PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about esophageal cancer. What else could cause temporary trouble swallowing

Ronan23
18-12-16, 20:11
I'm a 26-year-old male of average weight who has had intermittent issues with heartburn for the last five or six years. Two months ago, I experienced some really worrying symptoms, but I never got them checked out. This was during a period of time when I was eating a lot of spicy food and drinking quite a lot of coffee.

Anyway--I had issues swallowing for about 4 days. This was all preceded by a horrible bitter taste at the back of my throat for a few weeks, that seemed to only occur anytime I drank more than a cup of coffee. It was associated with increased mucus production, and it was the mucus that tasted bad.

When the pain struck, it was so weird, like a pain in my chest every time I swallowed, that I could literally feel as my food went down. I remember one time while I experienced this swallowing difficulty, I woke up, coughed, and felt something in my mouth. I spat it out into my hand and it was this piece of something green that smelled absolutely awful...it smelled exactly like that bitter taste that I described...like maybe it was regurgitated food.

I actually suffer from health anxiety, and I had myself convinced that I was going to die from esophageal cancer during this period of swallowing problems. I relaxed on the spicy food and coffee, took some lansoprazole (I think that's the name), and the swallowing issue went away. It hasn't yet returned.

But for the last three weeks, I've had a cough that I can't seem to shake off. And one problem that hasn't quite resolved yet is the horrible bitter taste in my mucus, especially after drinking more than one cup of coffee.
I'm struggling to think what else could've caused that temporary swallowing issue? And now with my cough, I'm worried about cancer again. Can a normal case of GERD flare up to the extent that you experience pain when swallowing for a few days?

Thanks for any help.

Fishmanpa
18-12-16, 20:16
Coffee is an irritant and will aggravate reflux which is what I believe you're experiencing.

Positive thoughts

Sande
19-12-16, 00:33
I take lanzoprazol and still have flare ups and ither have to up my dose or religiously take gaviscon advance, could the horrible green thing you coughed up pissy e a tonsil stone, some are green and they smell but also when mine are bad I get a really bitter taste, but reflux gives a bitter taste to and it could be phlegm that has been sat in the throat soaking up acid and has been coughed up. Just some suggestions. Like said before coffee is one of the top no nos for people with reflux, if I have a few coffees I'm in pain in my chest and have bad reflux.