PDA

View Full Version : Hello. Help needed!

mrs-flanny
20-12-16, 17:04
Hi there, thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Jess, I'm 30.
I've had depression since I was about 15 and more recently I have developed anxiety, my score on the initial assessment for my counselling was 18/21 but not sure what that means. I'm on the waiting list for CBT which apparently is 6-8 weeks.

3 weeks ago I was at works Xmas do and had my first ever panic attack. Since then I have had smaller attacks quite often, then last Wednesday at work I had a big one that lasted 40 minutes. They sent me home and I have been off work since. However, I have found myself unable to go out of the house, whenever I come to having to leave the house I have a big panic attack again.
I've been put on citalopram and propranolol but not feeling anything from them yet. I don't know what to do about work, they're expecting me back tomorrow but I an panicking just thinking about it. Yet I can't stay off as I can't afford to because we don't get sick pay!!

So yeah, don't know what to do!!

venusbluejeans
20-12-16, 17:10
Hiya mrs-flanny and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Mochi
20-12-16, 17:17
Hi there! I am an 8 year anxiety sufferer. I too have panic attacks and feel unable to function in my life sometimes.

I will say though, that your mind is a powerful thing and you CAN control the thoughts. Make a plan, write it down, post it on a mirror and stick to it the best you can. Here are some steps to consider:

Lay down, put your hands on your belly and take deep breaths (in your nose, out your mouth) to counts of 8. Do this for 1 minute.

Put on some music that makes you happy (I am trying to put together a good happy mix with the help of fellow forum members... check that post out)

Move your body. Go for a walk outside if you can (fresh air and trees are good for the anxious brain) if you can't go outside run in place or do jumping jacks or something to get your blood pumping.

Then tell yourself that you have to go to work, it's not a choice and that losing your job or losing pay would probably cause more anxiety so ....

I hope this helps a little :)

Hang in there!

M