enough going on!

How's the shoulder now?

Its a weird one, it was achy yesterday, today its kind of there but not...... I am so sick and tired of worrying...I read this story of a 33 year old woman, had shoulder ache for weeks, coughing too, was diagnosed with Stage 4 inoperable LC.....that tipped me over the edge!

crystal17
20-01-17, 19:15
Ah ok, you read a story and put bits of it together, identified with it and applied it to your own situation. Believe me I do that several times a day with various things! We just have to keep remembering that those awful, sad stories are incredibly rare, yes they do happen but if we actually believe they are happening to us rather than the most simple explanation we will go nuts.

I can't take my own advice though so am not much help. I've spent most of today in a complete panic and thought that life isn't meant to be like this so what's the point of it all.

But I guess the benefit of someone else seeing it from an outside perspective is that they aren't involved and can be a bit more logical. Based on what you say, I really don't think it's likely to be lung cancer.

Sounds like a lingering virus mixed with smokers cough and you've strained your shoulder or slept funny on it. I smoked for years, I know what it's like! I used to smoke through colds and flu too and it made the cough that much worse to get rid of.

When I had an operation last year they asked if I smoked, I said no but asked why they asked and they said when smokers have the tube down their throat for general anaesthetic they bring up loads of brown phlegm (sorry TMI :ohmy:) so coughing that up is common, I used to often when I smoked.

Health anxiety makes us take lots of pieces of different puzzles and put them together to make our own, very real feeling puzzle. Except in reality all the pieces are disjointed and messed up and don't actually fit together. But it's like being hypnotised or something.

Try to keep strong and give it a few more days :hugs:

Kay8010
21-01-17, 14:14
I have been reading again this morning, ridiculous, checking age statistics for lung cancer and my age, regardless of age Lung cancer is very possible in my case, this is genuinely freaking me out, I am a smoker so it is very very possible plus this whole darn shoulder thing is making it worse now.

Sorry just freaking out this side!

Bigboyuk
21-01-17, 14:56
I have been reading again this morning, ridiculous, checking age statistics for lung cancer and my age, regardless of age Lung cancer is very possible in my case, this is genuinely freaking me out, I am a smoker so it is very very possible plus this whole darn shoulder thing is making it worse now.

Sorry just freaking out this side! OMG Kay Stop it you are driving me crazy ( Iam not having a go at you :) ) You are a very small smoker stop reading about this bull crap and read a good book or some thing please for your own sake :)

Kay8010
21-01-17, 15:07
Non-smokers get lung cancer also........if you smoke 1 or 100 you are still at high risk

Bigboyuk
21-01-17, 15:18
Non-smokers get lung cancer also........if you smoke 1 or 100 you are still at high risk True every body has cancer cells in their body and lie dormant for years some will get others wont you need to take stock of your self if you are still unsure see your Dr and get all the tests possible done. Think you have too much time on your hands so you mind is in overdrive. Do something constructive with your time :) Seeking help (which you are) Taking advice and moving on I already have phoned Changes and plan to make appointment etc and you??

Kay8010
21-01-17, 15:20
Think you have too much time on your hands so you mind is in overdrive. Do something constructive with your time :)

Hence why you are on here as you have so much time?

crystal17
21-01-17, 15:29

Sorry just freaking out this side!

Ok..not sure what else I can say. It's a bloody nightmare, that much I know as am struggling too.

Just do whatever you can to push for more help for this anxiety as it will send your brain into overdrive.

Kay8010
21-01-17, 15:37
Ok..not sure what else I can say. It's a bloody nightmare, that much I know as am struggling too.

Just do whatever you can to push for more help for this anxiety as it will send your brain into overdrive.

Bigboyuk
21-01-17, 15:44
We are all struggling to get better that's for sure so I am making steps in that direction :)

crystal17
21-01-17, 15:52
Also - don't look up cancer statistics FFS!!!!! I did that a few years ago, what happens is the anxiety part of your brain only sees each percentage or number as a 'positive' representation that you could be one of them!

So if a brain tumour (for example) is 3 people in every 1000 you instantly believe that you are one of those 3.

We can't look at things like that rationally, please stop yourself doing it I promise you no good will come of it. Go back to GP monday, mention the shoulder pain and cough and say you're really struggling to cope with your thoughts.

Kay8010
21-01-17, 16:03
Go back to GP monday, mention the shoulder pain and cough and say you're really struggling to cope with your thoughts.[/QUOTE]

Earliest I could get is Jan 31st.. will have to wait.

crystal17
21-01-17, 16:59
Does your surgery do book on the day appointments? If not maybe just try to get through things one day at a time I know it's a cliche but that mindset can help.

Hopefully this cough and pain will go asap.

Bigboyuk
21-01-17, 17:20
That's a very long wait in my book. My surgery is very similar you could ask if there is a cancelation to fit you in before that I do hope you can get your problem sorted Iam sorry for the min out burst earlier :) Cheers

Carrie8484
21-01-17, 17:58
Kay I struggle with my cancer phobia too. Every niggle / symptom and I think 'cancer' straight away. This week I've had terrible migraines with neck stiffness and dizziness (brain tumour) problems with my cycle (ovarian cancer) and possible bowel cancer. But I know, deep down, these things are very unlikely.
Basically what I'm saying is, for us health anxiety sufferers, we believe every little thing to be cancer. But we can't live like this because we are just wasting our lives. One day, we May get cancer, sadly the statistics are high, but this is more likely to be when we are much older , and we will have wasted all our cancer free years worrying about it rather than living !
I would try and stay away from the Dr unless it's to chat about your mental health. Try and speak to others e.g. Family/friends about your symptoms who may be able to empathise and tell you it's normal (e.g. Persistent cough after a cold) before rushing off to the GP and being in the cycle of reassurance again.

Kay8010
21-01-17, 21:12
Thanks for the message. Have extra anxiety now as hubby said i woke up up with the coughing last night and now when i breathe in deeply the shoulder pain strengthens, im so anxious right now. Attempted to have a drink but cant even do that, how much longer have I got thats all I am thinking! Plus breathlessness and coughing brown stuff which i read can be old blood!! GREAT!

crystal17
31-01-17, 23:42
Hope you're doing alright Kay.