PDA

View Full Version : How do i stop pulse checking??

Ethansmom
20-12-16, 16:32
This is a very bad habit of mine! I'm worried when its too slow or fast. I constantly check and obsess. I worry that it's going to just stop! Any advice??

Sphincterclench
20-12-16, 16:38
How are you checking? Manually??

bin tenn
20-12-16, 16:40
Just don't. Force yourself to perform some other (more positive/constructive) action when you want to check your pulse. I used to do it all the time. I couldn't keep track of how many times per hour I was checking it because it was so often, but most times I didn't even realize I had been doing it. Replace the bad habit with a good one.

Hey, Sphincterclench. Fancy seeing you here... :D

Ethansmom
20-12-16, 16:41
yes, manually! I finally put away the fitbit and now i'm checking my wrists. Very bad habit for someone with health anxiety. I am taking Zoloft and am worried that it's going to affect my heart. Taking medicine causes me anxiety!

Sphincterclench
20-12-16, 16:52
Just don't. Force yourself to perform some other (more positive/constructive) action when you want to check your pulse. I used to do it all the time. I couldn't keep track of how many times per hour I was checking it because it was so often, but most times I didn't even realize I had been doing it. Replace the bad habit with a good one.

Hey, Sphincterclench. Fancy seeing you here... :D

good to see you as well :)

---------- Post added at 10:52 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

I can tell you for me I have a smart watch that tracks it for me, and I just check if I feel off.

Saying that I am also compulsive about weight and Blood pressure and have purchased appliances that transmit data to my smart watch.

its a vicious cycle. I need to lose weight but the second a pound comes off I immediately attribute it to cancer and will actually eat more to make sure I can still put weight back on. Being borderline diabetic this is a really stupid thing to do as weight loss could stave off the diabetes for a while I am over weight and could stand to lose a good deal of weight (6'1 270)

Ethansmom
20-12-16, 16:53
Thanks Binn! Maybe i'll try to do squats or push ups every time I try to check my pulse! Good to see you here Binn!

SLA
20-12-16, 16:55
It won't stop.

Checking doesn't change anything. You cannot detect irregularities doing this, and wouldn't be able to tell if anything is wrong.

So you are essentially wasting your time and mental energy.

Ethansmom
20-12-16, 17:35
Your right. I have to stop myself from doing this==== it makes my anxiety spiral out of control- which eventually leads to more issues. Thanks guys!

swajj
20-12-16, 22:13
I agree with SLA. When I was having skipped beats (incessantly for months) I would manually take my pulse and it was all over the place. Jumping, skipping, fluttering and seemingly stopping. My doctor took no notice of my pulse at all. He did listen to my heart though. I still couldn't stop taking it though. So I made a deal with myself that I would only take it once a day, when I first woke up and before my anxiety kicked in. It worked and eventually I forgot to take it.