PDA

View Full Version : What to say to the doctor?

duke27
19-12-16, 16:55
Does anyone else feel like it's hard speaking to a doctor? For starters they normally put everything down to anxiety and depression. I've got to the point now where I don't even know what I want them to test. I have so many symptoms. Stomach acid, lumps ans bumps, dizziness, fatigye, tiredness, soft stools and the list goes on. Just feels like a never ending battle.

Fishmanpa
19-12-16, 16:58
You could always print out some of your threads, send links to them or have them read them on your phone or tablet. Your posts speak volumes about how you're feeling.

Positive thoughts

SLA
19-12-16, 17:14
What you call "symptoms" duke I tend to see as "facts of life".

Your expectation that everything should be perfect all of the time is completely unrealistic.

If I stopped at any moment in time and reflected on how I was feeling, I could probably list a few things which were negative.

Fatigue and tiredness are the same thing, and happen when.... you are fatigued or tired!

Are we never meant to feel tired?

Stomach acid is.... well... integral to the digestion of food.

Dizziness is also just one of those things that happens.

You are multiplying all of these "symptoms" together and causing yourself mental anguish.

Your thinking is the root cause of the problem.

Fishmanpa makes a great suggestion. Write something down, or show them some forum posts.

Brian_VA
19-12-16, 19:16
What you call "symptoms" duke I tend to see as "facts of life".

Your expectation that everything should be perfect all of the time is completely unrealistic.

If I stopped at any moment in time and reflected on how I was feeling, I could probably list a few things which were negative.

Fatigue and tiredness are the same thing, and happen when.... you are fatigued or tired!

Are we never meant to feel tired?

Stomach acid is.... well... integral to the digestion of food.

Dizziness is also just one of those things that happens.

You are multiplying all of these "symptoms" together and causing yourself mental anguish.

Your thinking is the root cause of the problem.

Fishmanpa makes a great suggestion. Write something down, or show them some forum posts.

Very well said

swajj
19-12-16, 22:58
Are you receiving counselling?

A doctor is not going to keep ordering tests based on what you fear you have. Nor should they because unless you have private medical insurance it is a drain on the public purse. When a patient presents with vague symptoms over and over again a doctor will usually conclude that it is a mental health problem and should be dealt with by a mental health professional.

Lily777
20-12-16, 04:29
I know what you mean when you feel like your doctor filters each of your symptoms through your anxiety first, so you often feel like something is being ignored or not taken seriously. The honest truth is that doctors are right alot of the time. There's been times where I was so sure of something, then upon being tested, it turns out my doctor was right all along. I can completely understand and I know how hard it is to accept when a doctor tells you that you're okay.