PDA

View Full Version : Panicking - Apparently blood tests aren't 100% accurate.

cjemc
19-12-16, 17:47
I have had blood tests coming back normal for many years now but I was just reading an article about blood tests and I quote it said "Damage can still be present even if a test comes back negative"!!!

Panicking now, so for all the tests I have had are you trying to tell me that they aren't accurate markers for inflammation/infection, etc?

The test I was reading about was Liver Function. Apparently it only gives a very slight idea about any damage and isn't specific???

Why send people for these tests if they are not accurate markers?

SLA
19-12-16, 18:02
Post a link to the article.

cjemc
19-12-16, 18:12
https://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/liver-information/tests-and-screening/liver-function-tests/

pulisa
19-12-16, 18:21
Why are you searching out these articles? I would be very relieved if my bloods had come back all clear.

Fishmanpa
19-12-16, 18:23
Dr. Google strikes again :doh:

Positive thoughts

.Poppy.
19-12-16, 18:31
Can you specify which part of that article is troubling to you? From what I'm reading, it is possible for there to be an abnormal test result when everything is fine, but it doesn't say anything about tests coming back as normal when something is wrong.

Besides which, if you have been having blood tests for years, even if one came back wrong it's almost impossible for ALL of them to come back that way.

pulisa
19-12-16, 18:33
Would you feel justified if you had an abnormal blood test result?

cjemc
19-12-16, 18:42
Can you specify which part of that article is troubling to you? From what I'm reading, it is possible for there to be an abnormal test result when everything is fine, but it doesn't say anything about tests coming back as normal when something is wrong.

Besides which, if you have been having blood tests for years, even if one came back wrong it's almost impossible for ALL of them to come back that way.

I apologise. I may have read the article the wrong way.

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

Why are you searching out these articles? I would be very relieved if my bloods had come back all clear.

I search out these articles because I like to explore all possibilities and do my own research when it comes to my health.

---------- Post added at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

Would you feel justified if you had an abnormal blood test result?

I don't know what that means?

pulisa
19-12-16, 18:52
I meant do you think you are physically ill and that the blood tests are not giving an accurate picture of your state of health? Would you think "told you so" if you were actually sent for tests which showed up a health problem?

cjemc
19-12-16, 18:55
I meant do you think you are physically ill and that the blood tests are not giving an accurate picture of your state of health? Would you think "told you so" if you were actually sent for tests which showed up a health problem?

So you think I have nothing to worry about then?

SLA
19-12-16, 19:07
I can't find that quote anywhere in the article, sorry!

pulisa
19-12-16, 19:29
So you think I have nothing to worry about then?

Other than searching for a physical problem when you should be addressing your chronic anxiety issues, no. But these questions should be addressed to your GP not to an anxiety forum.

cjemc
19-12-16, 19:40
Other than searching for a physical problem when you should be addressing your chronic anxiety issues, no. But these questions should be addressed to your GP not to an anxiety forum.

I don't want to hassle my GP. He's a busy guy.

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

I can't find that quote anywhere in the article, sorry!

Like I said I misread the article.