PDA

View Full Version : Occupational therapy?

tricia56
19-12-16, 12:24
Hi has any one had occupational therapy to help with thier anxiety as the metal health team has refers me and some one is coming to see me on wens day to asses me and I've never heard of occupational therapy helping people with anxiety before and I'm feeling quite anxiouse about it and just wonderd if anyone else has had it.

Fishmanpa
19-12-16, 12:38
During my wife's recovery, she's had three aspects of therapy, Physical, Occupational and Speech.

Occupational therapy is about helping one to do the things they need to do daily in life such as bathe, dress, cook etc. in order to live independently and with quality of life. So if you've been referred, the mental health team must feel some aspect of your daily life is being impaired by your mental health. You'll be assessed and then if needed, the OT will work with you to develop goals and activities/exercises designed to help you achieve them.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
19-12-16, 12:46
The NHS explain it here:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/occupational-therapy/Pages/introduction.aspx

Trying to make you able to work around things you are recovering from or finding solutions to them if you are impaired for some reason.

tricia56
19-12-16, 13:01
Thk u fish manga I think it's because I do struggle with a lot of things because i am scared of bieng afraid of the anxiety and it's symtoms and the way I feel it does stop me doing anything and ovoid a lot things so maybe having the therapy might help me in some way , I just wasn't sure if occupational therapy could help in that way.

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 ----------

Thks terry I don't have anything physical wrong with me so not sure why they have referd me I'm starting to worry abit now over it now .

Fishmanpa
19-12-16, 13:14
Tricia, occupational therapy is not about the physical. It's about everyday things we need to do in order to live with quality of life. It addresses things like that.

I know from your posts that you struggle with some everyday life things (like getting out of the house to shop) so keep an open mind, and don't stress about it. They're there to help.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
19-12-16, 13:16
Thks terry I don't have anything physical wrong with me so not sure why they have referd me I'm starting to worry abit now over it now .

It covers mental health conditions too, Tricia. Depression is mentioned as are other ones that can benefit from support of this kind.

pulisa
19-12-16, 13:18
There's normally an occupational therapy team attached to a community mental health unit so it's not just about physical problems. It's an additional approach to looking at ways to manage anxiety from an occupational therapy point of view. No one is suggesting that you have a physical problem.

Magic
19-12-16, 16:07
Hope all goes well for you on Wednesday tricia. let us know how you go on:hugs:x